Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrace/Hoolie Fashion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I cannot understand this Hoolie/Terrace/Casual BS, why not just wear the colour of your team if your going to a match:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Bateman wrote: »
    Sigh. :(

It's a cultural movement. Imported from England. Every "look" is imported from somewhere though. Ireland is never going to produce a look of it's own which will spark an entire social movement, in turn influencing popular culture for the next 20 years.
    i reckon the aran sweater is about to become a global phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

CSC wrote: »
    I don't think football jerseys look right on grown men to be honest. It's also a pain wearing colours as you can't get into decent pubs/clubs afterwards.
    Also you can generally tell fakes a mile away.

1) I'm 17 and jerseys don't look bad on grown men.
    2) I'd say you'd be more likely to be turned away wearing a SI jacket with a badge.
    3)I live around the corner from Meath St and well the fake SI, Adidas and a few other brands look brill but as for Fred Perry fakes they're shocking and can be spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Just my personal opinion mate. Football jerseys look ok when you are a kid or playing football but I wouldn't be seen in one now. Stone Island isn't a brand I wear that much but it and the other brands I mentioned look smart and and will not get you turned away from anywhere. I like to put the effort into what I wear and be well turned out for the match. Fakes can look good when they are on a market stall but after a wash or two they aren't worth waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I'm sorry, can I just get this straight?

People (skangers?) have certain 'fashion' items that they wear to soccer matches?

And 'hoolie' means hooligan?

Where the f*ck have I been?

This is so funny that I cant actually laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Do some research before you post and you’ll be get it straight.
    There is a culture for working class football supporters (not skangers) to dress in a “casual “ fashion (I.E designer clothes and not wearing colours) while attending matches.
    Hoolie is the short for hooligan but I would like to add not all “casuals” are involved in football violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Peared wrote: »

Where the f*ck have I been?

Nowhere near an actual live football match (except on a barstool). Ever?

Dead right, only been to one in me life. Dont sit on barstools either. Or in fact, watch soccer on TV. Or have any interest in soccer whatsoever.

I is a girl :p

People who cause fights for fun at football matches are skangers. Dont need a PHD in soccer-watching to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dead right, only been to one in me life. Dont sit on barstools either. Or in fact, watch soccer on TV. Or have any interest in soccer whatsoever.

I is a girl :p

People who cause fights for fun at football matches are skangers. Dont need a PHD in soccer-watching to know that.

No they ain't skangers, they're lads who want to fight for their team (not really). Something in the hooligan rule book is hooligans fight hooligans and no-one else.

Sorry, I'll rephrase.

People who cause fights for fun at matches are scum.

Now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sorry, I'll rephrase.

People who cause fights for fun at matches are scum.

Now.

Good insight - from somebody who has 'only been to one in me life'.

I can see where you're coming from about fighting, but they are referring to a wider phenomenon: the fashions worn in the last 25 years by football fans: that is, terrace fashions. I'm in my 30s now but it was very much part of my life - the clothes and football (but not the aggro) when I was younger.

Not all lads into casual fashions were/are fighters and as far as I can see, nobody has talked about fighting here. If the lads talk about anything other than clothes, I'm sure Stark or Simu will close the thread.

As for fighters - as gav says: they don't infringe on me. What they want to do between themselves is their business.

You don't really know what you're talking about so let the thread progress.

Stovelid, I have already admitted ignorance on the subject.

Regarding the clothes, not my thing obv, but people can wear what the hell they like. I find it amusing that there is a fashion for such a thing, this is new information for me.

BUT, what else am I supposed to infer from the word 'hoolie'? So to me, that is talking about violence.

Anyway, I know Im way off topic so I'll shut up now.

Except to add! Fighting is not just their business, it affects the people around them, the A&E ward that have to deal with the aftermath and gets clogged up when these things happen, the wives and girlfriends, the emergency services, the passers by, the kids who get too scared to go to matches... I could go on.

But like I said, I'll shut up now.

Advertisement