Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Skinny me

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thing is, the younger girl didn't really fit into those 00 jeans. She could just about get them on all right, but that doesn't mean she could have spent the rest of the day wearing them. They were still a very tight fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Dudess wrote:
    Thing is, the younger girl didn't really fit into those 00 jeans. She could just about get them on all right, but that doesn't mean she could have spent the rest of the day wearing them. They were still a very tight fit.

I think that I'd have to agree with you on that one. In fact reading through the posts and having a bit of a muse about it, I really don't think she reached size 00 at all.

The reason I say this is due to the fact that I've a very small frame. As I mentioned previously I think I was down to a size 4 to 2 just before I ran the marathon. Even though I was very healthy and eating like there was no tomorrow, I was obviously burning off a massive amount of calories and thus my weight and body fat was very low. My collar bones stuck out way more as did the bones below my collar bones. In comparison to how my body looked she really didn't look like someone who was a size 2.

In a way the program did a dis-service to the healthy eating message as it seemed to say you can starve yourself for a number of weeks and still look great and still fit into size 00. I thought that the Louise Rednapp program was far superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭theKED

I think Katie Spicer really had mental issues with her weight and definetly shouldn't have been picked to do this experiment.
    Even in her pictures she dresses up in heels and sexy lingere, like she was doing a shoot for FHM or Nuts.
    Katie after.bmp

also as previous posters have said Louise wasn't that skinny.
    Louise After.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dragan wrote:
    just because a dress that people claimed was owned by Monroe was a size 16 does not mean she WAS a size 16.
    Dress sizes have decreased over the years. She could well have been a 16 but back then a 16 could have been the same as todays 10.

It makes sense why clothes companies would do this. A person concerned with their weight might subconciously go for a certain brand since they are a size 10 in it. I bet if a woman was shopping and found 2 dresses that were the exact same size & price and one was size 12 and one was size 10 they would go for the 10. All the brands slowly drop sizes and the others are sort of forced into copying them.

I find this with jeans, I have a waist of about 33-34", yet wear 32" jeans with a belt and can even fit into some 30" jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

very true... in fact the more expensive the label, the more generous the size :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

very true... in fact the more expensive the label, the more generous the size :rolleyes:

And GAP (the brand I think she was trying on) are VERY generous.
    The sizes go down in smaller increments as you go towards size 0.
    http://www.gap.com/customerService/info.do?cid=2314
    I don't know if that is the same for all brands?

I'd like to see her get into a Zara '00' if there was such a size!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Hmm, that Gap chart you posted lies as well, I have a pair of size 6 Gap trousers that fit perfectly and my waist is nowhere near 27 inches ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thought the programme was quite pointless tbh. What was it trying to prove? That crash diets and yo-yo dieting is bad for you? Doesn't everybody know that already?

I just felt that the show gave people with eating disorders new ways and tips into losing weight.

The girl that actually managed to stay the course (without going mental) mentioned some websites that encouraged people with Anorexia to continue starving themselves (kinda like Boards.ie but without the Boards Beers.....like seriously, do you realise how fattening beer is??) so I thought I'd do a quick Google as I was slightly shocked that something like that actually existed. And there were plenty of sites encouraging Anorexia. Most of the sites actually gave members notice of when the show was being aired so that it could be watched and tips taken from it. No mention was made on these that any of the practices were detrimental to one's health. Shocking stuff really.
    missfrilly wrote:
    I do however feel its about time we saw more of a variety of shapes and sizes in these fashion magazines we insist on buying.
    That's the thing though, women complain about the pressures that these magazines put on them but yet they're the very ones that continue to buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

"Pro-Ana" sites are really quite distressing to read.

There was a documentary on Channel 4 several months ago following the lives of a few young women (15, 17 and 18 I think) during the summer.

The youngest was in the midst of losing weight seemingly unbeknownst(sp?) to her parents and even became a "thinspiration" on one of the sites.

The 17 year old had recently returned from rehab and was trying to get her life back to normal amnd the 18 year old had made friends with the owner of of one of the sites and were planning their "diet" together.

It really was shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

BaZmO* wrote:
    I just felt that the show gave people with eating disorders new ways and tips into losing weight.

Completely agree with you. It had already been reported that the Louise Redknapp one backfired as it was ecstatically received as "thinspirational" by pro-ana communities. There was one before that on BBC3 or 4 - again featuring a young journalist. Now this one. As I already said, why so many if it's so dangerous? Are there as many Supersize Me documentaries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Having lived out of the country when this original documentary was aired, I had no idea what this documentary was about until I tuned in to watch the re-run tonight, half expecting a mock-umentary of the Supersize me film.

