Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axa Ripoff and the value of shopping around..

Options
  • 14-05-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Well today was my first real experience in shopping around for car insurance, and I have to say the difference is staggering!

A bit of info first:
    I’m 29 and on a provisional license, I have 2 years driving experience driving a 1ltr(973cc) Opel cosra. my origal insurance was €1800 fully comp with AXA and like a mupped it paid it..

i changed the car about 4 weeks ago for something with a bit more power and size, so i looked around and settled on a suzikie grand vitara, phoned axa and got the insurance changed over, and paid the €200 excess, ok i thought, my insurance will be €2000 next renewal, not a chance! got the new quote in the door today... €2950!! phoned them and asked what the hell!! nothing they could do they said.. id be lucky to get a good quote anywhere....

3 phonecalls later, one quote for €2000, one for €1500, and the one i accepted €1031 fully comp from Eagle star....

So as the government says... shop around!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Your point being?? :confused:
    How much is your policy now? Did you see a big reduction by changing insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

lol something strange happned! and the post did not submit fully

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I used to be with AXA (family loyalty blah blah blah) but rang around and the AA were about €600 less. Thank you Mr AA :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I got quoted over 6k when i was 18 and then i rang hibernian and it was only around 2800. After the 1st year it fell to less than 1500.
    I think hibernian are the best.Well im going to stick with them for afew years :)Now 3 yrs on i was quoted 800 fully comp on a 1.4 car and im only 22.I think thats a good price as i can drive any other car third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Thanks OP. Must shop around more when renewing my insurance in august.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

wrong dre, you can drive any other car with the same power or less... check the fine print. Anything over a 1.4 or with more power than yours and you're not covered!

steve06 wrote:
    wrong dre, you can drive any other car with the same power or less... check the fine print. Anything over a 1.4 or with more power than yours and you're not covered!

Ah no. I rang them 4-5 times to confirm this and went to dun laoire branch and they said ANY car once i have permission from owner.I drive my fathers car all time and i have confirm this many times even from the manager.I confirmed this so many times because when i was 18 i couldnt believe this additional extra.thats why i went with hibernian i had a cheaper quote from another company but paid the extra.I drove my uncles xc90 for 2 months under my policy and i rang hibernian to make sure and they said its fine that i dont need to put the jeep in my policy and that im covered.

steve06 wrote:

Just another thing i got caught speeding in the xc90 and the jeep was taken from me.I had to prove my licence and insurance as i didnt have it with me.So i called the insurance company to confirm i was insured on volvo jeep and they said yes.So then i brought all paper work to realease the jeep.So under my policy i can drive other cars i dont know about your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

lazygit wrote:
    Well today was my first real experience in shopping around for car insurance, and I have to say the difference is staggering!

A bit of info first:
    I’m 29 and on a provisional license, I have 2 years driving experience driving a 1ltr(973cc) Opel cosra. my origal insurance was €1800 fully comp with AXA and like a mupped it paid it..

i changed the car about 4 weeks ago for something with a bit more power and size, so i looked around and settled on a suzikie grand vitara, phoned axa and got the insurance changed over, and paid the €200 excess, ok i thought, my insurance will be €2000 next renewal, not a chance! got the new quote in the door today... €2950!! phoned them and asked what the hell!! nothing they could do they said.. id be lucky to get a good quote anywhere....

3 phonecalls later, one quote for €2000, one for €1500, and the one i accepted €1031 fully comp from Eagle star....

So as the government says... shop around!

If you had shopped around the previous 2 yrs you would have saved yourself best part of 2 grand!! dont live up to your username!!!

Keith C wrote:
    If you had shopped around the previous 2 yrs you would have saved yourself best part of 2 grand!! dont live up to your username!!!
    Heehehe Excellent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Funny I find that it literally depends on the car, one of mine was quite a bit cheaper with AXA and they asked if they could quote for the other when due, they were far dearer.

However I have got their loyalty card and I've used it in quite a few places, including Halfords where I got 15% off tools and a mountain bike !

Happy enough !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

drdre wrote:
    Just another thing i got caught speeding in the xc90 and the jeep was taken from me.I had to prove my licence and insurance as i didnt have it with me.So i called the insurance company to confirm i was insured on volvo jeep and they said yes.So then i brought all paper work to realease the jeep.So under my policy i can drive other cars i dont know about your policy.
    I still wouldn't be so sure. If this was the case then people could get a 1ltr micra and a ferrari, put the ferrari in someone elses name and drive it around without paying the insurance on it. On my policy I was told the same and when I questioned it and read the fine print, it's not an open insurance policy and they'll only actually cover you if it's not your car and if it's the same or lower power/engine size than your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

steve06 wrote:
    I still wouldn't be so sure. If this was the case then people could get a 1ltr micra and a ferrari, put the ferrari in someone elses name and drive it around without paying the insurance on it. On my policy I was told the same and when I questioned it and read the fine print, it's not an open insurance policy and they'll only actually cover you if it's not your car and if it's the same or lower power/engine size than your own.

I was with Hibernian up till this year and was insured to drive anything up to the value of €75,000 and of course I was licened to drive as long as the vehicle was not mine and it was owned privately (not a company or rental vehicle).

