Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Safety Ad

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The Mrs was talking about it last night, said it was pretty shocking. Any links to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

MarkR wrote:
    The Mrs was talking about it last night, said it was pretty shocking. Any links to it?
    Here we go-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ8oCq8hXps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

OMG!

EVERYONE know that the car of choice in Cork is Toyota where as it's Honda in Dublin, EVERYONE.

I'm going to complain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its obvious its a stolen car, as the front plate is from Northern Ireland and the back is from Cork.
    untitledxe7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently speeders in Germany are shown videos of real life car accidents, and a sizeable number were supposedly filmed in Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sorry is it only me but the judge doesnt say he was speeding the guy overtakes on a broken white line (perfectly legal ?) dog runs out he crashes surely the dog owner is at fault the speed may or may not be an issue - or am i been pedantic ?
    the seat belt one was the same when the ambulance guy says it was the guy without the seatbelt did the damage actually it was the bmw driver on the wrong side of the road. this hapens all the time on my road blind crest solid white line and soeones coming the other way over the line at 50mph if i was doing 5mph it wouldnt save me!
    the accidents are way too complicated
    the best ones were the texting one and the one where they guy is trying to impress his girlfriend loses it and goes sideways into a tree kills gf simple but effective (i thought)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Surely he should have run over the dog instead of swerving around it? As principal, I don't swerve away from anything but a horse/cow.

Rovi wrote:

What's with the old man looking like he's getting off on watching the crash? :)

I don't like it. It puts all the blame on "speed" when it's clear the guy should not have swerved to avoid the dog. In fact the guy probably would have avoided hitting the animal if he braked instead. It also wasn't clear to me how the car being overtaken managed to end up in a head on collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that's what you get for shifting girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Linford wrote:
    None of these ads have ever had the same affect on me as one I saw in Australia. Guy driving home from a bbq with his son after having a few beers, all nice a cheary until they take a left at a T junction (without looking properly) and are ploughed into by a truck going about 100km/h.

Is that the ad which ends with a couple of neighbours chatting 'across the fence' and the cops pull up to tell the family whas just happened?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Was just reading this online and thought it'd be rather more effective:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1711901.ece

"Richard Brunstrom, the controversial police chief, flourished a horrific photograph of a decapitated motorcyclist yesterday in a deliberate ploy to shock his audience at a road safety presentation."

and

"....the photograph of the man’s head with his eyes still open and still encased in a red and white helmet lying on a grass verge.

Another showed the man’s torso embedded in the wreckage of a car. "

On a side note, should we not have some of these in Eastern European
    languages or with subtitles as often when I'm reading accounts of
    road deaths there seems to be a high percentage involving foreign nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Very, very powerful ad. I hope it has the desired effect. There are too many young people in graves and wheelchairs.
    I'm a hospital worker and I've seen macabre scenes as a result of car crashes - and they're the victims that survive. I've become a very careful driver as a result.
    It will be interesting to see if there will be a drop in road deaths as a result of this ad (it's wishful thinking to hope they will be reduced to zero).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

kelle wrote:
    Very, very powerful ad. I hope it has the desired effect. There are too many young people in graves and wheelchairs.
    I'm a hospital worker and I've seen macabre scenes as a result of car crashes - and they're the victims that survive. I've become a very careful driver as a result.
    It will be interesting to see if there will be a drop in road deaths as a result of this ad (it's wishful thinking to hope they will be reduced to zero).

hi kelle, i agree with this 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

They should do what police in Australia do The police push the crashed cars to the side of the road and leave them there to show what happens when you speed

I guess getting everyone to slam on the brakes and have a good gawk is one way to stop people from speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Its a shi-te add, as if you`d cut in front of a car because a dog suddenly appeared, it`d be natural and common sense to stand on the brakes or just keep it straight and hit the dog. Its more propaghanda as far as im concerned. Typical stereotyping of young people. Anyone notice the amount of really old aged people getting themselves killed this year, between as drivers and as pedestrins crossing the road. Free glasses should be supplied to the over 60`s and that`d nearly half this years deaths for starters. You wont see an add for them though.

the roads in this country are a disgrace, main roads the likes of regional roads. I know most of ye are based in Dublin, and used to driving slowly on good street roads but when you drive down the country you`d see how crap the roads are, potholes like craters all over the middle of the roads and roads left until they`re in a complete state before being repaired. The roads are nearly left unmaintained to the point where until locals have to start complaining to the councils to fix them. Then someone hits bad potholes at night and crash and die and what do we get, fookin crap propaghanda adds whinging about young drivers.

