Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, Watercooled

Options
  • 28-05-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Right so lads, Im about to get a v2000A, I already have all the watercooling gear from hopeful. All alphacool. I have a black ice tripple rad. Which i plan to mount in the bottom, but i hear is might be to long and might have problems mounting the psu. So i was thinking of mounting 2 double rads in the bottom, And maybe the tripped outside on the top. Ill also need a block for the 8800gtx, I have my eye on a DD one. but i will have to change fitting from 7/8 to 1/2 id. Will that cause flow problems with a relitivly small enehiem pump. I mean goinf from smaller tubing to bigger tubing then back down again. I suppose i could get fittings to change all the connectors to 1/2 ID but they are not really that cheap, and it till make things look messy.

Also will there be any benifits from running 3 rads in one loop, or is it just to much hard work for so little gain. im thinking the pump would not be strong enough to puch water over that distance, so could i add a second pump somewhere in the loop?

Any advice or ideas are really welcomed as this will be my first proper WC setup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I doubt you'll need three rads. it depends on what you're cooling though?
    Having that many would mean that your bottom temp wouldnt drop but under load it would be a lot cooler because of increased heat dissapation capacity. A second pump in series would help increase the pressure head. In parralel it would increase flow. But with all those rads pressure is what you need to overcome the resistance to flow so in series would suit. changin from 7/8 to 1/2 wont make any difference to the flow through the blocks. I'd keep everything the same if i was you all 1/2 or all 7/8 for tidiness.
    If you're goin for three rads and cooling your cpu gfx and nb go pump>>tripple rad>>cpu>>doublerad>> gfx>> double rad>> nb>> res>> pump.
    Stick an extra pump in the circuit anywhere you want.
    Note: resistance to flow manifests itself as a pressure drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would have grave doubts about a enheim being able to pump through 3 rads with the low head pressure the pump has. With my current setup flow is a problem and I am considering something like a Iwaki Rd30.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Drop a rad (double?) and seperate into two loops?

Don't suppose there's any point in putting a second pump in your single-loop design?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Like said i might need it to pump through 3 rads if i need it. But i think maybe 1 tripple with papst fans, All it has to cool is a 8800gtx, opty 170 @ <3.00ghz and the chipset. Basicially the pc in my sig. So i would like to have all the watercooling bits and bobs in the bottom half of the case all hidden away. I was looking at hdd cooling too, but it seems pointless really. Might get pwm and ram cooling too, but that is down the line. Or i could change the pump to a d5?

Meh im lost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Change to a D5, suits that case better. 3 rads is probably overdoing it IMHO,
    nice case choice though ;)
    I'd also stay with less WC blocks and go for 1/2 tubing, but that's personal preference. You can do a "full" WC setup, read: all chipsets, RAM etc if you use smaller (Euro) fittings, but it's far more difficult to make it look as good in practice
    Performance differences are negligible in my experience whichever route you choose

• Advertisement

Yeah im getting the case from hopeful, he dosent have anything flashy to put in it now i bought his watercooling ;)

Ah ffs, just after looking at the tubing now. its 8/10 :/

After finding it impossible to find a 8/10 full GPU block on any of the normal places to look i decided to have a look around and came across " http://www.watercoolingshop.com/ "

What a excellent place. Every thing i need. And all in english. None of the bablefish or google translated bollix. There were a few things i could not find, and i found them here. For cheaper then anywhere else. I will be making my order for new tubing, gpu block, flow meter, and 3 water temp sensors with lcd display The only thing im looking for now ir red uv die. But all the ones i find are more pink then anything else. And with the lighting im going with red/purple/white i think pink would make the inside of the case look like hello kitty had been murdered in there. Can i use food colouring? or will that stain the tubes and leave resedue in the blocks?

Also, Is it possible to add a second res? And what are the pro's cons for and against it?

Cheers again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Anti wrote:
    After finding it impossible to find a 8/10 full GPU block on any of the normal places to look i decided to have a look around and came across " http://www.watercoolingshop.com/ "

What a excellent place. Every thing i need. And all in english. None of the bablefish or google translated bollix. There were a few things i could not find, and i found them here. For cheaper then anywhere else. I will be making my order for new tubing, gpu block, flow meter, and 3 water temp sensors with lcd display The only thing im looking for now ir red uv die. But all the ones i find are more pink then anything else. And with the lighting im going with red/purple/white i think pink would make the inside of the case look like hello kitty had been murdered in there. Can i use food colouring? or will that stain the tubes and leave resedue in the blocks?

