Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrace/Hoolie Fashion

Options
  • 22-05-2007 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Any followers out there? If so What ye wearin?
    Personally i'm into Paul Smith at the mo which is Underated i reckon, as well as the likes of Aquascutum and Stone island. Still a fan of Henry Lloyd but a lot of there gear is gettin a bit chavy all stripy jumpers n that. As for footwear - Adidas gazelles, Puma Romas and lacoste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

about the look, not the label

Lacoste & Ralph polos, Fjall shorts, M&S bits and bobs, adidas tennis/stans/gazelles/Italia/Oslo...

Not sure about PS being under-rated, can think of at least 4 stockists in Dublin alone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

PS is defo not underrated.

Totally agree about HL and their stripey jumpers and polos. WTF are they thinking? :rolleyes:

A decent pair of adidas like their Italia's can't be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I am really into paul smith. Don' think it is terrace wear though. Really like stone island, suppose you would classify it as terrace wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

hoolie wear?

get a life ffs.. i wouldn't wear ANYTHING that asscoiates me with the scum element of the eircom league..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKd9Ai_n_KQ

proud?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

hoolie wear?

get a life ffs.. i wouldn't wear ANYTHING that asscoiates me with the scum element of the eircom league..

proud?

Don't slag 'em. It might all "go off". :D

hoolie wear?

proud?
    So.......no adidas, puma, SI, Aqua, PS, P&S, HL, AJ, Prada, L&S...good luck. :rolleyes:

Tell us what you wear then.

And btw, the post was also about terrace fashion.

for rovers matches i have about 3/4 rovers shirts which i alternate plus jeans... not exactly hoolie.:rolleyes:

always thought the only reason that people wore all that 'gear' was that they could recognise each other for a fight.

you said hoolie in your post, if you wanna fight, do it away from football. :rolleyes:

and yes, one can dress without all those brands that you said above...i do regularly:p

for rovers matches i have about 3/4 rovers shirts which i alternate plus jeans... not exactly hoolie.:rolleyes:

always thought the only reason that people wore all that 'gear' was that they could recognise each other for a fight.

you said hoolie in your post, if you wanna fight, do it away from football. :rolleyes:

and yes, one can dress without all those brands that you said above...i do regularly:p
    It is acting in a violent manner that makes one a hooligan, not the clothing somebody wears. I will wear what I like to wear regardless of whether someone who likes to cause trouble likes the same clothes or not, it is footling. The topic is about clothing, nothing else. I never have been involved in hooliganism, it is despicable.

if you wanna fight, do it away from football. :rolleyes:

Tell us where the row was, and tell us where the match was.

• Advertisement

sorry and i quote
    op wrote:
    hoolie fashion

I'd say a bit of fighting is far from the worst anti-social habit that people on boards.ie partake in. See the after hours board for various threads in which people try to convice themselves and others that Class A drugs are OK. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I know it's each to their own, but... do people actually want to look like football hooligans? It doesn't exactly strike me as something one would want to emulate... what's next, dumpster diving to get that derelict look (I hear it's so hot right now)

I know it's each to their own, but... do people actually want to look like football hooligans? It doesn't exactly strike me as something one would want to emulate... what's next, dumpster diving to get that derelict look (I hear it's so hot right now)

Sigh. :(

It's a cultural movement. Imported from England. Every "look" is imported from somewhere though. Ireland is never going to produce a look of it's own which will spark an entire social movement, in turn influencing popular culture for the next 20 years.

Bateman wrote:
    Sigh. :(

It's a cultural movement. Imported from England. Every "look" is imported from somewhere though. Ireland is never going to produce a look of it's own which will spark an entire social movement, in turn influencing popular culture for the next 20 years.

Come on. I was into 80s Casual looks in the day but it's all about context.

You are dressing like you are part of the Casual subculture.

If you do this at a match, you are bound to stand out as such.

Outside of footy, it's just clothes but at a match, dressing like that gives a clear sign you are either a casual or want to be thought of as a Casual.

As for hoolies, I've no problem with it BTW; just as long as it's away from the game, civilians don't get sucked in and it doesn't reflect back badly on the club like the media do with SRFC.

You can't wear Burberry, Stone Island, AJ etc at EL and not be aware of the image you are projecting. :)

EL football in Dublin is played on a Friday night.

Lads are dressed up to go to late bars/clubs in the city centre afterwards.

Zebra3 wrote:
    EL football in Dublin is played on a Friday night.

I know that. Point taken. Just meant that if you wear certain clothes in certain contexts, you can't complain if you get labeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scally07

If you've nothing constructive to ad to this thread , butt out. Simple as.

Anyway,
    IMO, Paul Smith is over looked by lads into the scene and some of their gear is quality stuff, got a short PS sport jacket with a high collar their a while ago in dundrum for 40quid down from 110 and before that 210 which i was well chuffed about. i found it in that bargain section in the corner and was ready to pay the full whack for it. Happy days. Also got a pair of their jeans there a few weeks ago which im well pleased with.