I wish they`d change the fookin record. I seen some programme the other night on TnaG, they said 200people were killed on DOnegal roads in the past 11years, thats just under 20 a year. Its hardly a major crisis, is it? I dont like to hear of anyone being killed naturally, but 20people a year in a big county with dodgy roads and not all of them 20 people are drivers so its hardly that bad. Its all a propaghanda racket to justify laughable private speed tax revenue collectors.

I think ill emigrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Nuttzy wrote:
    Its a shi-te add, as if you`d cut in front of a car because a dog suddenly appeared, it`d be natural and common sense to stand on the brakes or just keep it straight and hit the dog. Its more propaghanda as far as im concerned. Typical stereotyping of young people. Anyone notice the amount of really old aged people getting themselves killed this year, between as drivers and as pedestrins crossing the road. Free glasses should be supplied to the over 60`s and that`d nearly half this years deaths for starters. You wont see an add for them though.

the roads in this country are a disgrace, main roads the likes of regional roads. I know most of ye are based in Dublin, and used to driving slowly on good street roads but when you drive down the country you`d see how crap the roads are, potholes like craters all over the middle of the roads and roads left until they`re in a complete state before being repaired. The roads are nearly left unmaintained to the point where until locals have to start complaining to the councils to fix them. Then someone hits bad potholes at night and crash and die and what do we get, fookin crap propaghanda adds whinging about young drivers.

I wish they`d change the fookin record. I seen some programme the other night on TnaG, they said 200people were killed on DOnegal roads in the past 11years, thats just under 20 a year. Its hardly a major crisis, is it? I dont like to hear of anyone being killed naturally, but 20people a year in a big county with dodgy roads and not all of them 20 people are drivers so its hardly that bad. Its all a propaghanda racket to justify laughable private speed tax revenue collectors.

I think ill emigrate!

Slan........

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nuttzy wrote:
    Do you have any breakdown of the stats you are referring to?
    Nuttzy wrote:
    I think ill emigrate!
    Will anyone else take you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kbannon wrote:
    Do you have any breakdown of the stats you are referring to?

www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyres/EBF39D64-7550-46AF-89C1-A8C31B3FE7D8/0/CountyDonegalRoadSafetyPlanEng.pdf

Fatalities 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005
    Donegal 26 27 18 14 17 23 30 28

3% of accidents fatal

three highest accident type head on, single vehicle, pedestrian.

contributary actions

exceed safe speed (what does that mean ? if your under the speed limit ?)

went wrong side

drove through stop/ yeild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

That ad does more to reflect the dire state of our healthcare system and their inability to save the victims legs due to limited resources, rather than highlight our supposed wreckless young drivers in this country. Are you sure that wasnt a smear campaign ad from Fine Gael. "Vote Fine Fail and you lose your legs!"
    Secondly, that dog should not have been left unacompanied. You didnt see the owner being fined in the ad, oh no. But yet the driver gets all the blame.
    Dog walkers watch out! You never know when someone is gonna be legally overtaking someone else on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Have seen that done by the Gardai before on the Dundalk bypass before the motorway was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

thats absolutely disgusting cbreeze. just think of how traumatic it could have been for those actors having to pretend to be in situations such as that.
    an unaccompanied dog on the loose. Good God!

Oh my god, will somebody please think of the ... actors? :confused: Okay, that's a new one on me.

It's still a dumb ad. Like showing the revmeter instead of the speedometer: "This is what happens when you over-rev your engine boys". For all we know, he could have been overtaking someone doing 80kph while doing 100kph himself. And like I said previously, swerving violently like that is something you do for Eva Green, not some dog.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What occured to me was that the driver being overtaken would have seen the dog coming out also and should have braked. This would have given the overtaking driver a chance to pull in (albeit taking the dog out). Anyhow, why the civic driver chose to pull into the corolla instead of hit the dog is beyond me (and yes - I know it could easily have been a kid or whatever but it wasn't!)!

An interesting post on the youtube link Rovi put up was that the rev counter was from the Corolla and not the Civic.

The road on which the overtaking manouvre was a long straight road. This kind of road is a prime type of overtaking stretch on our road network. From the ad, are we supposed to not overtake?

What hasn't been mentioned is were any animals hurt in the making of the advert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Load of B***ox if u ask me

Advertisement