Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How often do you exceed the speed limit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,097 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Volvoboy wrote:
    I doubt your willing to put the boot down in your barge, floor it and watch your petrol gauge take a dive :D

Eh? There's nothing like putting the foot down in a lazy V8 petrol limousine :)

No matter how much fuel I have managed to use, depending on my driving style, I'll at least get it back via my expense claim

My car owes my nothing at this stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

unkel wrote:
    Eh? There's nothing like putting the foot down in a lazy V8 petrol limousine :)

No matter how much fuel I have managed to use, depending on my driving style, I'll at least get it back via my expense claim

My car owes my nothing at this stage :D

Fair play, always rembered years ago my dad had a 89 520i auto, whenever you went around a corner you'd see the needle going down:D , car drank as much as my dad!:D

-VB-

were you bursting to pee or just acting the eejit?

I was not bursting to pee. I was not acting the eejit. Perhaps you should have a go at driving in other countries in Europe to get a bit more experience of how things work in countries where people know how to drive
    doing 200 easily and i've always thought to myself "wanker".

Again a bit of a small island mentality. Go anywhere in the rest of Europe and learn :D;) Fast lane in the learning process literally is in Germany or if you prefer the punishment way, in Italy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Suppose I'd speed a fair bit. Do most of my driving on the dual carriageway from Loughlinstown into Dublin. You won't see anybody doing the speed limit along there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

unkel wrote:
    I was not bursting to pee. I was not acting the eejit. Perhaps you should have a go at driving in other countries in Europe to get a bit more experience of how things work in countries where people know how to drive

Again a bit of a small island mentality. Go anywhere in the rest of Europe and learn :D;) Fast lane in the learning process literally is in Germany or if you prefer the punishment way, in Italy :D

so by not driving at 200 kph i'm not driving properly? ye wha?

• Advertisement

so by not driving at 200 kph i'm not driving properly? ye wha?

Nah. But by driving over there you might experience that people driving and even overtaking you at 200km/h aren't necessarily **** ;)

Best not to hog the overtaking lane there though, or you will be punished mentally and / or (nearly) physically :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sandwich wrote:
    Driving for 16 years.10000-14000miles/yr.

Can state without exageration that I have not driven a single journey without exceeding the speed limit.
    Unlike Savman I totally agree with you. In 20+ years driving I have always driven to the posted limits. Where is the 0% option in the poll as opposed to 0% to 20%?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭BrianD3

unkel wrote:
    Voted 0-20%. Agree with many posters there ^^^ though

I tend to stick to the speed limit on most roads, with some exceptions like these:

1. I don't stick to the indicated speed, but to the calibrated (GPS) speed plus a small percentage (as in to be on the safe side of being registered by gatsos etc.)

2. When overtaking on single carriageways, I always do so at max throttle, so in many cases (temporarily) exceeding the limit

3. I do the laying off the throttle thing (instead of braking) that peasant mentions

4. I sometimes speed on (near) empty motorways. Today was the first time in several years that I reached 200km/h (very briefly) in this country

I have no penalty points yet...
    I also voted 0-20% and agree with most of the above. Speed when overtaking on single carriageway roads but not at other times. If driving along a decent N road my speedo will sit at around 108 km/h. I don't consider this to be speeding as my true speed is around 100 km/h.

No penalty points here either and have never been pulled for speeding in around 12 years driving doing approx 30,000 miles per year.

I no longer speed on motorways but pre penalty points introduction I often did.

One thing I notice is that I am one of the slowest drivers in 50 and 60 km/h zones but on M-ways when safe to do so I overtake far more cars than overtake me. Conclusion: the majority of drivers speed in urban areas but many don't even reach the 120 km/h limit on M-ways in perfect conditions. We have a lot of the "55 mph everywhere" brigade in this country.

unkel wrote:
    No, I wasn't overtaking. It was on a completely empty bit of motorway southbound on the M1 between Dundalk and Drogheda
    So are you one of those northern tossers who drive with no reagrd for our speed limits, or laws, and pass me at excessive speed every time I drive out my gateway or when I'm on the M1? All mouth, speed and no brains!:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sandwich wrote:

Can state without exageration that I have not driven a single journey without exceeding the speed limit.
    Unlike Savman I totally agree with you. In 20+ years driving I have always driven to the posted limits. Where is the 0% option in the poll as opposed to 0% to 20%?
    So neither of you have ever exceeded a speed limit even by 0.5km/h?

