Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential Information Pack 2007: cutlery stealing

Options
  • 10-05-2007 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

There's a special note about stealing cutlery, or rather about not stealing cutlery, in the info thingie this year. Isn't it gas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Really? I still have my spoon. They can't take that away! First the Hub discos, then the Street, now this? It'll be CG01 soon, or making pyramids out of whatever, or mocking the Sportalians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I didn't notice that, they should really have one about stealing kitchen appliances too, but I heard that we won't have toaaters or kettles this year.

Jack Lynch: aren't you a nevermore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

When was the last time the discos were in the Hub? In 05 they promised 06...

I am. That doesn't mean I can't feel moral outrage.

The discos were last in the Hub in 2003, I believe. The first disco of '04 might have been there, but I dont really remember. It was a very long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I believe they also added a section disallowing drum kits. (could have been there last year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Jack Lynch wrote:
    The discos were last in the Hub in 2003, I believe. The first disco of '04 might have been there, but I dont really remember. It was a very long time ago.

Aye, the last one in the Hub was the first disco of Session 2, 2004.. I think.

Surprised they haven't put in a specific rule about cutlery stealing before now.. although I guess it should go without saying... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

slasher_65 wrote:
    I believe they also added a section disallowing drum kits. (could have been there last year)

That's been there about three years.

Damn. Oh well. One question remains: Will people stop borrowing cutlery for indeffinate periods, or will they see that rules are made to be broken? Was never partial to the bent forks myself, as I was overly busy with Treacle Mine Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My sister couldn't stop laughing about the banned nunchucks, now she really wants to know what could have happened to lead them to banning nunchucks!

Don't you now get The Street on weekends now?

Too many nerds think they're martial artists, buy them and promptly injure themselves. The stereotypical thing of cracking yourself in the bollocks with them is just too funny.

• Advertisement

Too many nerds think they're martial artists, buy them and promptly injure themselves. The stereotypical thing of cracking yourself in the bollocks with them is just too funny.

I don't want to know...

Steal the spoons! Break the rules! Do it for me and the other Nevermores!

Having said that, I already have a spoon.

There are a few strange things being banned i have always wanted to know the story behind.

Jack Lynch wrote:
    I don't want to know...

Fairly self-explanatory...

I can think of a few that were explained to me. Most of them common sense will piece together though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I just wish a certain big guy had actually stolen one of the potted plants in the canteen, back in '05.

I'd love to see how they would have addressed _that_ in the information pack.

This the same man behind the "Lungbuster 2000 (tm)"?

"Anything growing anywhere on DCU campus property should not be tampered with or appropriated. Immediate dismissal and splinters will follow if this rule is not observed".

Remember the cup castle fiasco in session 2 (either 06 or 05. I can't remember) Im supprised that that is not taken care of.
    Something along the lines of

'Students are permited to have one cup from the canteen at each meal-time. Those found to be hording thousands of them in the resedential area shall be submited to disciplinary actions'

Also, is it true that we won't get kettles and toasters this year? Toast parties could become 'Bring your own Toasters and Butter' parties. Fun.

Well, to be honest, someone was inevitably going to get hurt by one, and while I hate the whole mammy culture idea we have these days, someone would have jumped on the opportunity to sue the place, which wouldn't have been helpful.

Well, to be honest, someone was inevitably going to get hurt by one, and while I hate the whole mammy culture idea we have these days, someone would have jumped on the opportunity to sue the place, which wouldn't have been helpful.

A paper cup?
    Remembering those cups, I doubt that they would cut ANYBODY as they were to thick for a paper-cut. They might.... I dunno... Blind somebody though. By sticking to their eyes somehow.

If you were talking about the forks, however, I can see how somebody might get hurt with one of those.

I was talking about toasters and kettles.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think we still have some cutlery I took from the canteen (I finished in 2003) They started cutting down on what was in the kitchens fairly early in my CTYI career though, so much that I used to bring half my kitchen along with me, it was actually pretty hilarious how much stuff I used to bring for three weeks - one suitcase full of clothes, one suitcase full of 'stuff' (kitchen appliances, hairdryer, Twister mat, frisbees, inflatable hammers etc) and several bags full of food like cereal to keep me going - my roommates used to love me. And I'd always have an procession of people helping me get all my luggage up into my room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Someone already got hurt with a toaster. I think it was in '04 when some guy jammed a fork in it and got electrocuted. Good times.

No he didn't. He got in trouble for putting a fork in a not plugged in toaster.

This may not be true. This is just the version of the story I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

As far as I know, another guy (who was doing electronics) was the one who unplugged a toatser before doing that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I hate the way it always seems to be one person who ruins it for everyone... A few yeasrs ago some kid in session 1 saw that film Memento in class, which had a 15s certificate, and had nightmares... His mother complained and threatened legal action, so us lucker session 2ers could only watch films with 12s certificates and under. That was the year that the Sunday film was Crocodile Dundee in LA. WORST FILM EVER (I think it was 2002... But I'm not sure)

We're not all that tsmart.

I remember hearing that about the fork in the toaster. In my day, we were banned from using the cookers. Probably for the best.

Having said that, the stupidest thing that was ever done in a kitchen in my room was trying to make jelly in the sink. It didn't work.

Jack Lynch wrote:
    I remember hearing that about the fork in the toaster. In my day, we were banned from using the cookers.

Everyone was, but in never stopped us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Not to mention the geniuses that built a campfire in their sink...

One of those geniuses is sitting beside me and says:
    It was a good idea at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Undergod wrote:
    Everyone was, but in never stopped us.

Thoughts exactly. No one really cared.

• Advertisement

Rebels to the core!

Advertisement