Also, Is it possible to add a second res? And what are the pro's cons for and against it?

Cheers again lads.

Ok the first problem is watercooling.com don't deliver to ireland well they wouldn't do it for me anyway. In terms of a reservoir i've had my experience with bay reservoirs and they're a pain in the ass for refilling so my advice would be to go for possibly xspc's large external reservoir remembering that a the larger the reservoir the cooler the water. In my experience more rads doesn't mean cooler temps, i had no difference in temp between a two double rad and single rad setup and when i decided to remove the double rad.

I have a laing D5 and it can get through two triples and a single no problem. All you need really is a single for the CPU and triple for the graphics card. In terms of blocks EK have silver GTX blocks and they offer better performance and my graphics card is at 37 idle (GTS by the way) and doesn't get much hotter when gaming.
    Also if you have 8mm connections why don't you get 8mm barbs. I just built a system there with them and they're fine and Komplett sell them and i used one on a maze 5.
    i'll be honest with you building a system that has multiple blocks in one loop is really annoying cause taking everthing out to reseat a cpu block is a task. If you have the money break up the loops and it'll be way easier.
    last thing have a look at this reservoir its handy cause you can get a DD refill port and save yourself a lot of hassle.
    I hope this helped but if you're beyond what i've pointed out sorry:(

requiem1 wrote:
    Blah

Exactly why do you think a triple rad could not handle a 8800gtx and Amd opty? How much heat output do you think they put out?

Keep the loop simple, use a heatsink for the chipset, its only going to impede performance.

Use 1 triple rad, any more is overkill. If you were using 2*8800's with voltmods and a heavy oc'd quad core I could understand either 2 loops or dual rads, but you are going for overkill with your current setup. The only reason I use my current setup is because I had the parts lying around and a huge case to fit them in.

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    Exactly why do you think a triple rad could not handle a 8800gtx and Amd opty? How much heat output do you think they put out?

Keep the loop simple, use a heatsink for the chipset, its only going to impede performance.

Use 1 triple rad, any more is overkill. If you were using 2*8800's with voltmods and a heavy oc'd quad core I could understand either 2 loops or dual rads, but you are going for overkill with your current setup. The only reason I use my current setup is because I had the parts lying around and a huge case to fit them in.

reason for single rad in between would be so you don't carry across heat from opty onto the 8800gtx and from what i hear they're pretty hot something in and around 60 to 70 degrees on some forums and considering i'm using a dual rad for my 8800GTS i was presuming that a triple mighn't be a bad idea for a GTX and if you want to go for a triple then divide it into a single and a double otherwise you're going to be carrying across 30 or so degrees of heat onto that GTX. And he has a huge case to fit them in anyway

Hey thanks for the info. Since the case im getting is big, i can use the tripple for the GTX. and a double for the cpu/nb.

The res i have is one of these:

00C800B400305160.jpg

But its about 30cm long. And looks easy to fill. I was thinking of adding a second one, for the reaosn you stated. more water = cooler water.

good choice, why not get a second one of those reservoirs? 30cm is pretty big and two should definitely do the job, the only reason i suggested the EK one is because you can fill the fillport tube as well giving you even more water. i'm definitely getting one next time around, no more opening cases to fill reservoirs for me

requiem1 wrote:
    reason for single rad in between would be so you don't carry across heat from opty onto the 8800gtx and from what i hear they're pretty hot something in and around 60 to 70 degrees on some forums and considering i'm using a dual rad for my 8800GTS i was presuming that a triple mighn't be a bad idea for a GTX and if you want to go for a triple then divide it into a single and a double otherwise you're going to be carrying across 30 or so degrees of heat onto that GTX. And he has a huge case to fit them in anyway

8800 does put out a large amount of heat, but a triple rad should easily handle both a 8800 and opty. The problem with graphics cards is the transfer of heat off of them, since most gfx blocks are a high flow design you want a strong pump. The ambient temps off of the cpu would make a small difference in temps of the gfx. You have a idea that most wc setups are limited merely by the size of the rad. They are not, they are limited by every component in the loop, the size of the loop and restrictions in place. Putting more rads in does not solve any of those problems.