While I am appalled by the idea of being anorexic, bulemic or having some other kind of eating disorder, and whilest I saw the suffering-the mental and physical suffering that they were enduring, I couldn't but help notice that I'd shoved away the chocolate biscuit that I was dipping into my tea...

I have known girls whom I went to school or university with who had eating disorders, I have seen them literally waste away, I have seen them lose their concentration, lose sight of what they are doing, and I have also lost them along the way as a friend. I have always loved my food, and could never understand why someone would do something like that...but when I saw a girl who went from a size 12 to fit into a size 00 pair of jeans, part of me thought, in spite of myself-hey, that looks good...and I started to feel a bit **** about myself.

Then I'd a bit of a reality check.

But was I the only one??

Maybe it's just a girly thing, maybe not, maybe it has been socially battered into our skulls-skinny is good, I don't know, but I did feel like it glamourised it-yes it did show the bad effects of dieting, but not enough as previous posters have already stated.

While I feel that yes it was a good thing to have on-that it addressses the issue-there could have been a more balanced analysis at times- ie she lost 7lbs, which could mean that her bone density has decreased etc etc. But it is relevant to the society that we live in today-half the world is starving dying to eat, the other half is starving themselves while food is just wasted or vomited back up.

Also the add at the end about going to the website and checking out information on diets...a little bit unnecessary..

In spite of all this, in spite of the fact that I know it's stupid (I'm a size 8, and happy with my size, (I'll also add that I'm roughly 5"0, and my bmi is in the healthy zone) could be more toned, but that's not weight, that's just me being a lazy arse:rolleyes:)I do know that tomorrow that I will go for a long walk and have a salad for lunch... however hopefully tomorrow evening, I'll have a bottle of red wine and a packet of biscuits.

I just hope that I'm not the only one who felt slightly akward with themselves after watching this programme, and not the only one who questioned whether I am right to think this skinny culture is a load of bollix, and was (am..?) tempted by its' lure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rosy-bee

Hi there, I just watched the re-run of this show last night aswell...

I think that the two women in it probably thought they should be outraged by the whole extreme dieting thing - and they wanted to act that way outwardly - but they were so obviously delighted when they started losing weight. Wandering star I know what you mean, it could make you feel like you should lose some weight but no sane person would put themselves through that - there are easier and healthier ways to do it!!!

What really disturbed me was when they talked about pro-ana sites - I was working on my laptop at the time so went on to one for a look. They were all on there talking about the program as it was on - laughing at the way the presenter said the two women were 'a healthy size 12' to begin with - but obviously watching the program to either get tips or compare notes and so on.

So really who is the program supposed to have helped? People who are already anorexic just used it to get tips, and people who aren't would never go to those extremes anyway... Really the only two who benefited from it were the two women who were involved, seen as they were both so delighted to lose all that weight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I watched this for the first time last night too. Shocking stuff..why would anyone do this to themself and why would you let anyone you know do this to themselves. crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Seeing the pics posted earlier in this thread, I honestly think they look better with a bit of weight... Theres not much attractive about unnatural skeletal-like features (see Nicole Richie a year ago or so?), and honestly, women should just stop buying magazines featuring skinny wafer-thin models. If there's no demand, the mag will die, and with it, the notion that skinny = perfection. Can't see it happening though. Its all too easy to want a perfect body, and then sit on your arse and whine and not try to improve the one you have, or else eat miniscule amounts of crap food and not work out hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kiaora

I'm naturally slim ish a UK size 8 to 10. Recently I have put on a bit of weight and my weight has been stable for three years at least. Not 100% sure on what exactly is affecting the balance (obviously diet and exercise are the likely culprits). After watching this show I felt like I wanted to go on an extreme diet myself (I know, silly me). I felt like the negatives weren't that bad and the results were great. In 5 weeks I could be a size 00! BUT I thought long and hard about it. Underneath it all I want a different shape (I'm a pear) and a firmer body sans cellulite. The sad thing is that no amount of dieting and exercise will change my shape I will just be a smaller version of. I think this is a trap lots of people fall into. If you can't have a perfect shape then at least be skinny and then your shape isn't as obvious. I thought the young one had a good shape naturally and looked good the size she was. She looked amazing as a size 00 but maybe she was small boned and correctly shaped to make that work in the first place. Bones do not shrink so if your skeleton or frame is a certain size then that is your limit. Anyway it still leaves me feeling frustrated. I want the gap at the top of the thighs but my shape I don't think will ever allow it unless I become very underweight. This show makes it a tempting thought as they make it seem so easy.

Advertisement