Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Line C1 work to commence soon

Options
  • 03-05-2007 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭

The Construction work on the Luas Line C1 from Connolly to the Docklands is to begin at the end of this month. The Work is said to begin after the Docklands Fun Run which takes place on the 22nd of May afaik. I will admit it's great to see it start but the thing I very worry about is the traffic congestion it will cause, especially at the place where they are building the new Luas Bridge. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Good news.
    If they somehow manage to knock out the electricity in the IFSC, imagine the chaos:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

On a slightly different topic - have they started on the Cherrywood extension to the green line? There appears to be alot of construction going on around Leopardstown roundabout and roads in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

When the Luas comes into Connolly, I assume the driver will have to get out and walk to the far end to continue with the journey after the extension is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Of course not, that would be stupid, and a sign of a serious lack of planning.

He'll jog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Will some trams skip Connolly and go straght to the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When is this scheduled to finish? A different option from walking to the Point...about time(without it being in a car)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Mushy wrote:
    When is this scheduled to finish? A different option from walking to the Point...about time(without it being in a car)
    It's in the image Victor linked to above - the end of 2009. This is actually late, as it was down for 2008 in the Transport 21 manifesto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

2010, well not that long away seeing were 1/2 way through 2007. It shouldnt cause that much traffic problems seeing that not a whole pile of traffic goes through Mayor Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Will some trams skip Connolly and go straght to the point!

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a case of every second tram. eg. Tallaght to Point then Tallaght to Connolly.

That's the way it works on some lines on the London Underground and it's a great system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

only there's no need for that - it should have been designed to allow a contiguous through run without a reverse. Emphasis on, should have been ... anyways it's not that long a run from the proposed junction to the Connolly platforms so there would be no real time saving in skipping it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

SeanW wrote:
    only there's no need for that - it should have been designed to allow a contiguous through run without a reverse. Emphasis on, should have been ... anyways it's not that long a run from the proposed junction to the Connolly platforms so there would be no real time saving in skipping it.
    Poxyshamrock is referring to the time saved by the driver not having to get out and head for the other end of the tram, which could be up to 2-3 mins.

I'm not sure the plan will be of the form Tallaght->Connolly then Tallaght->Point, as this would mean the Point would only get half as many services as everywhere else on the Red line. But then, the population along the Connolly->Point corridor won't be high for several years to come, and most people getting on at Connolly will be heading for town, not the Point.

Also, SeanW, it would have been hard to set Connolly up as a terminus without using the ramp space - I don't see how it could have been any other way. The part of Mayor St outside the station beside the Harbourmaster is too narrow for a Luas terminus. In any case, it's possible that the nature of the arrangement - where there will be a dead end leading into Connolly - was actually intended all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you could add a couple of drivers to the shift and have them swap out at connolly. Given how ridiculously slow the heuston-connolly section is anyway (does the tram get any priority?) I doubt they're too worried about a 2 minute changeover at Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

IIRC it would have been possible with the previous layout to run direct to the point but they messed around with the ramp because they thought they'd never need to run to the Point

Just like they'd never need to link the Green and Red...

Line C and C(S) - from O'Connell Street to Connolly is / was a shambles. The stops were meant to be more balanced, at Jervis (Line A), Easons, VHI, Busaras and Connolly (All Line C / C(S)).

The had to do something until Line C1 was decided upon so they built on the Connolly ramp site.

In deciding C1 they procrastinated so long that Mayor Street looked more favourable than Sheriff Street. When that was settled, CIE decided in their great wisdom to put Docklands Station and the proposed intercity bus station (in the Connolly car park) on Sheriff Street.

So much for "planning".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If you look at that map you'll see that the Point LUAS stop is as far away from the front doors of the Point as it possibly could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

If you look at that map you'll see that the Point LUAS stop is as far away from the front doors of the Point as it possibly could be.
    The stop refers to the Point Village, of which it will be in the middle of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The problem with separating CIE and LUAS is that they seem to be at odds with each other - Broadstone is looking like another version of this with LUAS wanting the Broadstone alignment and CIE pulling a "we need it too" out of its ass after years of telling people it wasn't needed any more and parking buses there was the greater need.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

Does anybody know if this work has started yet? I was down in the IFSC last week and could not see any sign of it started. Mind you they probably have to wait for Martin Cullen to be re-appointed as Minister of Transport before they can start. He would have to turn the sod as usual.

Apparently they are doing work on Upper Mayor Street (towards The Point)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

No big deal about the Luas drivers walking from one end of the trams to the other.

This is not a CIE union employee we are dealing with and hence, the Luas driver will be capable of moving his legs at normal human walking pace... proceeding from one driving cab to the other without having a chat with Anto about the "Da Pool" match on SkySports the previous night, until they are interrupted by Deko who comes over annoyed that the union is a bit slow on setting his young lad up with a job, as the three of them then start planning to screw Irish taxpayers and commuters with the stress strike before the 10m section arrive, before all agreeing that "FF are shower of gangsters, can't believe they got back in again and Labour didn't get a landslide so the quality public transport we provide would be protected from greedy bastards who don't care about da commuters. and then they all light up their fags under the NO SMOKING sign..."

Meanwhile the passengers looking at their watches are wondering what car they are going to buy tomorrow.

Yes indeed. I am fairly confident that any reversing at Connolly will not be a problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

I just crack up every time I read that phrase in his press releases. If you asked me he "turned sod" years ago . .

Aquavid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

spot on Transport 21 Fan! :) the whole benchmarking process etc now that things are starting to turn in the economy is a total joke and totally out of line with reality, (pity we cant all work for the cushy public sector) also a pity we didnt get a private terminal at the airport and put those strike mongers back into place!

On topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Does anybody know if this work has started yet? I was down in the IFSC last week and could not see any sign of it started. Mind you they probably have to wait for Martin Cullen to be re-appointed as Minister of Transport before they can start. He would have to turn the sod as usual.
    We got a notice stuck up in our office in the IFSC to say work was starting on in Mid-June to Mayor Street. Looks to be very inconvenient for all those in my company who wish to use the Mayor Street exit from the shared underground car park of IFSC House/AIB International Centre/La Touche House.
    If these people exit the car park via the quays, there is no right turn from this exit, so they have to go left, and go around in a circle:D
    I cycle so I don't care:)
    By the way, the contractors over on Sir Rogersons quay (I believe it was) manged to knock off the electricity to IFSC House over the past year or two, for some reason the electricity into IFSC House comes from the SOUTH side:confused: At least we can''t have our electricity knocked off for any work on Mayor street now with the Luas!:)

At least we can''t have our electricity knocked off for any work on Mayor street now with the Luas!:)
    Just your telecoms!

13/6/2007 Closure of George's Dock Bridge on Mayor Street in Dublin

From 10am 13th June, George's Dock Bridge on Mayor Street will be closed to all vehicles until 24th August.

All pedestrian movements will be maintained across the bridge.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/rail/story.asp?id=3728

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Slice wrote:
    On a slightly different topic - have they started on the Cherrywood extension to the green line? There appears to be alot of construction going on around Leopardstown roundabout and roads in that area
    There is an interesting article by Frank McDonald in todays Irish Times about the extension towards Bray which avoids Bray's residential area in favour of the quiet area of Fassaroe.
    Link (if you are an ireland.com subscriber): http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/0625/1181771798335.html

Advertisement