Believe me I have tried numerous setups, replaced many parts and never really saw any noticeable difference adding more rads to a loop when the current rad was capable of handling the load. What I did see was performance drops because of the pressure differences the pump was trying to handle going through 2 separate rads.

Anti wrote:
    But its about 30cm long. And looks easy to fill. I was thinking of adding a second one, for the reaosn you stated. more water = cooler water.

More water=more water. The rad cools the water, unless you plan on dropping the res into a ice bath, bigger will not equal better and neither will adding another res. It just addds more work for the pump, pushing more water around a closed loop with more restrictions.

Let me put it very simply, the more crap you fill the loop with the slower the water will become. The slower the water gets, the lass water moves over the blocks and the less heat is transferred. It no different then taking a fast fan off a heatsink and putting a slower one on, its going to raise temps.

krazy_8s wrote:
    8800 does put out a large amount of heat, but a triple rad should easily handle both a 8800 and opty. The problem with graphics cards is the transfer of heat off of them, since most gfx blocks are a high flow design you want a strong pump. The ambient temps off of the cpu would make a small difference in temps of the gfx. You have a idea that most wc setups are limited merely by the size of the rad. They are not, they are limited by every component in the loop, the size of the loop and restrictions in place. Putting more rads in does not solve any of those problems.

Believe me I have tried numerous setups, replaced many parts and never really saw any noticeable difference adding more rads to a loop when the current rad was capable of handling the load. What I did see was performance drops because of the pressure differences the pump was trying to handle going through 2 separate rads.

More water=more water. The rad cools the water, unless you plan on dropping the res into a ice bath, bigger will not equal better and neither will adding another res. It just addds more work for the pump, pushing more water around a closed loop with more restrictions.

Let me put it very simply, the more crap you fill the loop with the slower the water will become. The slower the water gets, the lass water moves over the blocks and the less heat is transferred. It no different then taking a fast fan off a heatsink and putting a slower one on, its going to raise temps.

Thats for the advice mate. The res is to be mounted outside at the back. I was thinking now maybe a single rad in the front at the bottom, and the tripple in the drive bay area.

I was thinking pump>res>cpu>single res>nb>gpu>tripple>pump ect ect. I have also decided to dump then enheim and go with the liang d5.

Also i have a question about the fans. I was thinking maybe akasa amber fans. As they are soo quiet and move enough air. But will they be enough for the rads? And should they be push or pull. Or should i go with puch and pull? or will that just cause problems?

Anti wrote:
    Thats for the advice mate. The res is to be mounted outside at the back. I was thinking now maybe a single rad in the front at the bottom, and the tripple in the drive bay area.

I was thinking pump>res>cpu>single res>nb>gpu>tripple>pump ect ect. I have also decided to dump then enheim and go with the liang d5.

Also i have a question about the fans. I was thinking maybe akasa amber fans. As they are soo quiet and move enough air. But will they be enough for the rads? And should they be push or pull. Or should i go with puch and pull? or will that just cause problems?

You might want to try res>pump>rad>cpu>Nb>rad>res etc. Would provide lower water temps on the blocks, but only by a small degree. Makes for easy filling as well, because it stops the pump becoming air-locked.

My current setup goes the same except I have a pump after the cpu. Like this.

Res>Pump(D5)>pa 120.30>cpu>pump(d5)>He120.2>gpu>res

I use 140 cfm deltas, so I cant answer if Alaska's would work. I do know the Pa series of rads from Thermochill perform better with lower speed fans.

