Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationality-ism/Racism on Daft

Options
  • 31-05-2007 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

3 bed house in excellent condition recently decorated,close to all local amenities, front & rear gardens, gas central heating, small IRISH family or couple. available for immediate occupancy.

www.daft.ie/214539

I'll be interested to see how long this ad lasts.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Morrigan wrote:
    3 bed house in excellent condition recently decorated,close to all local amenities, front & rear gardens, gas central heating, small IRISH family or couple. available for immediate occupancy.

www.daft.ie/214539

I don't get it. are you being pedantic or trying to be funny?

I wouldn't call that Nationality-ism or Racism.

If it said no <inset nationality here> then maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Yes, racism is rampant on that site. Close it all down. Example!

Get a grip OP, its your house, you should be able to choose who you live with/rent it out to. Equality should only exist in the work place.

BTW look at the amount of ads saying Girls Only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

kearnsr wrote:
    I don't get it. are you being pedantic or trying to be funny?

I wouldn't call that Nationality-ism or Racism.

If it said no <inset nationality here> then maybe

It says no <nationality of any type except Irish>! How is that not being racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Brooklyn74

If I'm not mistaken, the Equal Status Act allows discrimination in housing only if you're sharing the home with the person(s) you're renting to. Otherwise it is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I worked in Germany for years and it was hard to find accommodation in the early 90's due to Irish students wrecking rented apartments. Saw another story in the Sunday World last year about the same cr@p happening in the US. Maybe the same thing is happening here with non-national workers. Maybe the landlord has a previous bad experience with non-nationals, who knows, if this bothers you so much why not contact the landlord and make a complaint. I know of one house down the street that was left in tatters by non-nationals, it took months for the landlord to repair, once repaired he sold the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Morrigan wrote:

www.daft.ie/214539

Yep that ad is unPCish and discriminatory against a lot of groups.
    It states "small" family or couple.
    So it is discriminating against tall big people, it is discriminatory against big families since only want small families.
    Also just spotted it is discriminatory against single people.
    We will have to brainstorm, oops can say that since discriminating against people with epilepsey (sorry about spelling, not being discriminatory, just can't spell). And if you say anything against me you are being unPCish about people with dsylexia.

Spot a trend yet!

As Enda said we will get rid of all the "ishes" if we are elected.
    Could statrt with PCish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

There's nothing stopping the person from discriminating in more subtle ways. You can tell them to alter the advert, and then they'll just tell any foreign people who enquire that the place is gone. You really can't stop this.

I'd imagine the main reason landlords want "Irish" people is part old-fashioned xenophobia, and partly because many Polish/Russian/Lithuanian people are here as a money making exercise and therefore will want to rent cheap. To this end a couple of people may rent an apartment officially, but in reality another 2/3 people may live there to split the rent. Much like many Irish students would probably do in the U.S or Australia - I know of people recalling living in apartments with 10/11 other people (and these were not big places).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- I don't see what the issue is......
    The house next door to me was rented by 6 Polish lads working on a local development. The development was mothballed two weeks ago- the lads have stated they do not intend to pay rent for June and are going to London, where they have been offered work for the same contractor they were working for here. The landlord is livid- but short of starting eviction proceedings- by which time they will already have left the country- there is not a lot he can do.

Re: Irish only- so what. I was refused summer jobs in Germany because I was Irish, I was tripped up in the street in Kenya because I was white, I was asked by an American relative whether we had indoor bathrooms in Ireland. I don't give a damn.

Perhaps it might have been more sensetive of the landlord to seek a young couple, or professionals for his house- which most probably would have equated to the same (though builders and those in the construction industry consider themselves professionals these days.......)

I think the landlord is being nationalist, rather than racist. He doesn't say anywhere that a black Irish couple can't apply to him- that would be racist.

Re: "small" Irish family- jmayo- he meant the number of people in the family, not their height. I come from a large Irish family (of 9)- so obviously it wouldn't be reasonable to try to fit an abnormal number of people in a smallish 3 bedroom house.

Single people- I doubt the landlord would mind- but 1,300 per month would be out the reach of single people- its a house, not an apartment. If a single person of sufficient means applied- who knows......

He didn't say anything like "No welfare cheques acceptable" or any other stuff- so I say live and let live. At the end of the day he could have had hoardes viewing the house, only to choose his desired tenants without having to give any reason to everyone else. At the end of the day its the same effect.

Nationalist, yes, Racist, no. My tuppence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The development was mothballed two weeks ago- the lads have stated they do not intend to pay rent for June and are going to London,

Err...he didn't take any deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Morrigan wrote:

www.daft.ie/214539

His house, his right to say no smokers no drunks no whatever ..jaysus haven't you anything better to get worked up about?

This ad will last as long as it take for some (Irish) punter to rent the place.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

The letting agent had bigger fish to fry than chase them for it (hint they are on Main Street Lucan Village- and having problems shifting units elsewhere in Lucan........)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I guess it's down to the owner of the house. Herself is Polish, but speaks like an Irish person. Her best friend however doesn't, when she was phoning people looking to rent a room, the rooms were taken, but when herself'd ring back 5 minutes later, she'd have no problem getting a viewing appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Brooklyn74 wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken, the Equal Status Act allows discrimination in housing only if you're sharing the home with the person(s) you're renting to. Otherwise it is illegal.
    Subtley different. Its if the housing is designed for 6 people or fewer (all 1- and 2-beds, most 3-beds, not 4-beds), then discrimination is legal. The ad. appears to be legal, just probably not acceptable.

