Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, Watercooled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I made mine :)
    I used the mesh/grill off a friend's Gigabyte case (came with two options, plexyglass and the grill, friend kept the plexy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have a fair bit of plexi comming to me, and the pci clot cooler too. Oh and himself twisted my arm to buy the hdd cooler. I swear im paying this mans mortgage at the moment :p

p.s If your sellin that c2d rig..... dont let me know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Chosen has the right idea you can make anything with some plexy and the guts of an old system plus your happy knowing no one eles has it and you get a better buzz when you stand back and pat yourself on the back .best of luck with it ANTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'd recommend getting your hands on some Yate Loon fans, anti. There's a german eBay seller called Silencio_777 that sells a full range of tons of fans and WC gear. His shipping rates are very reasonable, he's very friendly and accomodating and he's got great english. Drop him an email before you buy anything to confirm shipping and stuff.

SPCR (Silent PC Review) rate the yate-loons better than anything else out there, and he does the full range of speeds from slow to very fast for the full range of sizes, from 80mm to 140mm.

I'd recommend getting your hands on some Yate Loon fans, anti. There's a german eBay seller called Silencio_777 that sells a full range of tons of fans and WC gear. His shipping rates are very reasonable, he's very friendly and accomodating and he's got great english. Drop him an email before you buy anything to confirm shipping and stuff.

SPCR (Silent PC Review) rate the yate-loons better than anything else out there, and he does the full range of speeds from slow to very fast for the full range of sizes, from 80mm to 140mm.

Thanks for the infos mate. But ive already bought fans now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Ah right, well the Akaska Ambers are supposed to be pretty good anyway so I'm sure there's not much difference.

Everything has just arrived, but im in work. Will post pics when i have it up and running tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I bet you wont be doing much work today, Just thinking about building the computer has put your productivity for the day way off.

pretty much yeah. All i have thought about is how to route the tubing. which way to face te rad. Where in the line to add the temp monitor. Gah and my lift home is 20 mins late :(

• Advertisement

They have arrived. Behold them in all their glory... Looks like i will need alot mroe tubing though :(

dsc06318mr1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

whats the fatal1ty producet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Anti wrote:
    Will post pics when i have it up and running tonight.

Now there is a man with confidence!

I will say two words that could save you a lot of grief and possibly money...

LEAK TEST

:D

Heh. Ive got everything in and am mocking up the piping now. Having a bitch of a time to fasten the connectors with the pip on though :( Like cant turn it at all :(
    Anyway, Anyone know if this is safe at all

dsc06334dv1.jpg

Awhir. Its the new mouse.

They can be a bit tight...I always use two pairs of pliers to make sure they are tight.
    Also if you out a straight connector on the cpu block and ue a small loop of tubing rather than the 90 degree fitting you may find it easier.

why did you use such a long pice of piping from chipset to r thing.

would look nicer if ya shoertend it.

why dident ya buy a logitech.logitech ftw :D

Yeah you were right hopeful. I went with your way

dsc06335sl7.jpg

Not to confident with the tubing so i have given up for the night. Or untill someone volounteers to come help me ;)

looks way nicer.

That sig wont be there for long...

i love my sig and none of them sig police can take that away from me.lol.

• Advertisement

too late...

Anti wrote:
    too late...

lol.

A small update.

I just spent the last two hours dremel'ing out the rivets(what a tedious task) So i now have room to mount the tripple rad. Not sure weather to mount on it on its side. Or facing up and blowing air out the bottom vents.

Any suggestions lads?

I had it mounted from the middle section above the PSU blowing air up...if you can get it to fit on it's side then that would be better.

BTW why dremel the rivets? They come out in about 10 minutes with a 3mm drill..bit late though for that advice I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

hopeful wrote:
    BTW why dremel the rivets? They come out in about 10 minutes with a 3mm drill..bit late though for that advice I guess :D

Yep straight through the middle and a tap of a screwdriver does the job.

