Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mixers and spirits

Options
  • 18-05-2007 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

What's the official party line so to speak on this sort of thing brothers? Whats a good manly drink and what's pushing the line? I hope this will be acceptable to the brethern, but I quite like a whiskey and ginger ale. Has the added benefit of making people think you're drinking a triple. Also tastes good. Yea or nay? and what would you have in its stead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

What's the official party line so to speak on this sort of thing brothers? Whats a good manly drink and what's pushing the line? I hope this will be acceptable to the brethern, but I quite like a whiskey and ginger ale. Has the added benefit of making people think you're drinking a triple. Also tastes good. Yea or nay? and what would you have in its stead?
    i only drink Guinness, Carlsberg at a push, sometimes Stella and Bulmers in an emergency... an acquaintance of mine drinks vodka with an alco-pop mixer ... i think that's at the outside edge of acceptable* ... smirnoff with a smirnoff ice mixer

whiskey makes me retch blood and soil my shorts, so i admire anyone who can keep it down :o

*are they still called alco-pops ? you know the stuff, bacardi breezer and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Manly drinks:

JD & Coke

Grog (rum & water)

double vodka & anything

Personally I wouldn't buy any of the above in the pub but I am partial to a nice jug of grog when I'm sailing the high seas...arrrr mateys!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be fair, Brother Brian, I don't think there really is a problem as long as the alcohol is a proper spirit and not something gitly like Malibu or Cinzano. If I'm drinking a short and mixer I'll only ever drink vodka and tonic (not slimline!), and I think whiskey and ginger is perfectly fine too, although I prefer whiskey undiluted myself.

Brother Trout, the consumption of alcopops cannot be condoned in any way, shape or form, even if they are being used as mixers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think gin and tonic is also acceptable under two conditions. 1) You have consummed at least six pints of an commonly acceptable and manly beverage. 2) You are on safari wearing linen clothes and/or a panama hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Whiskey with ginger ale is good. Whiskey with ginger ale and a dash of lime is better! (With less ginger ale/more whiskey to compensate for watering down of course).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

zaph wrote:
    To be fair, Brother Brian, I don't think there really is a problem as long as the alcohol is a proper spirit and not something gitly like Malibu or Cinzano. If I'm drinking a short and mixer I'll only ever drink vodka and tonic (not slimline!), and I think whiskey and ginger is perfectly fine too, although I prefer whiskey undiluted myself.

Aye Brother zaph, that was my main concern, where is the line? I mean first you drink whiskey, then maybe some bacardi, then before you know it you've skipped past the malibu and are ordering drinks with sparklers in it! That's not on. Although I must admit that I have bought the odd naggin of malibu on occaison, but only cause the bottle is plastic and therefore not going to break if I leave in my jacket and it gets bashed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

trout wrote:
    smirnoff with a smirnoff ice mixer

Only two weeks ago I drank that and it was manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Any decent hairy arsed irishman should be a guinness drinker at heart ( substitute Smithwicks is OK )

Lager in all its forms is acceptable if good draught Guinness is unavailable.

No, hold on, a bottle of Corona with a feckin' lemon on top is a non starter.
    So is any Light beer.
    Or Rice beer.

To accompany said guinnes a small one is perfectly acceptable choices being limited to Paddy, Powers, or Jameson.

Spirits on their own otherwise to be considered affectatious at best and pansie at worst.

I must admit that I have bought the odd naggin of malibu on occaison, but only cause the bottle is plastic and therefore not going to break if I leave in my jacket and it gets bashed about.

That's clever thinking there Brother Brian, but next time may I suggest you buy a naggin of whiskey at the same time, pour the Malibu down the sink and fill the bottle with the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

zaph wrote:
    Brother Trout, the consumption of alcopops cannot be condoned in any way, shape or form, even if they are being used as mixers.
    fair point brother zaph, fair point, i concede that alcopops are at the outside edge of acceptable ... outside the circle of trust to be sure... suggest we add this to the charter, it appears to be a point of clarity.

A confession : in moments of great celebration, great sadness, great nostalgia or simply days that end in "y", I do like Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum & coke ... nothin' dubious there :cool:

In fact, as soon as I finish slacking ... I mean working today, I will buy a bottle to see me through the night.

• Advertisement

zaph wrote:
    That's clever thinking there Brother Brian, but next time may I suggest you buy a naggin of whiskey at the same time, pour the Malibu down the sink and fill the bottle with the whiskey.

