Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationality-ism/Racism on Daft

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

TCollins wrote:
    Surely they could come up with any reason they liked.
    What if they didnt rent it to you because they dont like the smell of ya! :)
    Is there a law against that i wonder?

I wouldn't advise anyone to go to the equality tribunal with that reason, unless they have five grand compensation to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I wouldn't advise anyone to go to the equality tribunal with that reason, unless they have five grand compensation to spare.

Why not, just because its not PC to tell people they stink? You cant say to me you've never been sitting on a bus or train etc where you havent had to move because of a stink of BO :)
    Seems to me this would be a valid reason to not rent a house to someone, even if not PC.

Its only an example of a reason not to let a place to someone thats not PC. It only came into my head because we rejected someone that came to rent a room in our rented house when we were students because the smell or her hurt our noses. Otherwise she would have been great. But noone wanted to live with a smelly girl. Should we have maybe had five grand in our pockets to pay at the equality tribunal?

I'm not arguing about buses or trains. I'm telling you what is likely to happen if you end up in tribunal with a story like that.

I'm not arguing about buses or trains. I'm telling you what is likely to happen if you end up in tribunal with a story like that.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that if a person refuses to let a room to a person that stinks that they would lose a case on this? How do you know?

I didn't say anything about renting a room.

I am telling you what would happen if you ended up at a tribunal with that as your only reason for not letting an apartment or house to a person.

• Advertisement

I didn't say anything about renting a room.

I am telling you what would happen if you ended up at a tribunal with that as your only reason for not letting an apartment or house to a person.

It think it would be a valid reason, as would many more reasons. I would imagine it would be very difficult to get pulled up on equality charges when renting a house.

Possibly though if you write 'Irish Only' in the add you might be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Has the tribunal ever supported a discrimination claim based on grounds other than the nine grounds from the Equal Status Acts (which don't of course include smell)?

* Family status
    * Sexual orientation
    * Religious belief
    * Race colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins
    * Membership of the Traveller community

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would it not be reasonable argument to say that if a person doesn't look after thenselves you have a serious doubt as to how they would look after your house? If a person doesn't care enough about themeslves to have a shower and use some smellies how would they treat a house they don't own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

TCollins wrote:
    Had an interesting conversation with my landlord last week.
    He owns the 2-bed house a few doors down from me as well, and this is rented to 3 people (nationalities unknown, but not Irish) for the last 3 months.
    I've seen many people coming and going but i had not expected what i was about to hear.

To cut a long story short, the landlord was telling me that he was letting another house in the area and who turns up at the door to view the house but the 2 people who were renting the original house off ,who had not paid the previous 2 months rent as they had moved to a new job and had given a sob story with the tears and everything. The 2 months rent was due in a week.

He went mad and went over to the house to throw them out.

As he arrived people were running out the front door, back door all over the place. carrying bags and some with sleeping bags (the other people had phoned to warn them).

Then he found about some more sleeping bags and belongings all over the floor and even one in the shed where a bed was made, i sh!t you not. Obviously these belonged to the people who were not home.

The place was wrecked.

Says he's only renting to Irish people in future :)
    Might be his add on Daft.

After discussing this hilarious story with other people i know who are into property, it seems this is a common con.
    oh yes because people come from eastern europe all the way over here to scam a shed to live in off us! or maybe their desperate, and Ireland is too expensive to live in.

Scamming a shed for bedroom a disgrace kick em all out. Scum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm not a fan of landlords as they've been having it their own way for a long time. But I'm in business myself so I don't like when people get ripped off. Before now you had some chance of tracking down an Irish person if they ripped you off but with non-nationals they can much more easily do a legger. The tenants in my block change all the time, I imagine it would be very difficult to keep track of them. If I was letting out a property I would want Irish people as they are less likely to rip me off and get away with it. I ran two internet cafes and my business depended on non-nationals so it isn't bigotry just practicality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

oh yes because people come from eastern europe all the way over here to scam a shed to live in off us! or maybe their desperate, and Ireland is too expensive to live in.

Depends- lots of us have been in similar situations.
    I had to do a years work experience as part of my primary degree. My weekly stipend didn't cover my bus trip home at the weekend, never mind accommodation and food. I camped out a lot and in the winter stayed in a shed (with the permission of the owner). I also lived in a barn in Denmark for a while (while working in a nearby garden centre as a student)

I am aware of several students on grants of 8k per annum doing similar in a few different locations around the country.....

