Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden History ,De velara , nazis in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Terms and conditions apply... :D

As for Cathal O'Sheridan, I can't find any info on the interweb about him, did it say what university he was with?

His name is O'Shannon. I don't think he's an academic historian, just retired journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

FiSe wrote:

pretty cool ,has all info on ss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Thousand of Jews left in Ireland eh? Are you a betting man perchance Mountanyman?

I'd bet you that there are only no more than 10 indigeounous Irish Jewish families left. Dublin and Cork both had thriving Jewish communities at the turn of the century, they are all gone now, most emigrated to Manchester.

MM may not be but I'll take your bet. There are "thousands" of Jews in Ireland, although that's still a tiny community .

Apart from abominations like the so-called "Limerick Pogrom" of 100 years ago when Jewish families were run out of Limerick for having the temerity to be rather better business people than some of the locals whose trade they hurt and who were easily swayed by the rants of a priestly bigot, the Jewish community in Ireland has been well respected and deservedly so.

Despite its tiny size, it has produced in the 20th century two lord mayors of Dublin, one lord mayor of Cork, four TDs and a president of Israel.

With the return of Alan Shatter to the Dail in the last election the anomaly of the last but one Dail as being the only one NOT to have had at least one Jewish deputy since Fianna Fail ended abstentionism in 1928 and "proper" parliamentary democracy came into operation, has been corrected.

The president of Israel was one Chaim Herzog who was born in Belfast and grew up in Dublin, attending Wesley College. He was first generation Irish (his father was sent to Ireland to be Chief Rabbi) and his family now lives in Israel. His son, Yitzhak Herzog, was frequently on our TV screens as an Israeli government spokesman during the war with Hezbollah last year.

Chaim Herzog's memoirs touch on his time in Ireland and he seemed to have many pleasant memories of a generally tolerant atmosphere towards Jewish people. There were always cat calls levelled at him as a child by the usual uncouth yobs, but he puts the fact that the Jewish community was generally speaking well respected and popular down to the support for the Irish independence struggle of so many prominent Jews.

His father, the Chief Rabbi, was close to De Valera who, Herzog says, greatly valued his counsel. He also points out that De Valera was one of the first national leaders to visit Israel after its independence and came to dinner at the Hezog family household with Bobby Briscoe (one of the Jewish TDs and mayors of Dublin) and Ben Gurion, the Israeli premier.

The experience of the Herzog family in Ireland is probably fairly typical. They came, they stayed for a generation, they moved on. To Israel.

At one stage, there were three Jewish TDs in the Dail. Shatter of Fine Gael, Mervyn Taylor of Labour and Ben Briscoe of Fianna Fail. A "where are they now" item in one newspaper just recently said that all of Mervyn Taylor's children now live outside Ireland. I bet at least some of them are in Israel.

The Irish Jewish community is below the "critical mass" that it needs to survive as a definable community in its own right. Its members will emigrate for reasons of marriage, opportunity and of course the natural pull towards Israel that many Jewish people feel.

The suggestion that they are or were being forcibly moved on as happened under Nazi regimes is scurrilous and incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

So Lazairus, what I was initally curious about was whether Folens was an actual Nazi member, or whether he was labelled one just because he fought in the SS. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this Cathal O'Sheridan guy got it wrong.

What they claimed was that he was a interpreter for the gestapo in belgium after he got wounded in Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

But the show was about Nazi's. That's why I asked if he was an actual member.

• Advertisement
Advertisement