Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Hands documentary series

Options
  • 02-05-2007 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Has anyone any idea where I might get my hands on this documentary series?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I heard this on fix it friday one week with Ray D'arccy on Today Fm and apparently you can loan it form your library and if yours doesn't have it you can get a loan from any library in the country. I'm not sure if RTE plan to release it they should because i love watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 1170

RTEs response "Unfortunately you can not purchase the hands DVD series at the moment, and unfortunately there are no plans to release it on DVD, at least not with RTÉ."

Also tried the library, they have it in the reference section and will not allow it to be taken out - even on short loan!

Purplegeko did you by any chance hear which libraries actually do loan this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Ray D'arcy said you can ask your library to do a check if not try checking borrowbooks.ie it will give you a list of places you can borrow any book from i used it at college its quick and easy. Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unav

I spent a bit of time looking for this series on DVD, and finally found this website.

Because they currently get the DVDs printed in very small batches, the price is very high (€49.99 per DVD). They are attempting to make up a bigger order as a way of bringing down the price.

It appears that there is also a book to go with the series. It is called "Traditional Crafts of Ireland" by David Shaw-Smith and Sally Shaw-Smith (illustrations), and the new edition was published in 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jongjang

Hi there-

I came across this thread by someone seeking the 'Hands' films on traditional Irish crafts (as shown on RTE television). I know it's several years old...but just in case you were still looking for the films- the full series of 37 documentaries is available on DVD. Go to www.traditionalcraftsofireland.com where there are contact details to receive the catalogue. Hope this is useful.

Yours Daniel Shaw-Smith

Hi-

by the way-

the price of the DVDs has come down-

thanks

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Jongjang wrote: »

Is that linkworking for anyone?

Hi-

this is the correct link for the book 'Traditional Crafts of Ireland'

and the full series of 'Hands' films on DVD.

http://www.accony.co.uk/itc/index.htm

Please find contact details there to order the catalogue and price list.

Yours

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I used to hate it when it was on at the time but absolutely love it now :confused:.

Nostalgia perhaps. Its a pity they dont make a new series although I suppose most of the hand crafts have been lost to this generation unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Just discovered Hands is on RTE Sundays at 13:20, Have it Sky+ series link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

Lads none of the links work.... I would love to get my hands on the dvds as a pressie for somebody. Any help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dushflan

I got this from someone in RTE - I got the brochure last December but it was very pricy, have the prices reduced much?

The series was made well over twenty years ago and is still popular whenever we repeat it. You can obtain copies from the producer of the series, David Shaw Smith. He is located near Claremorris, Co. Mayo. His contact details are as follows:
    Tel. 01-094 93 60370
    e.mail: shawsmith@eircom.net
    web: www.irelandstraditionalcrafts.com

I just spoke with the lady in Mayo and she told me that there is a new dvd boxset being compiled at the moment and she is taking peoples names & numbers to ring back when she gets a price. There are 37 dvds currently and they are €25 each but she has requested the boxset now because the demand is so high for it and it will work out cheaper (will have everything on 10 dvds in the boxset).

The series was made well over twenty years ago and is still popular whenever we repeat it. You can obtain copies from the producer of the series, David Shaw Smith. He is located near Claremorris, Co. Mayo. His contact details are as follows:
    Tel. 01-094 93 60370
    e.mail:
    shawsmith@eircom.net
    web: www.irelandstraditionalcrafts.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

This would be a great boxset to have, did that women ring you back with a price for the boxset?
    My dad would love this for Xmas

HB

I e-mailed her last week and she was still waiting on a price herself. She said she'll let me know as soon as she hears and is aware that I want to get it for X-mas. I'd say it'll be at least €150 or even more!!! I will put up the price on this thread when I hear from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fourfiveone

The cobblestones in Trinity was the best episode. Started watching one about 18 months ago to wind up the Mrs but have been hooked since. Love the ones like the silversmiths where the Dub who sounds like he's the bastard son of auld Mr Brennan narrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Started watching one about 18 months ago to wind up the Mrs but have been hooked since.

Haha, I do that too but I love the show. Shes like "ah c'mon, are you serious..I wanna watch The Hills"

Hi,

I was in contact with Sally Shaw again and she was suppose to receive a copy of the boxset herself yesterday and will let me know during the week if everythin is ok with it & if it will be available for X-mas. She said it will be €150 - I was thinking it would be around that price alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Just go this on email :-) Finally .