Looking good Anti, remember if you are having trouble with tight turns on the tubing, drop it in a tub of warm water, it lets the tubing bend further and molds it into shape when it cools. Ohh and LEAK TEST.

Yeah you said that before But my drill has been lent out without my permission:mad: And i cant get it back till mid week. So i had no other choice. But it worked out okay, thankfully.

I had a load of hassle mounting the rad in the bottom, with the front fan and the psu. So i realised If i reverse the fan, and mount it in between the front grill and the lower compartment it gave me a extra inch of room.

So this is how the rad will be mounted. Its a pretty extreme bend between the pump and the rad. But the anti kink spiraly tubing cover yoke works well:
    dsc06339zl5.jpg

And the tubing will come out the back and up to the res like so:
    dsc06340qa1.jpg

The fan stuck in the other way round to give more space:
    dsc06345uu2.jpg

I will mount the fans so it blows air through the rad. There are 2 68cfm 21/dba fans on either end. And a 43cfm 22/dba fan in the middle. The 2 outside ones are red and the middle is white. Only problem is....How am i meant to screw them onto the rad? Unless i dremel a triangle from each corner of the fan away so it gives me access to the hole below... OR i could use superglue :confused:

The final build starts in 1 hour. Wish me luck and pray to whom ever your god is that it dosent leak :o

*Edit*

How the fans will sit on the rad:
    dsc06343zq2.jpg

Final reminder.....

*** LEAK TEST ***

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anti wrote:
    Only problem is....How am i meant to screw them onto the rad? Unless i dremel a triangle from each corner of the fan away so it gives me access to the hole below... OR i could use superglue :confused:

You should have recieved screws with the rad just the right length for attaching fans but not peircing the inside. Be carefull of this.

Oh, I feel like pointing out, I don't think I have bothered leaktesting the last 5 or 6 times I rebuilt my rig. But I'm lazy and use clamps.

Just done a 2 hour leak test. All good so far. Drained it again and washed the rad and pump out. Gonna wait till tuesday for the hdd cooler before i re do it all. As with no hdd compartment i have no spare ot hold the hdds:(

• Advertisement

The build should have been finished last week. But.... Well i wanted more bling, so i bought the dual hd cooler from hopeful.

Very flashy looking, and keeps 2 hdds cool :D
    dsc06357sy3.jpg

In the original bling buy i got a thermaltake temp guage with lcd screen, i could find out no fittings info on it at all, so had no idea what size barbs it would go on. The day it arrived, the stock fittings were too small, and the others that came with it were way too big. After talking to a few people i was told that heating the piping up would allow it to go over the larger fittings 3/8" ID. I only had to do this with one side, as hopeful happened to have a spare connecter to 8/10 lying around which he gave me ;)

So now i can keep a eye on the temp of the water at the end of the loop, so i know how high to run the fans on the rad.
    dsc06358bb6.jpg

I had a fair bit of hassle with the Rad, well more so the fans, as i didnt have a screw driver small enough to fit through the holes to screw them in, So i got the dremel out and grinded away a triangle to allow me to get them on. It was either that or super glue :o
    dsc06369sx2.jpg

This is the final mounting posisition of the rad and pump...
    dsc06366nd9.jpg
    dsc06368vm8.jpg

The front of the case
    dsc06362xn0.jpg

Another shot of the hd cooler and piping
    dsc06356pw6.jpg

Nb Block
    dsc06360ym0.jpg

Cpu & Nb Blocks
    dsc06355oj9.jpg

Where the res tubing will come through, Note the slightly bigger hole in the middle, and the metal piece to the left which has been cut out, And a 80mm red akasa fan to suck some of the hot air from the pump out.
    dsc06364uu0.jpg

Thats all for now, More tonight when i finish this thing. Also im not happy with where the pump is mounted, So maybe if i mount it behind the rad, But i planned on ripping apart a old fan controller down to the circuit board, and mounting it on plexy..

Any thoughts and ideas welcome as always :)

Advertisement