Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Line C1 work to commence soon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I presume this is because it's being funded (or brown enveloped?) by developers who own land in that area?

That line is barely ticking by as it is, extending it is a stupid idea IMHO

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Would it be ridiculous to suggest the following:

Re-align the entrance to connoly, tram drives up, just overruns the the entrance to the luas platform and then reverses in, driver has clear view and/or activate the trailing end's bell as well. (They can drive in reverse right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you can imagine a safety officer giving birth to a large number of exotic yellow birds ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Victor wrote:
    If you can imagine a safety officer giving birth to a large number of exotic yellow birds ...
    I'm not sure it makes a difference, but there IS a camera mounted on both ends of the tram, isn't there? (which can be viewed from the cab - i've seen the drivers watching them, but i don't know if they're able to bring up specific cameras, or just the forward facing and side cameras)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

It wouldn't be allowed, makes no sense, would add precious extra seconds to the journey the walkthough in Connolly as built won't be a delay, the track/tram transponder stuff wouldn't work either.

Health and safety and the RSC would throw a complete bender anyway

And there ain't a reverse selection lever as far as I know in a Luas tram, if there is its probably off the main console and has a safety seal on it to prevent accidental use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how long will it take the driver to walk the length of the tram and switch directions anyway?

no more than a minute i'd say.

given how close the stops are (Busaras, Connolly, Georges Dock, Mayor Square, all within about 5 minutes walk of each other) it not going to be a particularly quick section anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I would hazard a guess that when the line is completed there will be no driver walking from one end of a tram to the other. Trams will probably either terminate at Connolly or The Point. I presume that there will be provision for trams to avoid the Connolly stop? A timetable that had every other tram terminating at Connolly would be workable. Busaras is close enough to the station without being a major inconvenience for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BrianD wrote:
    I would hazard a guess that when the line is completed there will be no driver walking from one end of a tram to the other. Trams will probably either terminate at Connolly or The Point. I presume that there will be provision for trams to avoid the Connolly stop?

yeah - theres a triangle proposed at Connolly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Don't see having to walk to the other cab being a prob - Connolly is a major stop anyway, loads of passenger interchange, people dragging luggage off/on, it will take at least 1 min to wait for passenger movements to cease anyway. If anything the driver will be waiting for the passengers to settle down rather than the other way around.

Advertisement