Thank-you for your previous enquiry regarding the ‘Hands’ series of 37 films on traditional Irish crafts as shown on RTE television. These are still available individually for €25 each. The complete set with a free copy of the accompanying book- ‘Traditional Crafts of Ireland’ costs €750.00. The book can be purchased individually also for €35. We are now pleased to announce that the 37 films are now also available as a box set of 14 region free discs for €150. If you think you might be interested please reply to this e-mail or alternatively call -
    00353 (0) 94 93 60370.
    Thank-you
    Yours Sally Shaw-Smith 'Hands'

• Advertisement

€150 still seems pricey to me, considering the Westwing 7 season series is available for €69 and they have to pay royalties to writers and actors. I think I'll keep recording it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

yea the pricing is off the scale. seems rediculous and there sno way I'd buy at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

What does she mean by region free discs? Why are they only 150 and the dvds are 750?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 accony

frecklier wrote: »
    What does she mean by region free discs? Why are they only 150 and the dvds are 750?

Just got my boxed set!!:p:p:p

Region free means they can be played worldwide.

Cost is consistent with the quantities ordered. If The Hands series had the same appeal as the Westwing[??], no doubt Hands boxed sets would be a similar price. Plus quality of program content always costs more:D:D

Boxed sets inc. all 37 films on 14 DVDs and P&P to Republic.
    Individual DVDs are 25 Euros each. Not everybody wants all 37 separate disks, perhaps lending library's etc do??
    Also bear in mind prices in Ireland for getting this stuff marketed are always high. Given more time no doubt the price could have perhaps been a bit lower.

Full info in following link

http://www.irelandstraditionalcrafts.ie/boxed%20sets.htm

I would appreciate if somebody could answer the following questions.

Are the discs DVDs or DVD-Rs?

Are there any booklets or inlays?

Does the book come with the set?
    Answer to your questions 'nlgbbbblth'-

All the films are on DVDs. There are currently no booklets or inlays, though there may be in the future.

The book is free when the entire set is purchased on individual DVDs for €750. Otherwise the book is extra at €35. Hope this useful. Any other queries, or to order e-mail- sallyshawsmith@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bittermusicman

Hi everyone,
    Quick question.... I remember seeing a show on RTE years ago which was either a Hands episode or something else.....BUT.... It went through all the stages on making poitin... Just wondering is that part of the Hands series because if it is its not advertised in the catalouges....

Also If it isn't, does anyone know how to make it;)

All the best
    Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Hi everyone,
    Quick question.... I remember seeing a show on RTE years ago which was either a Hands episode or something else.....BUT.... It went through all the stages on making poitin... Just wondering is that part of the Hands series because if it is its not advertised in the catalouges....

Also If it isn't, does anyone know how to make it;)

All the best
    Barry
    you might be thinking of the irish language film "poitin"
    tg4 show it fairly regularly, it was on last saturday

subway wrote: »
    you might be thinking of the irish language film "poitin"
    tg4 show it fairly regularly, it was on last saturday

No Ive seen that. This was a documentary, half an hour long... Two ould lads in the middle of the sticks... I remember it well because they had to soak it in the local river for like, three days or something. It was fabulous...

Im pretty sure that it was on the hands series. I noticed on the listing there is a very subjective title called "Fermanagh Country" Where there are many skills listed... Maybe they can't advertise it because poiten making is illegal

Bittermusicman-

there is no film concerning Poitin in the 'Hands' series. I tried to find out stuff about brewing the spirit but didn't get far. The link-

[Removed]

takes one to a forum where they discuss brewing it and other spirits. You may have some luck there. It can be pretty lethal stuff- especially if you're making it for the first time. My advice is to find an expert to talk you through it- find out the pitfalls and handy tips. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered brewing it myself, but find a reliable source somewhere down the country. The good stuff is amazing- tastes a little like whisky- and can send you to the moon!

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Grand Job,

It must have been some other documentary i saw on it so... At least i know now anyway. Cheers for the link. I agree totally that talking to someone how has done it before is the best way of going about it... safer too no doubt.

Cheers for the help and i'll let you know if i go into orbit :-)

All the best
    Bitter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement