Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really overpriced areas.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The whole of Dublin is over-priced in my opinion. As someone who does not have a Barrister/Lawyer salary or who wants a 50 year mortgage on a 6 times multiple, I have have had to stay in Glasgow as I could not afford a family home in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'm dead serious! This property is certainly unlikely to fall in value in the short term, and still has some headroom for increases. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that 1000/foot is a good target price rather than a good value level. High quality space in the cheaper end of Ballsbridge is doing around 1200 a foot.

You are correct that I like to take a detached view of the property market.

Do you seriously think that the likes of this 87sqm @ €895,000 + €80,550 stamp duty = €975,550 total still has some headroom for increases!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, you will notice that that property is already selling for around EUR 956/foot. I said a realistic target price for property in a certain area was EUR 1000/foot. Long subtraction indicates that this property does not have too much headroom according to my formula.

I would generally agree that the Portobello area is overpriced at the moment, especially compared to houses at the Docks/Canal end of Dublin 2.

a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What people value in a area or a property is very individual. What appeals to one might not appeal to the another. So you will find it hard to justify high prices in a area you don't really like, especially if you prefer a different area, and its cheaper! Someone who can afford millions on a house to live in is buying because they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

seamus wrote:
    Templeogue & Kimmage, piggybacking on D6W (D6W is also massively overpriced)..

Seamus, Templeogue and Kimmage are Dublin 6W AFAIK. Walkinstown is D12 so obviously the same house types will be different prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

stovelid wrote:
    Seamus, Templeogue and Kimmage are Dublin 6W AFAIK. Walkinstown is D12 so obviously the same house types will be different prices.

Maybe meant D6W piggybacking onto D6. One of the snobbiest descisions An Post made was to give in to the '6W' brigade

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Maybe meant D6W piggybacking onto D6. One of the snobbiest descisions An Post made was to give in to the '6W' brigade

Much the same way that the residents of Adamstown are pleading to be allowed keep their Lucan, Co. Dublin address- instead of being moved into Dublin 24......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've noticed that the likes of a 3 bed semi in commuter areas (<15miles) Rush/Lusk/Ratoath/Ashbourne/Dunboyne/Dunshaughlin are dearer than your 3 bed semi in Lucan where they go for the lowest range of 340+ at the mo for the lowest range whereby the former have a lowest range of 360+.

Granted the latter have nightmare traffic gridlock but the former have gridlock too, whats the catch for the non-suburb commuter areas especially the non-dub addresses and the non-suburb having most likely having management fees as they are newer, why they so special?
    Why pay 360k for a 3bed semi in Lusk with likely mgt fees in a village when 3beds are going for min 340k in the likes of Lucan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It used to be D12? Sure I remember Harold's Cross being that. They pressured An Post into designating it 6W right? Classic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gurramok wrote:
    I've noticed that the likes of a 3 bed semi in commuter areas (<15miles) Rush/Lusk/Ratoath/Ashbourne/Dunboyne/Dunshaughlin are dearer than your 3 bed semi in Lucan where they go for the lowest range of 340+ at the mo for the lowest range whereby the former have a lowest range of 360+.

Granted the latter have nightmare traffic gridlock but the former have gridlock too, whats the catch for the non-suburb commuter areas especially the non-dub addresses and the non-suburb having most likely having management fees as they are newer, why they so special?
    Why pay 360k for a 3bed semi in Lusk with likely mgt fees in a village when 3beds are going for min 340k in the likes of Lucan?

Simply a matter of supply and demand. With Adamstown and the new developments in Newcastle there are now 26,000 new dwellings (note: not all houses, a fair few are apartment complexes) either with planning permission or complete in their own rights. These locations all call themselves Lucan. Lucan is a much abused postal address- the village of Lucan has only 420 dwellings- but now seems to encompass a massive ring all the way over to Clonsilla/Porterstown/Leixlip/Newcastle/Clondalkin/Neilstown/Blanchardstown - its massive...... And its all a matter of perception. One side of the primary school in Neilstown is called Lucan, the other Neilstown- a 3 bed on one side is 350k a 3 bed on the other side 275k...... Its amazing the difference a postcode makes.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

iguana wrote:
    Imo, if you are earning twice the national average you are relatively wealthy. That still gets you no where near owning a proper family house in D4 & 6.
    I suppose that's the difference so. Most married people under 40 i know are both working parents earning more than the industrial wage and I wouldn't even begin to consider them as relatively wealthy. Even in a single income household I don't think earning e70k is relatively wealthy.

Advertisement