Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A with Valor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

a-k-47 wrote:
    First off congrats on moving up to 10/20 and good luck chasing the women tonight for your 21st bday.

I cant go out because I have an exam the next day. How gay is that!?

Q.1) You win a million on the lotto, what % would you put into your BR to move up levels or would poker become recreational only as a result?.

I would just invest it all but continue to play poker, A million isnt enough for me to "retire" on and I wouldnt jump up levels as a result because Id prefer to do it based on merit and results when I know I am ready
    Q.2) Liverpool or Milan next wednesday?.

Milan ftw

Lovely little well you got there :D , very well answered to all q's. wd. good luck

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Do you feel you would make it in the business world?

Do you believe you have a competitive edge in things you are new to as you can learn and adapt quicker than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hey Valor,

First off, OB has about as much to do with poker as cows have with the moon:confused: ( i was stuck for a good simile, decided to be ridiculous). I dont think Business psychology has much to do with poker? Unless you keep asking your opponent...."how do you feel...No, how do you really feel"

I joke

we all know psychology is a big part of poker.

Secondly This is a brilliant well.... good work. Thanks.

Do you find it hard not to splash your cash? Being a student and all?

Do you think that ultimately poker affected your degree and studies?

What do u think of UCD pokersoc? lol

Have u ever sat at a table that u knew or felt was not beatable? where all the other players had your number?

Which had more influence on your rise through levels? talent or hard work? (dont be boring and say both)

Im in 1st Comm, is there anything we can do to bring a good level of poker to this college much like other colleges have? or Do you care?

Thanks Valor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

valor wrote:
    Well, obviously data mining from BIS This morning! thats the most obvious one I can think of

Some of the Economics and Finance we have done probably relates well to ROI and Variance and stuff but that level of theory is not something I have studied!

OB may have some application for the psychology of poker but again its not something I've considered in detail
    yeah i was thinking revenue law was only very slightly useful, but the info systems a la Harrahs etc would be useful too. CCM because you realise why certain people act why they do, i.e. playing abroad or the like. (i mean if you actually studies/were taught it properly)
    Finance last year too for ROI and NPV etc would be very useful. I might try to do an NPV model for long term cash and tournaments and see what i can come up with.

I have scored TWO mounties since coming to UCD which for a country bumpkin isnt bad I guess!? We arent all rugby playing chameleons who blend in as a D4 head depending on the company!
    only problem was that they are STILL mounties and you are in 3rd year, 16 FFS! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

valor wrote:

Yeah, I'm not 21 until tomorrow So havent been before!

Its after 12 now, so guess its your birthday,
    congrats, shame you have to spend it in the well

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    lol arselickingforbankrollsaments! yeah also Land Law no better way to spend time with a hangover....

lol arselickingforbankrollsaments! yeah also Land Law no better way to spend time with a hangover....
    no wah!!
    has nothing to do with the loan request i sent him,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

valor wrote:
    Completely through grinding it up. I'm a complete bankroll nit and I would say that my lack of shot taking has actually been detrimental to my progress. Almost 2 years ago now I deposited $300 on Empire and began grinding at 10c/25c and I haven't looked back since. I moved up to 50NL with 1k, 200NL with 4k and so on. My recent shot at 10/20 is the FIRST Time I've ever taken a shot at a limit without having over 40 buyins for it [apart from moving to $50NL]

You say you had 4k for 200 nl = 20 buyins but that you havent moved levels without 40 buyins, is this a calculation error or were you happy enough with 20 buyins at that level?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

16 FFS!

You mean 16 ftw? :)

Anyway Gav, we going out tonight or what? (no idea why im posting to ask but you're doing a well so I'll talk to ya through this)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Whats the strongest part of your game?
    What do you think is the weakest part of your game?
    What is the most common mistake/weakness that you see and exploit?
    Where did u pick up the majority of your poker knowledge?
    I'm guessing 2+2? which posters do you respect the most?
    Has poker changed your personality/attitude to money/prospective on life?
    What's the sickest call down you've ever made?
    Do u listen to music while you play? what selection if u do?
    What are you vpip/pfr/af stats? if u don't mind saying
    Do you think there's much wrong with the forum, how should it be improved?

Great well so far, thanks for answering these.

valor wrote:
    I will consider doing more coaching in the future. It would be good if I could find a couple of students at lower limits and take them up through the limits, would be quite satisfying.

*cough*

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I've only read the first and last page so apologies if I'm missing something here but why are you playing 10/20 no limit if you only have 8 grand as a bankroll? Or is it limit you are playing?

