Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organised religion's - means of extorting power and money.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote:
    Why, since death leads to eternal happiness?

Well, by that logic we would all commit suicide as soon as we got saved. Christians believe that we have been placed on this earth for a purpose, and we want to fulfill that purpose. Personally, I am quite happy to die and go to heaven anytime - but my wife wants me to hang around a bit longer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

rockbeer wrote:
    Indeed. I've often wondered why hardcore christians grieve at the death of a loved one. By their own logic they should surely be happily celebrating another soul's arrival in heaven.

Unless they aren't really so confident about it after all.

At my daughter's funeral we sang loud and enthusiastic praise choruses, People clapped, danced, and celebrated her departure for heaven. Does that mean I'm not hardcore?

Have you ever seen a Salvation Army funeral? They call death a "promotion to Glory" and decorate the church building with white ribbons. Everyone wears white armbands - no black clothes allowed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

PDN wrote:
    At my daughter's funeral we sang loud and enthusiastic praise choruses, People clapped, danced, and celebrated her departure for heaven. Does that mean I'm not hardcore?

Not at all, I think that's fantastic and I'm genuinely impressed to hear that your emotions are aligned with your beliefs. Most church funerals I've been unfortunate enough to attend have been dark and dour affairs full of tears, wailing and interminable cant about how great the person was and how unfair that they had to die...

Which in truth I've always regarded as compelling psychological evidence of doubt, not to mention for heaven being a human construct.

I mean, which is the more tenable reason for it's existence? That some people who lived a long time ago wrote it in a book? Or that it serves a real and observable psychological need in aiding the bereaved to come to terms with their loss?

PDN wrote:
    Have you ever seen a Salvation Army funeral? They call death a "promotion to Glory" and decorate the church building with white ribbons. Everyone wears white armbands - no black clothes allowed!

Never had anything to do with the Sallys - except when we did Major Barbara at college, but I was too busy indulging in youthful hedonsim to pay much attention :)

Edit: By 'hardcore' I only meant christians who actually choose and think about their beliefs, rather than the sheep who just believe what they were told when they were children. Those I would expect to be at the mercy of their emotions at a time of grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote:

Ah yes, but the original question was why would a Christian protect themselves from possible death?

I know suicide is a sin (it would kinda have to be, otherwise there would be no Christians!), but accidental death isn't.

One would think you guys would be lining yourself up for dynamite handlers or parachute testing jobs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Wicknight wrote:
    Ah yes, but the original question was why would a Christian protect themselves from possible death?

I know suicide is a sin (it would kinda have to be, otherwise there would be no Christians!), but accidental death isn't.

One would think you guys would be lining yourself up for dynamite handlers or parachute testing jobs :D

Then we'd miss all the fun out of debating with AA's. :D

I was chatting with a woman I know about this topic and she lives in real fear of death. I'm not overly bothered about it. The only bother is how it occurs.

• Advertisement

I'm not overly bothered about it. The only bother is how it occurs.

Still we don't see you clearing mines in Bosnia ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Wicknight wrote:
    Still we don't see you clearing mines in Bosnia ...

God has called me for other tasks more suited to me.

All are not called for the highrisk jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

God has called me for other tasks more suited to me.

All are not called for the highrisk jobs.
    How convenient.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pinksoir wrote:
    How convenient.
    Um, I don't think they recruit junior soccer coaches to clear mines anyway.
    Or web developers I hope.;)

Um, I don't think they recruit junior soccer coaches to clear mines anyway.
    Or web developers I hope.;)

who are "they" .... <wicknight puts on tin foil hat>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

If by 'they' you mean 'God', then I'm sure he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Can't you see someone getting all miffed that the nice chalice they bought for the communion wine was sold to buy food for Guatemalan children? or for helping aids victims in Africa?

They could be madder'n a hornet.:eek:
    What sort of a Christian would they be???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I agree, scofflaw. I also agree with wicknight and his point about contributions to a charity in lieu of flowers (the florists might not think it a good idea though)

Can't you see someone getting all miffed that the nice chalice they bought for the communion wine was sold to buy food for Guatemalan children? or for helping aids victims in Africa?

They could be madder'n a hornet.:eek:

Well the issues for me here are, 1}would they be encouraging conversions while they are helping those Guatemalan children and aids victims?

2, for many the collections of art and artefacts in the catholic and some other churches, is a source of wonder and awe. I mean, how many people might they lose to atheism if they began selling off items that made people in the western world feel like Gods chosen ones. Most people with money in the west don't need feeding, but we love ego boosts. Would less money be collected by the church if it didn't look so awe inspiring/so powerful?

I really wouldn't want the sale of chalices paying for missionaries that might make people who believe in other Gods feel inferior.
    I would want the sale of chalices if it resulted in a fall of worshipers or less money for the church to make more conversions.
    I need some data before I can answer this great question.

Advertisement