Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anne & Barry Books

Options
  • 29-04-2007 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I guess we all remember these books eh? "Anne and Barry are going to the Shops", "Anne and Barry are playing with their Dog", etc. I got roped in by a neighbour into becoming Barry for a projector slide reel we used to use in Primary School, and my next door neighbour was Anne, sort of like a real life Anne and Barry have a picnic sort of thing.

Scarred I tells ya, I'm scarred! I can't find anything on the net about the books though, anyone else care to step up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

And "Ann is helping mammy as Barry helps Daddy" and "Anne is in the kitchen" (subtext: where she belongs?)

There are a few scans floating around the 'Net with 'Shopped text.
    But,otherwise, the books are damn near impossible to obtain.

I got roped in by a neighbour into becoming Barry for a projector slide reel we used to use in Primary School, and my next door neighbour was Anne, sort of like a real life Anne and Barry have a picnic sort of thing.
    Details, please! Or a copy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Karoma wrote:
    Details, please! Or a copy:)

The only copy I know to exist is still on a projector reel in Beaumont Girls' School in Cork City, it could still be used for all I know, I must try to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm sure my Mam knows where they can be located, as she is a primary school teacher. I'll find out but probably be difficult enough I'd imagine. Anne and her jam on toast! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The brown strangely-shaped shoes and thick white knee socks they wore perturbed me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

We used to have a load of those books, but I don't think they survived the attic conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

ned78 wrote:
    The only copy I know to exist is still on a projector reel in Beaumont Girls' School in Cork City, it could still be used for all I know, I must try to find out.

You're kidding. When was this?? Before my time probably, Ann and Barry became obsolete when I was in senior infants :( They still appeared in the maths book though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

?action=view&current=ab1small.jpg
    ?action=view&current=ab2small.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

That was a great laugh. The lads here think i'm mad as they've never heard of Anne and Barry. My mother kept all my school books (a savage hoarder) and i know i've a copy of 'on the farm' another Anne and Barry book! Have no recollection of them being in a maths book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hornerlisa

ah guys those were the days!! i love barry and ann books never forget them, after each year we had to hand our books back to the teacher so we couldnt keep them:mad: i hav been looking on the internet now for quite sometime now and just cant seem to my hands on these books. so if anybody out there can help me relive my childhood and read them to my own kids, PLEASE HELP!!! I am willing to pay for them! thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Ah yes, remember these, might even still have them up in the attic, think my younger siblings might have used them too.
    What was the Irish equivalent, think it had a fox as one one of the two main characters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Archeron

Was it just me or Anne and Barrys father look exactly like Ryan Tubridy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hornerlisa

farohar wrote: »
    Ah yes, remember these, might even still have them up in the attic, think my younger siblings might have used them too.
    What was the Irish equivalent, think it had a fox as one one of the two main characters?
    hey if u still have the books wub it be possible to purchase them from you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

http://photos13.flickr.com/14787431_af48eb591b.jpg

Probably all seen before but still funny.

14787431_af48eb591b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i feel a bit deprived in a way, in our school we had Kevin and Tara instead of Ann and Barry, nobody else outside of Limerick seems to have had Kevin and Tara readers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

i feel a bit deprived in a way, in our school we had Kevin and Tara instead of Ann and Barry, nobody else outside of Limerick seems to have had Kevin and Tara readers

I had Tara and Ben readers. Goodtiems:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

Tara and Ben all the way :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Who were the kids in the school reader whose father got framed for sheep stealing? Turned out someone was transporting the stolen sheep in an ambulance because the cops would never search it. I think the book was called Trouble in the Mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I always remember Barry liked jam !!!!

Funny books now that you think of it.

Barry plays with lorry's abd Ann played with dolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

farohar wrote: »

I can't remember the titles of the books but the characters were Mici the monkey, RiRa the fox, Lulu was a pig.... and I think it was Neli the elephant. (I can't be bothered finding out how to do fadas)

Ann and Barry at the Zoo taught me how to read *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Disco na mBo was a big let down after Anne & Barry I tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

:lol: those books were so cute. I think I still have them in my attic somewhere as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm sure mine are still at home somewhere. I also have some other Irish ones with Nelly (elephant), Mici (monkey), Rira (fox) and Lulu (pig). :) Might scan a page or two later.

I never got to read the Ann and Barry books. I was considered a "gifted child" so was given a book called "Stepping Stones" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

the dee wrote: »
    I can't remember the titles of the books but the characters were Mici the monkey, RiRa the fox, Lulu was a pig.... and I think it was Neli the elephant. (I can't be bothered finding out how to do fadas)

???? Are you sure you don't mean Micí Madra, Ciara Cáit, Áine Asal, Pól Péist? It was part of the Dioscó na mBó series that also had 'Ispiní agus Subh' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Anyone remember Tom and Nora?We had them in baby infants around 1979,80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

???? Are you sure you don't mean Micí Madra, Ciara Cáit, Áine Asal, Pól Péist? It was part of the Dioscó na mBó series that also had 'Ispiní agus Subh' :D

Pretty sure. This would have been in Dublin, late 80's / early 90's. Isn't a piest a worm? Creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Diarmuid an Draguin (sp?) as well? Or was that something else?

As for Tara and Ben, didn't they take over when Ann and Barry were ditched? And there were Emma and Joe as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think you're right, I remember my younger brother had those books, they were possibly from the early 90s.

off topic - ispini agus subh - who the hell eats sausages and jam?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think you're right, I remember my younger brother had those books, they were possibly from the early 90s.

off topic - ispini agus subh - who the hell eats sausages and jam?!

yeah thats the books we had around 91/92.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

hornerlisa wrote: »
    hey if u still have the books wub it be possible to purchase them from you??

I'd need to find them among all the piles of old books that are up there so who knows when I'd have time to even check.
    the dee wrote: »

Rira the fox certainly sounds right.

Advertisement