Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Limerick-Adare service proposed (Green Party)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

:D

Thomas I love it. Straight from the mouth/keyboard of one who knows and even cares.

So how about Attymon to Loughrea Light Rail?:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Thomas_B wrote:

1. The bus would be faster, and goes every hour as it is
    2. Nobody used the bus until a few years ago (I was often the only person getting on at Adare) --

Many years ago when I was in NIHE (UL to you young folk) I knew a good few bodies getting on at Adare...

However I can't see Adare - Limerick being all that viable as the road doesn't seem to be all that overly burdened..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

The cavalry have arrived.....

Thanks Thomas and Derek.

Athenry to Loughrea light rail........oh God, here we go.....but no doubt we'll get some turnip who wants it, while the rest of the town could'nt care less, and preferred a cattle mart that was a lot more use to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

unlike Zoney I wouldn't prioritise Adare, and like Victor there is the point about engineering resources etc. However, there will, one hopes come a time when say 200km/h to Cork is done and the T/PSRs are dealt with and interconnector is built etc. What then? Do you lay off the engineering staff and wait for the next crisis or do you start work on lower priority items to keep them busy until say you electrify Cork-Dublin-Belfast. Toronto has found out the hard way that once you stop building, even a little, people move on to other jobs and that human capital is very hard to replace - and expensive.

It's true that the current Limerick City/County/Clare/Tipp councils vie over Limerick the way that Waterford is divvied up and this is an obstacle to progress, but given Dermo's priority list my thinking is that if Ennis and Limerick Junction is upgraded you move onto Nenagh and you make that work. While doing Nenagh/Roscrea you basically rub it in the faces of the 1-offers in Limerick West until they "get on board" and start doing proper planning. I don't hold them to any lower standard than say the WRC councils - you build the catchment, you pay your development contributions, you get the trains - and not before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

dermo88 wrote:

Athenry to Loughrea light rail........oh God, here we go.....but no doubt we'll get some turnip who wants it,

I know a turnip who thinks its a great idea and so do you Dermo! Schush now, he might be reading and we don't want any encouragement.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

dowlingm wrote:
    unlike Zoney I wouldn't prioritise Adare

eh - despite talking about the prospects for Adare, I don't *prioritise* it either. See my post above:
    Zoney wrote:
    dermo88 wrote:
    (a) Extra stations and loops on Limerick to Ennis.
    (b) Extra stations out on the Nenagh line.
    (c) Double track Limerick to Limerick Junction.
    (d) Adare commuter.
    I agree with your prioritised list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

my bad - brainfade obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I think I know exactly who you are talking about, the last time there was a debate like this, it took 53 pages of debate, and 1,152 posts.

It was scary. Fortunately the last post on that one was some 6 weeks ago, the saga started in 2003, and now.....its 2007, and the West vs East debate still goes on.

Now, for the record, we do moan about Iarnrod Eireann, but lets have a look at the 'crumbs' that went West of the Shannon.

1. CWR throughout on all routes from Dublin
    2. Automated signalling on all radial routes, with Athlone-Westport/Ballina going over to CTC.
    3. New rolling stock on the way, by the end of 2008, it will be the newest fleet of Mainline trains in Europe. Not bad for a network of its size, for the population density on offer.

And more on the way. Its a great deal better than what was happening in 1987, or even as recently as 1997. Its lucky that so much survived, and that the political will and economic resources were available to do it.

Now that I've mentioned it, some one is likely to drag it from the depths. But lets hope not. Not again.

Advertisement