Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hexosan wrote: »
    If they could they'd leave it longer just like the councils. I've yet to ever see a planning decision be it a refusal or grant given before the due date.

In Dublin we get most decisions before the actual due date. DCC are quite efficient once the 5 week appeal period has expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

I think we could tighten up these time periods for planning applications, particularly at appeal stage.

Angry bird wrote: »
    I think we could tighten up these time periods for planning applications, particularly at appeal stage.

+1

I think if there has been no appeals at the 5 week mark, the LA should aim to give a decision ASAP instead of after the 3 weeks.

I assume the 4 week appeal period between Notification and Final Grant cannot be altered due to the P&D Act, but at least the turn around be quicker from lodgement to decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Boscod

I'm thinking about reducing the length of an very old cottage I own in order to improved access to the back. The house dates from the early 1800's.
    The work would involve the demolition and reconstruction of a gable wall, one metre in from it's current position, thus reducing the current floor area.
    Is planning pemission required to do this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Boscod wrote: »
    I'm thinking about reducing the length of an very old cottage I own in order to improved access to the back. The house dates from the early 1800's.
    The work would involve the demolition and reconstruction of a gable wall, one metre in from it's current position, thus reducing the current floor area.
    Is planning pemission required to do this?

yes
    Speak to a local planner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 marie15

Hi All, I'm new to boards.ie & self building!
    I have preplanning meeting arranged with County Council end of this month. I'm just wondering if anyone has been granted planning permission in a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) its only site we have on our own land and my budget just wont stretch to building & buying a site. TIA

marie15 wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm new to boards.ie & self building!
    I have preplanning meeting arranged with County Council end of this month. I'm just wondering if anyone has been granted planning permission in a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) its only site we have on our own land and my budget just wont stretch to building & buying a site. TIA

You have your work cut out. First is the principle of building on the plot, you will have to a have a very convincing need to build there, use the pre-planning for that. If and I stress if the principle is ok for the Council, they will they require an ecologist to prepare a report on impacts and mitigation measures to be submitted with a planning application, and they do not come cheap. Look up and research the Council policies for such SAC's under their county development plan online and what their requirements are re what you wish to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Keller Bear

With regard to sharing a common boundary with an operating quarry is there a legal limit that said quarry can not move within the shared boundary?

Is has unfortunately happened that a quarry broke rock up to the shared common boundary of a neighbour's agricultural field, this then caused a nice chunk of land to fall in. (Now the cynic in me thinks these guys can read the rock lines and know how it will fall before even acting so they possibly did it knowingly)

I find it hard to believe that a quarry can operate right up to a shared boundary. Could anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.

With regard to sharing a common boundary with an operating quarry is there a legal limit that said quarry can not move within the shared boundary?

Is has unfortunately happened that a quarry broke rock up to the shared common boundary of a neighbour's agricultural field, this then caused a nice chunk of land to fall in. (Now the cynic in me thinks these guys can read the rock lines and know how it will fall before even acting so they possibly did it knowingly)

I find it hard to believe that a quarry can operate right up to a shared boundary. Could anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.
    Sounds like you may well be right, possible breach of planning conditions and civil matter re interfering with neighbour's property. I would advice to submit a written complaint to the planning enforcement section of the Council outlining the urgency of the situation and include photo's if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

We had an appeal lodged with ABP recently and it was rejected ... so we have to go back to the drawing board. Do you know if it's possible to request to view the appeal submissions by the objectors?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    We had an appeal lodged with ABP recently and it was rejected ... so we have to go back to the drawing board. Do you know if it's possible to request to view the appeal submissions by the objectors?

Thanks

so you were you the applicants, and the council refused it, and you appealed, and ABP upheld the refusal

is that correct?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so you were you the applicants, and the council refused it, and you appealed, and ABP upheld the refusal

is that correct?

Yes, exactly!

Should all be online on the Council website under your planning application reference number, or give it a few days if very recent decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Hello all,

Been a long time since I was on here but looking for some advice, it's 8 years to this month since I issued commencement notice for our new build, it's completed over 7 years.

4 weeks ago for the first time I received correspondence from local COCO SEEKING payment of local authority fees in the region of €3.5k this was completely out of the blue and obviously extremely or nearly impossible to budget for.

Any advice on how to handle this situation?

Jollyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Preparing a planning application from change of use of a property from commercial (medical) back to residential.

No changes are being made to the house layout (Or have been while it was a commercial property).

Cork County Council states the following must be included with a planning application. Do all of these apply even if it is only a change of use?

6 No. Copies of Application Form:
    2 No. Copies Site notice:
    2 No. Copies Press Notice:
    6 No. Copies 6” O.S. Maps:
    6 No. Copies 25” O.S. Maps:
    6 No. Copies of 1:500 Scaled Layouts:
    6 No. Copies Plans and Drawings:
    Correct Application Fee:

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Preparing a planning application from change of use of a property from commercial (medical) back to residential.

No changes are being made to the house layout (Or have been while it was a commercial property).

Cork County Council states the following must be included with a planning application. Do all of these apply even if it is only a change of use?

Correct Application Fee:
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Jollyman wrote: »
    Hello all,

Been a long time since I was on here but looking for some advice, it's 8 years to this month since I issued commencement notice for our new build, it's completed over 7 years.

4 weeks ago for the first time I received correspondence from local COCO SEEKING payment of local authority fees in the region of €3.5k this was completely out of the blue and obviously extremely or nearly impossible to budget for.

Any advice on how to handle this situation?