You acknowledge that you had a bad run in April losing 25 buy ins in ten days which is a kind of honesty that is very admirable and self aware.

You say that that tiliting is your biggest weakness in your game, which again shows incredible awareness for someone your age.

So why are you gambling all your hard earned winnings at a level where you could lose the lot in a couple of bad sessions? Am I genuinely missing something here? Why not play at 2/5 and keep your money for Vegas?

I truely wish you well and think that you have accumulated what you have so far on skill but I would be shocked to think that other student players would consider your bankroll management decision to play 10/20 particularly wise. You could be setting yourself up for the kind of fall that will gut you and ruin your Vegas trip.

just my two cents. I normally don't criticize players as gambling in itself is a ridiculous way to make money and I'm a greater fool than most but I'm simply saying be careful. Those ten days in April should tell you what can happen. And a bad run can last for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

I've only read the first and last page so apologies if I'm missing something here but why are you playing 10/20 no limit if you only have 8 grand as a bankroll? Or is it limit you are playing?

lololol I think you might want to read through again. His bankroll is>>>>>>>>>8k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Don't know where you got that 8k from Doc.

Nice stuff Valor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

in a word, Oops!
    i guess it pays to read the pages first before typing...
    I hope Vegas works out for you Valor, it seems to be working out so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

Gret read Valor. I've really only got one question... Are you ever tempted to take a shot at a level way outside your bankroll like 50/100 etc had if yes, how do you resist the temptation?

Do you feel you would make it in the business world?

Yes most definitely. My career plans before Poker came along was to go into IBanking and I'm sure I would have been very successful going down that route. In the future I plan to own my business(es) and I'm sure I'll have alot of success

Do you believe you have a competitive edge in things you are new to as you can learn and adapt quicker than others?

Yeah definitely. I think it comes down to natural intelligence basically. I've always been good at things like logic puzzles and maths etc. This is a pretty hard topic to expand on though so I guess I'll just leave it at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

valor wrote:
    Yes most definitely. My career plans before Poker came along was to go into IBanking and I'm sure I would have been very successful going down that route. In the future I plan to own my business(es) and I'm sure I'll have alot of success

Yeah definitely. I think it comes down to natural intelligence basically. I've always been good at things like logic puzzles and maths etc. This is a pretty hard topic to expand on though so I guess I'll just leave it at that!

Thought as much. Might be seeing each other around in the future. Keep up the good work.

Secondly This is a brilliant well.... good work. Thanks.

Cheers

Do you find it hard not to splash your cash? Being a student and all?

I actually find it difficult TO splash my cash because theres not alot to spend it on. I dont have any interest in buying things like big screen TV's or whatever. I live really close to college so I have no use for a car. My parents also give me money so Its not like I even need to spend my poker income at all. Also because none of my friends have as much money as me they cant go out as much etc

Im also a bit of a life nit in terms of spending money so that restricts my spending levels too

Do you think that ultimately poker affected your degree and studies?

Yeah definitely, from two perspectives. Firstly its obviously a distraction and because I spend so much of my time reading Poker forums, thinking about hands and situations, talking to poker friends and obviously playing it cuts into time that *could* be spend going to class or studying. More importantly though poker has totally changed my mindset and future plans. Originally I wanted to be getting a first so I could get the jobs with best bank to get the big money, but Poker has offered me an opportunity to make more money easier and faster. This basically means I care an awful lot less than I used to about the standard of the work I hand in or how much study I do for exams.
    I've done 4 exams so far this summer and I have done reasonably well in all of them and I expect to be averaging a High 2:1 but not getting a first isnt bothering me at all anymore

What do u think of UCD pokersoc? lol

I dont know alot about them but from what I've heard their tournaments are really badly run and the guys who run it skim off the top? Just rumours though, I played in one of their tourneys one time and never went back and have no association with them

Have u ever sat at a table that u knew or felt was not beatable? where all the other players had your number?

No If I was at such a table I would just leave. Sometimes the 5/10 tables get short handed with 2-3 good regs and I just stand up. I probably have an edge but it takes too much concentration to play that game when Im playing several other tables.

Which had more influence on your rise through levels? talent or hard work? (dont be boring and say both)

Its quite hard to tell because obviously both have had a part to play but I would say hard work. I've put in an awful lot of time analyzing my play and just putting in hands. Posting hands and responding to hands on 2+2 has probably been the most beneficial thing to my game and that took alot of hard work!
    Im in 1st Comm, is there anything we can do to bring a good level of poker to this college much like other colleges have? or Do you care?

