Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne & Barry Books

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bitz n Pieces

Yes I read the books with Rira, Neili, Lulu & Mici. I can't find the name of the books. They came in to being when I was in around 2nd class. Do you remember those Christmas books as gaeilge every year, and you had to pay like £5.00 for them, a savage amount of money at the time. They had stories and wordsearches in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I do remember Anne and Barry, they were so much better than Peter and Jane, prolly cause the art was more child-friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Seems there was a shocking amount of such outfits operating in the late 70s early 80s. We had Sean and Maura for instance - and their dog was Rusty.
    This is Sean.
    This is Maura.
    This is Sean and Maura.
    This is Sean and Maura and Rusty.
    Sean is happy.
    Maura is happy.
    Sean and Maura are happy.
    Rusty is hungry.

Ah- yes this merits a re-read when I get home. Collector's item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Anne And Barry !! F***ing Ledgend !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

farohar wrote: »
    Ah yes, remember these, might even still have them up in the attic, think my younger siblings might have used them too.
    What was the Irish equivalent, think it had a fox as one one of the two main characters?

We had Anne & Barry for english classes, man they were exciting stories.

Seal ag Leamh was the irish version for us - it featured the exciting lives of Pol agus Niamh and their dog Ludo. Niamh and Ann would've made great penpals for each other, they both spent most of their lives "sa cistin lena mhammai".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

2255732030_4a4ec2d15d.jpg
    2254933409_9ce9ed78a8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

We have Ann and Barry books in our college library! was only laughing at them the other day and brought one home to show my brother a while back.

Had Tara and Ben myself but my brother had Ann and Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Hi Folks,

Looks like this post has not been touched in a while but hoefully somebody will be able to help us.
    We are getting married next year and are both called Anne and Barry. I was hoping to find some good anne and barry book pictures to use for invitations for some of our friends, those who would appreciate it.

Anyone know where i can find copies of the books or anyone know of anywhere on the net besides the pictures above. Even if you have a book at home to send it on or scan it in and post we would appreciate it.

Thanks
    B~

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

topper75 wrote: »
    Seems there was a shocking amount of such outfits operating in the late 70s early 80s. We had Sean and Maura for instance - and their dog was Rusty.

I clearly remember these, even what Maura was wearing and her Philomena Begley hairdo. They had a red ball that got stuck in the roof gutter. There was one called 'Bran' an Irish reader about a black poodle I think. Also 'Trouble in the mountains', 'Deirdre' and 'The Secret Place'.These were all from the Hopscotch reader range.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Ann22 wrote: »
    I clearly remember these, even what Maura was wearing and her Philomena Begley hairdo. They had a red ball that got stuck in the roof gutter. There was one called 'Bran' an Irish reader about a black poodle I think. Also 'Trouble in the mountains', 'Deirdre' and 'The Secret Place'.These were all from the Hopscotch reader range.

I don't remember the Secret Place, but I vividly remember Dierdre (with the blood on the snow) and Trouble in the Mountains. Anyone remember those magazines they used to give out? There was Sugradh and Siamsa and another one I think might have been called Sonas. Or is it the drugs interfering with my memory again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I remember 'Sugradh', and 'Siamsa'. think 'Sonas' came later. Irish Christmas annuals with puzzles and stuff.We had to bring in money I think for those. I can remember them being handed out but I never got one:(. I was a forgetful child, prob never asked my mammy.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I remember 'Sugradh', and 'Siamsa'. think 'Sonas' came later. Irish Christmas annuals with puzzles and stuff.We had to bring in money I think for those. I can remember them being handed out but I never got one:(. I was a forgetful child, prob never asked my mammy.:o

I remember those! They were about £2 or so! I only got one or two because I forgot the money too. I think they had a different name every year!

There was also a Junior Súgradh for junior and senior infants. Then I think the others were as follows - Súgradh was issued for first and second classes, Siamsa for third and fourth and then Sonas for fifth and sixth.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I'd love to see a copy of one of them again. And maybe the Our Boys as well, although there's something creepy about the Christian Brothers referring to their students as "our boys"...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Advertisement