Jollyman

Look up the grant of planning permission you got 8 years ago. What amount does it say on it for contributions?

Did you pay it at the time and if so do you have a receipt?

If your grant of PP said what the contribution was and you didn't pay it there isn't really much you can say/do. You could try arranging to meet someone and explaining your current financial situation to ask for a possible reduction or to spread the payment over a number of increments.

Correct Application Fee:

Yep, don't forget that you have to buy the OS Maps from Ordnance Survey Ireland and also you will have to take a out a notice in a listed newspaper and put up a site notice on site for 5 weeks.

The full rigours of a Planning Application apply here.

kceire wrote: »
    Yep, don't forget that you have to buy the OS Maps from Ordnance Survey Ireland and also you will have to take a out a notice in a listed newspaper and put up a site notice on site for 5 weeks.

The full rigours of a Planning Application apply here.

Ok with all of that :)

Getting the drawings done looks like a very costly part of the application. What would the typical price be? No changes to be made to the house and it is 900 sq. ft.

Ok with all of that :)

Getting the drawings done looks like a very costly part of the application. What would the typical price be? No changes to be made to the house and it is 900 sq. ft.

It depends site to site, you really need to get 3 quotes and compare. Here in Dublin it could cost 5k and more.

Its basically a completely new fresh application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

Hi all,

Going to apply for retention on my utility room/side passage of my house. I live on a corner site with neighbours to one side and a path, road into a cul de sac on my other side. The side passage adjoins said wall. Basically, was a side passage and roof was stuck on and now acts as home to washing machine etc. It's the length of the house so a decent space and priceless really. Dump everything in there, close the door and forget about it.

Anyway, any body on here with planning knowledge care to comment on whether the co co will see this as an issue or should it be straightforward? It doesn't affect any neighbours and is very discreet. Very quiet, settled neighbourhood and would hate to think there'd be a busy body who'd stick their beek in. But we all know they exist.

Hi all,

Going to apply for retention on my utility room/side passage of my house. I live on a corner site with neighbours to one side and a path, road into a cul de sac on my other side. The side passage adjoins said wall. Basically, was a side passage and roof was stuck on and now acts as home to washing machine etc. It's the length of the house so a decent space and priceless really. Dump everything in there, close the door and forget about it.

Anyway, any body on here with planning knowledge care to comment on whether the co co will see this as an issue or should it be straightforward? It doesn't affect any neighbours and is very discreet. Very quiet, settled neighbourhood and would hate to think there'd be a busy body who'd stick their beek in. But we all know they exist.

Answered in your other post in the main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

A friend has a planning issue.

He got an AT to submit a planning application for an extension which was successful. From that he created working drawings and the building was built.

However... A condition of the planning was that a new drawing of the extension roof was to be submitted before construction began. This was not done.

What are the options? Retention is being talked about but he/I don't know anything about it.

A friend has a planning issue.

He got an AT to submit a planning application for an extension which was successful. From that he created working drawings and the building was built.

However... A condition of the planning was that a new drawing of the extension roof was to be submitted before construction began. This was not done.

What are the options? Retention is being talked about but he/I don't know anything about it.

Speak to your local planner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Hi

I am hoping to build a side extension on my end terrace house. Was in contact with planning office about a Pre planning meeting but they said just submit the application as their only concern would be that we were within our boundary in the estate. So I checked the land registry map and only a couple houses in the estate have the red outline done, ours doesn't. We bought in 07. Can anyone tell me what it will cost to get our site registered. Are you talking a couple hundred to a technician or do solicitors need to be involved as well? Totally clueless and just want to be aware of all potential costs involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Double post

Hello

I am waiting on a decision from Cork County Council on change of use of a property from commercial use to residential use.

Once this is granted (Appears there won't by any issue as its a house and in an area zoned residential), does the property automatically change over to residential use or are there other formalities that need to be completed?

Hello

I am waiting on a decision from Cork County Council on change of use of a property from commercial use to residential use.

Once this is granted (Appears there won't by any issue as its a house and in an area zoned residential), does the property automatically change over to residential use or are there other formalities that need to be completed?

coco1981 wrote: »
    Hi

I am hoping to build a side extension on my end terrace house. Was in contact with planning office about a Pre planning meeting but they said just submit the application as their only concern would be that we were within our boundary in the estate. So I checked the land registry map and only a couple houses in the estate have the red outline done, ours doesn't. We bought in 07. Can anyone tell me what it will cost to get our site registered. Are you talking a couple hundred to a technician or do solicitors need to be involved as well? Totally clueless and just want to be aware of all potential costs involved

A Planning Application has got nothing to do with Land Registry etc
    They want to see your site outlined and the guy preparing your planning application will do that.

Where are you based?
    If in Dublin, in an Urban setting, most boundaries are pretty obvious.
    Hello

Process will be something like this :

Notification of Decision to Grant.
    Final Grant of Planning Permission (4 weeks after the Notification).
    You may have to lodge a Commencement Notice and bring the house up to current standards with regards to BER, insulation and renewables. Dealt with one recently here in Dublin that had to follow that process.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes to get a decision after a 'request more information' comes back from planning? Are we generally looking at a weeks or months of a delay? (assuming we provide the information immediately)

Also, with regard to boundaries, the (very old, fuzzy) boundary indicated by the OS Map & Land Registry is different to what is actually on the ground. We've had a topographical survey done and have submitted the plans based on these dimensions (though the property still fits comfortably no matter what boundary we used) - what sort of issues might this cause? There is only council land around the boundary, no neighbours to contend with.

Thanks

Advertisement