In my case it saved a lot of money that I simply couldn't afford to pay at the time. Looking back, I was probably a bit insane to do it....... I shudder to think of it now......

Ireland doesn't have to be too expensive- maybe they just want to save their money so they can send it home- or put it towards another use. If they are willing to live in accommodation like that- and they are not being exploited, let them. However the landlord should not find out about it in the manner that the OP did- and indeed if he is familiar with the situation should not accept it.

Where did i say they were Eastern European?

Why did you pick eastern European out of all the nationalities you could have chosen from?

Is it because you somehow expect this behavior of Eastern Europeans yourself :)

That seems a little bit racist on your part to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's not a private home it's a house for rent. A publican can't exclude people from his pub just because it's "his".
    Actually, he can. Management have the right to refuse entry.

=-=

Females only.

No 1st years.

No welfare cheques.

All discrimination. Only one is "wrong", but how can someone on a welfare cheque live on the remaining €10 for a week (after the rest is spent on rent)? I know: eat your food!
    TCollins wrote:
    Why not, just because its not PC to tell people they stink? You cant say to me you've never been sitting on a bus or train etc where you havent had to move because of a stink of BO :)
    Parents rented out the spare room once. Never again. The b|tch who rented it never washed, stank all the time, and when she left, we had to air the room out for two weeks!

=-=

I know a few chinese who are live in the one house. The landlord is cool with it: he gets the rent, so he doesn't mind, but the post above: they rented the place out, but never paid the landlord rent. He has a right to be angry about it.

=-=

I'd like to see a man win a discrimination case against a "female's only" rule. Ain't going to happen, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yes it's racist. Yes it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A girl I used to work with did a J1 in Cape Cod. 23 of them in the house until the Health Inspector called. I think only 15 were allowed stay based on number of rooms, bathrooms, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Brooklyn74

Victor wrote:
    A girl I used to work with did a J1 in Cape Cod. 23 of them in the house until the Health Inspector called. I think only 15 were allowed stay based on number of rooms, bathrooms, etc.

Yeah when I lived in San Francisco the J1s were notorious for overcrowding and tearing their accommodation to shreds! A lot of landlords wouldn't rent to them at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Don't shoot me for this one - but I've got to agree with the advert - in some ways! I live in a large house and let out two rooms in a house share scenario. Each time I let out the rooms to our international visitors I end up experiencing problems re. the fact that they agree to the "house rules" i.e. guests staying over, cleaning rota, paying bills on certain dates etc. and then refuse to abide by them. I'm at the stage now where I have 2 lads that I will have to ask to leave - because they will not pull their weight, re. cleaning etc. they are driving me mad because no matter what I ask of them - nicely - jokingly - seriously - verbally - written notes etc. I just feel they are laughing at me. A friend of mine is now going to translate a note into German for me to hang above the toilet - so they "may" just finally understand that hygiene standards must be abided by. I really think when they're trying to find accommodation they'll verbally agree to anything but when they move in it's a different story. I've learnt a valuable lesson though - in future I will have a written agreement I will ask people to sign re. the "house rules" .

So is the problem

(a) that they are dirty and slovenly

or

(b) that they are foreign?

Anyway, your situation is a house share, it's a different situation from the advertisement referred to by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

My point is that in 5 years my experience of "house sharing" has been no big issues with Irish lodgers. But I've had HUGE problems with foreign lodgers. That is all that I am saying.

I know my comments don't apply as the legalities re. letting out a house/apartment is a different rental scenario to house sharing.

I'm just stating that I can understand if a landlord through either renting out rooms/properties/sharing has had a bad experience - then they're going to be more protective of themselves and their property re. who they are letting to.

I've been given Workplace references in the past - only to discover later the workplace Manager giving the reference was a personal friend of the lodger, from their home town. How honest was that referral?!*

Anyway, by the looks of things I'll have my next advert on Daft again soon - and I may be even more choosey with my wording! I may be viewed as sexist/racist/student'ist/unemployed'ist - at this stage all I want is a couple of lodgers who are a bit more respectful to their landlord/house-share mate!

Advertisement