• Advertisement

Considering I keep to the posted limit by reference to my speedometer and they always register below actual speed, then YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

Considering I keep to the posted limit by reference to my speedometer and they always register below actual speed, then YES!

I hope that means you hit the anchors 1/2 a km before each roundabout on a dual carriageway so as not to be doing 51km/h going past the 50k sign!

maidhc wrote:
    I hope that means you hit the anchors 1/2 a km before each roundabout on a dual carriageway so as not to be doing 51km/h going past the 50k sign!
    Can you not see the signs ahead and slow accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

Can you not see the signs ahead and slow accordingly?

The signs are about 1/2km before roundabouts. Its scary to be doing 50km/h then though, as you run the risk of being hit from behind by everyone else who is doing twice your speed. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have definitely started to stick fairly rigidly to posted speed limits. From having just recently passed a driving test (first time, thank holy god and jesus too for my lowered insurance), and gotten a few lessons from a quality instructor, he explains why and it makes you slow down. I drift up to 70mph on dual carraigeways that are 100kmph the odd time if the road is fairly quiet, but this business of hitting 90 on a busy dual carraigeway and zipping past cars at high speed is just dangerous. Most people I have encountered on the roads cant drive very well, cant signal, dont know things as basic as roundabout rules, push in and muscle their way through traffic, etc. I am not a very experienced driver in terms of driving in other countries, but I seriously hope that we would be amongst the worst in the world for driving. You have to develop coping mechanisms, calming techniques and sometimes intraveinous drugs to calm you down with some of the crazy retarded **** that I see people doing every goddamn day of the week. And this isnt learner drivers, its middle aged man in a BMW or middle aged wifie in a chelsea tractor.
    But back to speeding. Anyone doing even 40 or 50mph through a residential area regularly should be getting points and warnings. How often do you see little kids darting out on a road? Or people just moving out without looking? Just stick at the 50kmph speed limit, for **** sake, what does it lose you, 2 minutes through a small town?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the road is straight, dry and somewhat empty I will step on it.
    Will speed probably every time I'm in the car and going between cities.
    Won't speed in town, too many kids, bikes, etc

Caught once, 140 on a 100 road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Lately for the journeys to Dublin (from Cork) I have tried to use the cruise control to keep me at bay. However it is very frustrating when other drivers seem to be very erratic, going from 70km/h to 120km/h on a 100km/h limit. I too have checked my speedo against a GPS speed reading, it seems to read a bit lower than what the GPS says, so I set the CC to the value on the GPS.

Curiously I am more conscious of my speed in the 60km/h than any other limit area. I just have this thing in the back of my head that there are more speed traps in these types of areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

So are you one of those northern tossers who drive with no reagrd for our speed limits, or laws, and pass me at excessive speed every time I drive out my gateway or when I'm on the M1? All mouth, speed and no brains!:eek:
    No different than one of those southern tossers :p
    Or Polish tossers, or Nigerian tossers, or Female tossers, or Van driver tossers etc etc you get the picture. Scathing generalisations do nothing except contribute to an already poor attitude to driving.

It's gas, I drive a van and I'll always let another van pull out and vice versa. You'll see Taxi men doing the same with other taxis, trucks with other trucks and buses with other buses and tbh it's good to see there is still some courtesy left on the road, albeit in a "look after your own" mentality.
    See this is what I mean, I cannot believe you've NEVER went over the speed limit unless your surname is Christ. Or would you be in the "I go the same speed everywhere" gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Sandwich wrote:

kbannon wrote:
    So neither of you have ever exceeded a speed limit even by 0.5km/h?

Dosen't Sandwich mean he has exceeded the speed limit on every single journey? That's what I understand from his statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Other than while overtaking (which I always do as fast as I can) and decelerating into a lower limt (which I might not hit on the spot) I do not consciously speed any more.

On a wide clear, empty, boring road I might occasionally drift over the limit, because I don't watch my speedo all the time ...but I don't speed on purpose.

Speed limits that have a specific reason (towns, schools, black spots) I adhere to strictly and might actually go slower than posted, depending on the conditions.

When younger I used to be quite a speed merchant and whip every available horse for more power in my mostly puney cars.

Two things have changed.