Also on the topic of footwear, whats your opinion on columbia and timberland boots? Wouldn't be caught dead in them meself, Looks a bit chav.

[You can't wear Burberry, Stone Island, AJ etc at EL and not be aware of the image you are projecting. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not gonna argue with that, but its just in me at this stage. If i started following rugby i'd still dress the same i woulnt switch to dubes and leinster jerseys or whatever.

BTW Bateman - where you gettin your fjallraven?

Scally07 wrote:
    If you've nothing constructive to ad to this thread , butt out. Simple as.

Anyway,
    IMO, Paul Smith is over looked by lads into the scene and some of their gear is quality stuff, got a short PS sport jacket with a high collar their a while ago in dundrum for 40quid down from 110 and before that 210 which i was well chuffed about. i found it in that bargain section in the corner and was ready to pay the full whack for it. Happy days. Also got a pair of their jeans there a few weeks ago which im well pleased with.

Also on the topic of footwear, whats your opinion on columbia and timberland boots? Wouldn't be caught dead in them meself, Looks a bit chav.
    Had an identical experience in Dundrum with a paul smith jacket, quality! He is one of my fav designers.

• Advertisement

Scally07 wrote:
    IMO, Paul Smith is over looked by lads into the scene and some of their gear is quality stuff

Defo.

Bought a pair of their jeans in Lemon(?) four years ago and still wearing them. They're in top notch condition. :) And the most comfortable pair of jeans I've ever had!

Always knew you were a wrong un ;)
    stovelid wrote:
    Come on. I was into 80s Casual looks in the day but it's all about context.

You are dressing like you are part of the Casual subculture.

What do you mean "like"?
    stovelid wrote:
    If you do this at a match, you are bound to stand out as such.

No-one complained at that. Colm's comments might be such, but one presumes that if he had a regular problem being pigeon-holed as a hoolie, he wouldnt wear the gear.
    stovelid wrote:
    Outside of footy, it's just clothes but at a match, dressing like that gives a clear sign you are either a casual or want to be thought of as a Casual.

Again, yeah, that's 100% true and no-one's denying it. But people in Colombia die every day in order to keep the global drug supply chain going, and for some reason being candid about your Class A drug habits is a lesser offence on boards.ie (and society in general) than being linked to chaps who like to fight other like-minded chaps.
    stovelid wrote:
    As for hoolies, I've no problem with it BTW; just as long as it's away from the game, civilians don't get sucked in and it doesn't reflect back badly on the club like the media do with SRFC.
    Don't know whether this is the place or not, but I mean Rovers the club and Rovers the mob have never been too far removed.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/members/trustees.php
    stovelid wrote:
    You can't wear Burberry, Stone Island, AJ etc at EL and not be aware of the image you are projecting. :)
    At the risk of repetition, 100% true and no-one can deny that.

Bateman wrote:
    Always knew you were a wrong un ;)

Be warned. A clothes habit is for life. Get out while you can. ;)
    Bateman wrote:
    At the risk of repetition, 100% true and no-one can deny that.

Only made the points in the context of the casual-denial posts. Just meant that if you dress a certain way, you'll be perceived in a certain way. I think we're on the same sheet and your points are valid (and taken).

The other poster's point is correct, it's terrace fashion too. Valid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I have no idea what 'look' this thread is on about. Anyone have an example (as in picture) of what 'terrace fashion' actually looks like?

I have no idea what 'look' this thread is on about. Anyone have an example (as in picture) of what 'terrace fashion' actually looks like?

Sorry I couldn't resist :D

Just goin back to Henri Lloyd, was in Arnotts there on Saturday having a look - whoever is in charge of HL at the mo should be shot for ruining such a good label, what used to be simple quality clobber has been turned to **** - all distressed fabrics, patches, badges and stupid slogans. If i wanted to look like a two bob tosser ill do my shopping in the jean scene or River Island thank you very much.

Scally07 wrote:
    Just goin back to Henri Lloyd, was in Arnotts there on Saturday having a look - whoever is in charge of HL at the mo should be shot for ruining such a good label, what used to be simple quality clobber has been turned to **** - all distressed fabrics, patches, badges and stupid slogans. If i wanted to look like a two bob tosser ill do my shopping in the jean scene or River Island thank you very much.
    I would agree with you there. The basic, discreet style was much better. I am not really into HL myself, but certainly the new style wouldn't change my mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

My favourite brands at the moment are Paul and Shark and One True Saxon. Great quality clobber and not on sale in many places in Ireland.
    I have become quite bored with Addidas trainers lately though my favourite trainers are Sambas.
    I will keep an eye out for some Paul Smith gear; as you said it is quite overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wouldn't usually wear the stuff to matches, I'm more of a jersey, jeans and expensive hoodie guy.:p

Although I do own several of the labels mentioned. BTW Stone Island is a bit pre-2000's and there's so many fakes of things nowdays in Dublin there's no meaning to the labels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I don't think football jerseys look right on grown men to be honest. It's also a pain wearing colours as you can't get into decent pubs/clubs afterwards.
    Also you can generally tell fakes a mile away.

Advertisement