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote:
    I was with Hibernian up till this year and was insured to drive anything up to the value of €75,000 and of course I was licened to drive as long as the vehicle was not mine and it was owned privately (not a company or rental vehicle).
    Thanks for confirming this but i was told ANY car and i asked even ferrari and she said yes.Thats why i have driven high powered cars just because im insured or i would never have driven them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

drdre is correct, there is no stipulation or conditions on my policy also. And I asked the girl on the phone to confirm this to me and to ask her supervisor as I also couldn't believe it when she told me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Imagine this!
    SWMBO shopped around at renewal time and managed to get a quote of 600 online as opposed to over a grand with AXA. She promptly signed up and lo and behold the online quote was with ... AXA. They made no bones about and sent out the disc. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Something similar happened me this week. Hibernian directly wanted 1150 off me and in the end I got a Hibernian policy off AIB for 672

Something similar happened me this week. Hibernian directly wanted 1150 off me and in the end I got a Hibernian policy off AIB for 672

Woo thats a huge difference for the same company insurance.There must be some change in the policy.Did you get windscreen cover and breakdown assist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

MercMad wrote:
    However I have got their loyalty card and I've used it in quite a few places, including Halfords where I got 15% off tools and a mountain bike !

Happy enough !:)

I got that last year too, and rightly so. Its the least they could do after charging me over €3k in premium. Oh and you don't have to stay with AXA to keep taking advantage of that card.

I recently changed over to QD to save my wallet some and still use the AXA plus card, saved me €30 on my new radio :D

The open driving thing isn't all its cracked up to be. You have to have a full license and the cover then is still only 3rd Party, so when you wrap that OPC or Ferrari around a tree or lamppost good luck paying it off for the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AXA are crazy expensive. I remember getting put down as a named driver on my parents' 1.4L at 23. Even after making me take 10 lessons (at my own expense), they still quoted me over €1500. Wanted to get my own insurance the next year with them and they quoted me €2200 which included named driver experience discount and family discount. Quinn Direct me €1600 and that didn't include any discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Strangely enough, I've found Axa cheaper than QD

When i got my first car (in 2000), Axa quoted me 3k punts full comp, on a brand new 1.4VVTi Corolla. Quinn wanted 5,600K comp.
    3 months later, I passed my test, Axa refunded 1K, and my price per year has gone down to almost match my fathers, with a similar car. I find haggling or popping into the office ( or getting my dad to it for me), rather than phone works best, and I always getting reduction from the printed quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

NiSmO wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

if you were to insure a 1ltr car and then drive an opc what happens if it gets stolen. you've no insurance* and say goodbye to the guts of €30k.

*assuming you own an opc and no-one else has theft coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

I don't know if it's still the case but AA in my experience have always been cheaper than AXA for the same coverage. Still when you get the disk, the car is insured with AXA. Funny old world.

Leon11 wrote:
    if you were to insure a 1ltr car and then drive an opc what happens if it gets stolen. you've no insurance* and say goodbye to the guts of €30k.

*assuming you own an opc and no-one else has theft coverage

I think NiSmO was referring to his parents getting open drive on their insurance as opposed to named driver only option, as opposed to the common scam of getting insured on a 1.0L then using the driving other cars extension to drive a 3.0L.

Any open drive policies I've seen only allow drivers over the age of 26 with full licences to drive the car btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Insurance quotes in Ireland are decided by someone closing their eyes and mashing their hand on the keypad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i've been with hibernian and st. paul travellers through britton insurance (brokers) for the last 2 years. i rang britton's with a quote i got from quinn of 1100, their own best offer being 1650, and they immediately matched it. it's worth shopping around but also worth making a call and seeing what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

RE:Open driving.

Folks, everyone is forgetting one very important piece of info.

The car you are "openly" insured has to have a current and valid insurance disk.

Afaik, you can put the insurance disc from your car into the other car if the other car doesn't have a disc already. It's also a good idea to carry around your insurance cert when you're in another person's car regardless of whether it has a disc or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The Car you are driving HAS to have a Valid Insurance Policy for your Policy to be in effect. When it is you are covered Third Party Only (Not fire and theft).

Hibernian and Axa are the two I know of that have this policy, was the same when i had the bike and Hibernian were still doing it.

If the car does not have an active insurance policy on it the open insurance on your policy is not in effect. You have to temporarily transfer of cover to this vehicle and aprise the insurer of the Registration and Value of the Vehicle.

Open Driving is something else:
    (From one direct)
    Our open driving option allows anyone to drive your car as long as they are over 25 and under 70 years of age with a full licence. This is available for an additional 15% on your net premium. To qualify, you the policyholder must have your Full/EU licence for more than 5 years and have a minimum of 30% No Claims Bonus. This is available for Class 1A and Class 1B only.

Speaking of shopping around for insurance quotes, my broker quoted me

1388.14 TPFT with Hibernian
    911.00 TPFT with Coyle Hamilton
    I got some crazy uber f*ck off quote with AXA, was up around 1800
    and Finally when with YEEE HAWW Inc (Quinn Direct) initially it was 686 but i stuck on Windscreen cover as an optional extra which brought it to 721 TPFT.

This is on a 00 1.9 TDI Skoda Octavia which is actaully working out cheaper to insure than my old 1997 1.4L Opel Astra.

I was reluctant to go back to Quinn but could resist the decent price.

I'm 26 with 2 years no claims on a provisional license in Cork Suburbs.

Advertisement