Brother, alcohol is alcohol, no matter how pussified it is. Plus necking a fifth on the street is always manlier than drinking malibu and coke in the pub. Although I have saved the naggins as hip flasks before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Two double vodkas and a can of red bull.

Makes for good times!

trout wrote:
    A confession : in moments of great celebration, great sadness, great nostalgia or simply days that end in "y", I do like Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum & coke ... nothin' dubious there :cool:

No need to fear confessing this, Brother trout, rum is as manly a drink as you can get. Without rum we'd never have had pirates, or something like that, and we all know how manly pirates arrrrrrr.

trout wrote:
    fair point brother zaph, fair point, i concede that alcopops are at the outside edge of acceptable ... outside the circle of trust to be sure... suggest we add this to the charter, it appears to be a point of clarity.

Yes instant ban for all alcopop drinkers. Brother trout, rum is indeed one of the manliness drinks available, as brother zaph mentioned it has provided us with pirates, plus it stings like a mutha on the way down, which surely makes it a bit more manly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Spirits? Has to be Jagermeister.

Anything that is that black and comes in a scary bottle that looks like medicine has to be worthy of Manly attention.

Vodka is off the list unless it's a genuine Russian brand *and* doesn't have an alcopop spinoff (Smirnoff is just so much girly-octane).

...plus anything you can drink while it's on fire is also Manly.

I was sorely tempted to get a bottle of jager tonight, but it was a 7 or 8 quid dearer than the scotch, and I'm cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I was sorely tempted to get a bottle of jager tonight, but it was a 7 or 8 quid dearer than the scotch, and I'm cheap.
    Huh? How much was it and where?

Tesco's now sell it for €23.50 a bottle, but I've seen it for as high as €30 in some rip-off-licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Holsten wrote:
    Two double vodkas and a can of red bull.

Makes for good times!

I second this.

On nights out when health and wellbeing is at the forefront of my mind, I'll have tap water instead of red bull in my double-double vodka. The next day I'm usually on the top of the world.

If by "top" I mean "bottom" :(

Huh? How much was it and where?

Tesco's now sell it for €23.50 a bottle, but I've seen it for as high as €30 in some rip-off-licences.

Yeah its 23 something in Dunnes, but scotch is 16 quid in Aldi. What's a brother to do??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sambuca is good stuff. Apart from that black absinthe is some killer sh!t but due to it's illegallity in this country it's hard to get hold of. I also had some green german stuff, I think it was around the 60% mark and it tasted like fire. Anyone know what it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Typical night out for the Coileach:

8 pints of Guinness.
    glasses of Brandy + Red Bull (half a can)

*Must be drank off the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There was a time when I was young and foolish... would finish off the night with 4 vodkas and a redbull, would fill a pint glass perfectly! Wouldn't be right for a few days after it!!
    But now that I'm older and foolish I just drink my Scotch, sometimes with water depending on the taste I'm looking for. Can't beat a Lagavulin, reminds me of my youth having to turn sods of turf in the bog :D

Sambuca is good stuff. Apart from that black absinthe is some killer sh!t but due to it's illegallity in this country it's hard to get hold of. I also had some green german stuff, I think it was around the 60% mark and it tasted like fire. Anyone know what it was?

Is it Chartreuse?

Also yes the black absinthe is great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Chartreuse: many hours of my life lost to this stuff avoided at all but the drunkest costs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is it Chartreuse?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is. It tasted like evil whatever the fúck it was. Still got us sh!tfaced though which is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

get a blender, 2 oreo cookies (specifically), a block of ice cream (the typical ones you get from HB) and bailys. put the 2 cookies in with about 1/3rd of the block of ice cream, then add a good bit of baily's.

winner. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

have finished all the beer in the fridge and amkneckina can of Bundaberg OP Rum and coke, Premixers - sweet nectare of the Gods

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

and when I'm in the tropics proper I am quite partial to the aul G&T's

Bombay Saphire where poss

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is. It tasted like evil whatever the fúck it was. Still got us sh!tfaced though which is all that matters.

Yeah I have a friend who insists on drinking it in the pub as much as possible when out, despite the fact that he's so light that it gets him fuxxsored. Its bad stuff.

• Advertisement

I thought stuff above a certain percent (I think it was 55%) were illegal here?!?!?!

Advertisement