Push pull is a bit of a waste, cant say I have ever seen a difference. Pull the is the best for resistance on the rad fins.

i have mine going res>pump(d5)>cpu>singlerad>gpu>doublerad>res and i think that mightn't be the best setup cause i've heard people talking about the heat that d5's produce i'm sure its minimal but thats why most people put the rad after them. The d5 has a temp limit of 60 degrees and its starts to get a bit messed apparently if the temp goes higher so running hot water through it is not a good idea! i wouldn't worry about it but in one of the issues of custom pc they did the following setup
    res>pump>cpu>nb>single>gpu>triple>res which is kinda like what you have just double instead of single
    In terms of fans i use sharkoons and they push air over the double and that means more noise and they get whinny at full speed but nothing major. I have one pulling on the single and thats alot quieter

The whole point for me of watercooling is to lower the noise. I dont want deltas whining away.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I fit a triple HE120.3 rad on the bottom of my V2000, next/under my Seasonic S12 600W. The rest of the components are:
    Apogee GT CPU block
    Swiftech pump 1500lt/h
    1/2" tubing
    6 push/pull fans of the rad
    and a cool res with aluminum fins which also acts like a passive rad :)

Got all components (bar the rad), from specialtech.co.uk

Can post pictures from home, when my board comes back from RMA ;)

ANy chance you can post a pic of the rad installed in the bottom chosen ?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay, I was pc-less for a week; my QX6700 died... :(

I'll post pictures asap.

Here we go (and sorry for the mobile phone quality of the pics)

Side, top:
    dsc02077vb9.th.jpg

Side, lower:
    dsc02078yh2.th.jpg

Board area:
    dsc02079wl4.th.jpg

Aluminum fin tank, fit externally (acting as a passive rad as well):
    dsc02080nf2.th.jpg

Top view of the tank:
    dsc02081bt1.th.jpg

Front:
    dsc02082ij1.th.jpg

CPU area:
    dsc02085az7.th.jpg

Front fan of the lower area, inverted, so that it blows the air out, and so that it's mounted on the outisde of the chamber, so that it leaves an extra inch of space for the triple rad:
    dsc02083bz2.th.jpg

The (messy) area around the pump:
    dsc02084ec5.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Chosen wrote:
    Here we go (and sorry for the mobile phone quality of the pics)

Side, top:
    dsc02077vb9.th.jpg

Side, lower:
    dsc02078yh2.th.jpg

Board area:
    dsc02079wl4.th.jpg

Aluminum fin tank, fit externally (acting as a passive rad as well):
    dsc02080nf2.th.jpg

Top view of the tank:
    dsc02081bt1.th.jpg

Front:
    dsc02082ij1.th.jpg

CPU area:
    dsc02085az7.th.jpg

Front fan of the lower area, inverted, so that it blows the air out, and so that it's mounted on the outisde of the chamber, so that it leaves an extra inch of space for the triple rad:
    dsc02083bz2.th.jpg

The (messy) area around the pump:
    dsc02084ec5.th.jpg

NICE BUT VERYYYYYY messy :D

love the rad/res

awhir wrote:
    NICE BUT VERYYYYYY messy :D

love the rad/res

The whole system was built with thermal performance in mind, in order to cool down my QX6700 (R.I.P.) hence the cable mess.
    Nevertheless, I now have to live with a golden X6800 (L631A), which is running Orthos at 3600MHz with 1.39V as we speak :D

3600eo8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Chosen wrote:
    The whole system was built with thermal performance in mind, in order to cool down my QX6700 (R.I.P.) hence the cable mess.
    Nevertheless, I now have to live with a golden X6800 (L631A), which is running Orthos at 3600MHz with 1.39V as we speak :D

3600eo8.jpg

what happend to ure qx6700 ?

i got my e6420 @ 3.6 ATM :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Very similar setup to how I had that triple in the V2000...except I hung mine from the centre divider rather than resting off the floor of the case. Res in same position too...great minds think alike ;)

id like to get my hands on the pci fan holder, and the drive bay fan. But cant fint the proper lian li ones anywhere :(

I do have a PCI fan holder...not LianLi but chrome...Linky

I'll throw it in as a freebie when you get the HD cooler if it's any use to you.

When you say drive bay fan do you mean THIS one?

Or THIS one?

:: ooops ::: meant to edit previous post :o

• Advertisement

I was actually gonan buy both of them today. Didnt think the fan would fit. And i dont like the style of that drive bay fan. Id rather a went. Maybe ill make my own.

And thanks, ill deffo take that pci mount :D

Advertisement