I think the owner occupier rule would generally be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think that is correct Victor. That exemption only applies if you are living in the property yourself *and* there are fewer than 6 bed spaces.

See http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0008/print.html#partii-sec6

By my reading the ad is illegal. All the sob stories about discrimination against Irish abroad are not relevant. The idea that people offering goods and services can refuse whom they like on the basis of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, age or nationality is just wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

smccarrick wrote:
    The letting agent had bigger fish to fry than chase them for it (hint they are on Main Street Lucan Village- and having problems shifting units elsewhere in Lucan........)

Haha I know them well. The fcuked me over when I was trying to buy a place.

But seriously the PC brigade are going over board with this.

If its your private home surely you have the right to let it to who ever you want.

If on the other hand he had let it to a non national then kicked him out because he wanted irish only then I would have a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think that is correct Victor. That exemption only applies if you are living in the property yourself *and* there are fewer than 6 bed spaces.
    Strange. I have always read that differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

If people can discriminate based on sex then surely race is no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

kearnsr wrote:
    If its your private home surely you have the right to let it to who ever you want.
    It's not a private home it's a house for rent. A publican can't exclude people from his pub just because it's "his".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

smccarrick wrote:
    Re: "small" Irish family- jmayo- he meant the number of people in the family, not their height. I come from a large Irish family (of 9)- so obviously it wouldn't be reasonable to try to fit an abnormal number of people in a smallish 3 bedroom house.

Single people- I doubt the landlord would mind- but 1,300 per month would be out the reach of single people- its a house, not an apartment. If a single person of sufficient means applied- who knows......

Ehhhh tongue was firmly in cheek with my reply.
    My point is if you want to you can read unPC (and I knw we are talking racism here supposedly) into any statement.

Sometimes I think we are now definetly taking ourselves way too seriously.

It's not a private home it's a house for rent. A publican can't exclude people from his pub just because it's "his".

Its different isnt it?

A pub is open to the public ie public house. A rented house isnt

• Advertisement

Well, you are providing a service for hire, so the same general principles apply. Renting property is just a business, the same as any other business.

There are some limitations where you are living in the house yourself, in which case you are entitled to run your household as you see fit, and this is what Victor is referring to it. But if you are offering a house to rent you can't discriminate on the basis of nationality, family situation, age, race, sexuality, gender, etc.

That may very well be the case. The landlord simply put his preference in writing- if he hadn't said anything at all, he would have been free to pick and choose his tenants at will, and no-one would have been any the wiser.
    Time will tell whether anyone actually complains about the advertisement or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Come on now - it's only fair, if the Owner want's IRISH they should get irish.
    After all we are far more respectable than other races

scang.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

smccarrick wrote:
    I think the landlord is being nationalist, rather than racist. He doesn't say anywhere that a black Irish couple can't apply to him..

I agree with this. Anyway, 'no EHB assistance accepted' is a regular occurrence in housing adverts. I’ve never heard the PC brigade complaining about the obvious classism inherent in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Brooklyn74

seahorse wrote:
    I’ve never heard the PC brigade complaining about the obvious classism inherent in that.

I have. Loads of times.

smccarrick wrote:
    That may very well be the case. The landlord simply put his preference in writing- if he hadn't said anything at all, he would have been free to pick and choose his tenants at will, and no-one would have been any the wiser.
    Time will tell whether anyone actually complains about the advertisement or not.

Well, the offending part of the ad is gone now.

If you don't give someone an apartment, you'd better have a good reason, same as with any service.

seahorse wrote:
    I agree with this. Anyway, 'no EHB assistance accepted' is a regular occurrence in housing adverts. I’ve never heard the PC brigade complaining about the obvious classism inherent in that.

The only problem is that there is Irish and European law against discriminating on the basis of nationality. There is no law preventing a landlord from discriminating against a potential tenant on the basis of how they plan to fund the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Had an interesting conversation with my landlord last week.
    He owns the 2-bed house a few doors down from me as well, and this is rented to 3 people (nationalities unknown, but not Irish) for the last 3 months.
    I've seen many people coming and going but i had not expected what i was about to hear.

To cut a long story short, the landlord was telling me that he was letting another house in the area and who turns up at the door to view the house but the 2 people who were renting the original house off ,who had not paid the previous 2 months rent as they had moved to a new job and had given a sob story with the tears and everything. The 2 months rent was due in a week.

He went mad and went over to the house to throw them out.

As he arrived people were running out the front door, back door all over the place. carrying bags and some with sleeping bags (the other people had phoned to warn them).

Then he found about some more sleeping bags and belongings all over the floor and even one in the shed where a bed was made, i sh!t you not. Obviously these belonged to the people who were not home.

The place was wrecked.

Says he's only renting to Irish people in future :)
    Might be his add on Daft.

After discussing this hilarious story with other people i know who are into property, it seems this is a common con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Well, the offending part of the ad is gone now.

If you don't give someone an apartment, you'd better have a good reason, same as with any service.

Surely they could come up with any reason they liked.
    What if they didnt rent it to you because they dont like the smell of ya! :)
    Is there a law against that i wonder?

• Advertisement

What does that prove about anything? So he got crap tenants?

Did he check references?

Advertisement