To be honest, I dont really care. College poker is just way below my level and I dont have any interest. I dont want to sound high handed or whatever when I say that but I'm not sure how to express it otherwise?

Thanks Valor

NP

only problem was that they are STILL mounties and you are in 3rd year, 16 FFS! :)

That AINT a problem \o/

Mellor wrote:

Thanks

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote:

Anyway Gav, we going out tonight or what? (no idea why im posting to ask but you're doing a well so I'll talk to ya through this)

Could do

dvdfan wrote:
    You say you had 4k for 200 nl = 20 buyins but that you havent moved levels without 40 buyins, is this a calculation error or were you happy enough with 20 buyins at that level?

I dont know to be honest, I was wrong when I said the I havent moved up without 40 buyins though because I definitely didnt have 8k when I hit 200NL. scratch that! I would be happy with 20 buyins at that level certainly because my edge would be huge

Whats the strongest part of your game?

I'm very good at playing the fundamentals and sticking to my rules. I have certain ranges that I stick to, I stop myself from calling 3 bets when I shouldnt, I dont fire barrels when I know I shouldnt, I make folds when I know I am beaten etc.
    What do you think is the weakest part of your game?

The weakest part of my game is when I tilt and throw my fundamentals out of the window!
    What is the most common mistake/weakness that you see and exploit?

Alot of 'good' players are terrible at playing 3 bet pots. They call 3 bets with horrible hands, in or out of position, and also squeeze / 3 bet in bad spots. Guys who Open KQo and then call for 1/8th of their stack OOP etc. Alot of these guys play hit or fold too so its really easy to take the pots away from them.
    Where did u pick up the majority of your poker knowledge?
    I'm guessing 2+2? which posters do you respect the most?

Yeah 2+2 by far. The best poster on the forum I frequent is Big_Jim. His advice is consistently good and he posts in an awful lot of threads. There are alot of other good posters who post much less frequently but he has to get the props for consistency.
    Has poker changed your personality/attitude to money/prospective on life?

Yeah definitely, I've covered this in other responses I think
    What's the sickest call down you've ever made?

I dont know to be honest, I cant think of one. I'm not trawling through my PT database looking for one but If I think of one I'll post it
    Do u listen to music while you play? what selection if u do?

Not really. Sometimes I do, I have a very eclectic taste I'm listening to Oasis right now, I could be listening to Ja Rule or Jimi Hendrix next etc.
    What are you vpip/pfr/af stats? if u don't mind saying

I play around 20/17/4
    Do you think there's much wrong with the forum, how should it be improved?

not really, there are an awful lot of threads I have no interest in but its pretty easy to navigate around them. I dont think theres a humongous need for a sub forum but I dont think it has any downside so why not?
    Great well so far, thanks for answering these.

NP

in a word, Oops!
    i guess it pays to read the pages first before typing...
    I hope Vegas works out for you Valor, it seems to be working out so far.

thanks

Don't know where you got that 8k from Doc.

Nice stuff Valor.

holla

Flipper wrote:
    Gret read Valor. I've really only got one question... Are you ever tempted to take a shot at a level way outside your bankroll like 50/100 etc had if yes, how do you resist the temptation?

Thanks

In short, no. I have the self control not to, and I probably wouldnt have an edge and I'm not stupid enough to want to lose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

Hi, great read so far, thanks. Few more for you:

What posters on 2+2 do you think you learned the most from, particularly when working your way up through micro/small stakes ?

What were your PT stats like at these levels (VPIP/PFR/AF), if you remember, or dont mind revealing.

Thanks again.

djsctt wrote:
    Hi, great read so far, thanks. Few more for you:

What posters on 2+2 do you think you learned the most from, particularly when working your way up through micro/small stakes ?

I cant really remember who had the most influence on me in that period, hazy memory!. As I said earlier, I think Big_JIm is best regular MSNL posters are there are alot of good posters who post less regularly like RBK or MDMA
    What were your PT stats like at these levels (VPIP/PFR/AF), if you remember, or dont mind revealing.

I dont know to be honest, atm im around 20/17 but I still have sessions where I play like 17/14. I think I was around that for most of my rise thru the limits, I've always been naturally tight.
    Thanks again.

You're welcome

valor wrote:
    I dont know alot about them but from what I've heard their tournaments are really badly run and the guys who run it skim off the top? Just rumours though, I played in one of their tourneys one time and never went back and have no association with them
    just for the record the UCD pokersoc dont take any rake at all. the standard of play is literally the worst ever, but as far as above board its grand.

• Advertisement

college poker hurts a poker players head.

Advertisement