Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axa Ripoff and the value of shopping around..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

craichoe wrote:
    The Car you are driving HAS to have a Valid Insurance Policy for your Policy to be in effect. When it is you are covered Third Party Only (Not fire and theft).

Hibernian and Axa are the two I know of that have this policy, was the same when i had the bike and Hibernian were still doing it.

Some people say this, but I've never seen it written down on an insurance policy. I needed my dad to drive my car home for me when I bought it because I had no insurance, and he rang AXA to ask if it was okay for him to drive another car that wasn't insured and they said it was fine.

The following is the text from my Quinn Direct policy:
    Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover you, the
    policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving
    any other privately owned motor car which you do not own or
    have not hired under a hire-purchase or lease agreement, as long
    as:
    1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered on the certificate of
    insurance;
    4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair.

No mention of the other car having to have valid insurance. No mention of restrictions on my insurance cert either.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Well ive just shopped around and it turns out AXA is the cheapest.
    For me on a provisional, with 1 years experience driving a 1ltr it was €2200 last year (fully comp.) and now €1400 this year (fully comp.). :)
    Im 21 by the way, thats why the high premiums.:(

Quinn was the closest though by €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Clank wrote:
    Well ive just shopped around and it turns out AXA is the cheapest.
    For me on a provisional, with 1 years experience driving a 1ltr it was €2200 last year (fully comp.) and now €1400 this year (fully comp.). :)
    Im 21 by the way, thats why the high premiums.:(

Quinn was the closest though by €50.

Im 22 and my premuim was under 900 fully comp on a 1.4 litre with hibernian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

mine is 1002 with quinn... im 19, full liance.. on a 1.6 skoda octavia.... get up your arses and get a full liances.. even with the amount of lessons its cheeper

anto-t wrote:
    get up your arses and get a full liances..

Carlsberg don't do ironic typos, but if they did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

tuxy wrote:
    Insurance quotes in Ireland are decided by someone closing their eyes and mashing their hand on the keypad.
    lol..
    no no.. its dartboard... im telling you.

All the insurers get together on the weekend and have a game, ofcourse with their own rules:

"Bullseye, Everyone pays more!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

hobochris wrote:
    lol..
    no no.. its dartboard... im telling you.

All the insurers get together on the weekend and have a game, ofcourse with their own rules:

"Bullseye, Everyone pays more!"

Thats a good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

fletch wrote:
    drdre is correct, there is no stipulation or conditions on my policy also. And I asked the girl on the phone to confirm this to me and to ask her supervisor as I also couldn't believe it when she told me :D

My hibernian policy says the same:
    that i can drive any other car with the owners permission and i am fully insured....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

neacy69 wrote:
    My hibernian policy says the same:
    that i can drive any other car with the owners permission and i am fully insured....

Until you crash ... Then they'll ask where the L Plates and Fully licensed driver were. ...

They'll say your covered until you have an accident then they'll worm their way out of it.

craichoe wrote:
    Until you crash ... Then they'll ask where the L Plates and Fully licensed driver were. ...

And I'll just tell them the L-plates went in the bin some time ago and I was sitting in the driver's seat. What's that got to do with needing to have the other car insured?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Stark wrote:
    And I'll just tell them the L-plates went in the bin some time ago and I was sitting in the driver's seat. What's that got to do with needing to have the other car insured?

Seriously though, conversations between the gardai and an insurance company go like this:

Garda: Hello i'm ring up about x .. just want to know if he has insurance

Insurance Company: Was there an Accident ?

Garda: no no, just routine check

Insurance Company: Oh yes he's covered .. no problem

Goes the other way and it's

"We will have to investigate this further"

Advertisement