These days all cars (except my Jimny :D ) are so powerful and the setup is so removed from "feeling" the road, that you have to go significantly over the limit to experience any sort of "thrill" or "fun" driving experience.
    And significantly over the limit is just too bloody dangerous, full stop.
    Seenashow 120 km/h is equally as boring as 100 km/h you might as well stick to the limit and save yourself the grief of getting caught.

The other factor is that after years of driving slow campervans, I have realised that you might get there 5 mins later (on a long journey), but usually much more relaxed ...

So there really is no point to speeding ...just points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

el tel wrote:
    Dosen't Sandwich mean he has exceeded the speed limit on every single journey?
    Sandwich wrote:

That's how I'd read it too.

I'm pretty sure I never drive anywhere without breaking a limit of some sort somewhere along the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

ned78 wrote:
    I think I have to be honest and say 80-100% of the time. I'm always doing nearly 110kph in a 100kph zone.
    Same as that, generally stay within 10% of the limit
    oleras wrote:
    Depends on how much i have to drink !! ;)
    LMFAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Most people I have encountered on the roads cant drive very well, cant signal, dont know things as basic as roundabout rules, push in and muscle their way through traffic, etc.
    Sometimes I have to push, muscle and perform acrobatics, not because I have no regard for others but because I have less tolerance for the stubborn gits who won't let you out or sit in the overtaking lane below the limit. If someone comes tearing up behind me, I've no bother about pulling to left lane and letting them pass.
    Take a drive down any National primary road, you'll see an articulated lorry followed usually by 2-3 idiots tailgating, making any safe overtaking virtually impossible. This forces everyone else to overtake 2-3 vehicles at a time which is not something I'm ever comfortable doing, its nothing to do with my engine, it just feels like yer dicing with death.
    First thing I ever read when starting to drive, and took me a while to understand it:
    "if you do not intend to overtake the vehicle in front, then keep well back and allow other vechicles to overtake you"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

el tel wrote:
    Dosen't Sandwich mean he has exceeded the speed limit on every single journey? That's what I understand from his statement.
    Yeah - I see that now. My period is kicking in so Im not thinking right!
    So that means that Srameen is the only angel on here!

Thats true. There is nothing more frustrating than the inconsiderate misguidedly self-righteous drivers sitting on the overtaking lane blocking faster moving traffic from passing.
    I always find myself pulling in quickly to let the speed merchants pass. There are numerous styles of driving on the road and to not accommodate or to forcibly try and get someone around to your way of thinking by blocking them off is just foolish and dangerous. I mean on a motorway I have no problem with someone belting by doing 90 or 100, I certainly wouldnt be using my car to block off theirs. If they want to risk points that's fine too, I would think its pretty unlikely you are going to get caught, and rightly so. We are at much more risk from speeding in low speed limit areas than speeding on a big empty motorway. From the point of view of safe driving, on a quiet motorway I wouldnt worry much about someone passing me on a dedicated overtaking lane regardless of speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I fcuking hate this wanky attitude. People from Northern Ireland are not all tossers. Northern driver are not responsible for all the speeding and bad driving in the South. And besides, when southern drivers go north they speed as well, and this, coupled with the fact that for the most part they also can't fcuking drive, makes them even more dangerous.

MrP

So you hate people with attitudes whereby they are tarring a group of all drivers (say drivers from the north for example) with the same brush?
    Oh and you also hate all southern drivers cos they cant drive?
    Ahahahaha. Good stuff.

Savman wrote:
    Or would you be in the "I go the same speed everywhere" gang?

Most certainly not! I drive to the speed limit posted for the zone I happen to be in. More "scathing generalisations"?? Pots & Kettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

MrPudding wrote:
    I fcuking hate this wanky attitude. People from Northern Ireland are not all tossers. Northern driver are not responsible for all the speeding and bad driving in the South. And besides, when southern drivers go north they speed as well, and this, coupled with the fact that for the most part they also can't fcuking drive, makes them even more dangerous.

MrP

Nice one. And any critics of generalisations should note the use of "for the most part" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

I drive about 1000 km per week. on average i normally tip around at the 120km/hr mark on a 100km/hr zone. So yes i do speed. When its normally 4 in the morning on a dual carriage way i normally push up to a cruising speed of 140km/hr. But i always drive in the conditions, in a town of 50km/hr i will ALWAYS keep to that. If its raining or greasy out i always stick to my 2 second and 4 second rule(unlike many i have encountered over the last few weeks). i also have 0 penalty points.

Advertisement