Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with LandLord/Head Tenant

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I thought you were a woman from your first post. Tell Pat you need to get the deposit back before cleaning the house as you don't trust him and otherwise you will be forced to contact the revenue. When you get the deposit back, contact the revenue anyway and don't clean the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

You might as well forget about the deposit. This guy sounds like he will find just about any reason not to give it to you. Still clean your room and make the rest of the house look well, but don't count on getting the money back.
    Then on the day you are leaving, if the curtain rails are hollow, get some fresh fish and shove it down the end. It won't smell until about a week after you've left and hopefully got your deposit back... and it'll make you feel better to think about him trying to find where the stench is coming from! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That would be a very childish thing to do. It sounds like something our friend Pat might try if he were a licencee in similar circumstances.

Hard to see what the revenue has to do with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

i think he means that the house may not be registered and so will inform the revenue.

So why should this guy Pat give a damn whether it is registered or not? It's not his house, he's not the guy who ultimately gets the rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Something very similar happened to me a few years back - the head tenant gave me notice to leave while i was in the middle of my exams after I caught her stealing from my room. I went to the landlord about it and he said it was nothing to do with him.

Things spiralled out of control as I tried to assert my "rights" and do everything in my power to leave while still getting my deposit back, etc. and one evening she got really violent and threatened to do some serious damage to me if I came back to the house that evening, and she didn't care who i brought back.

I came back with the guards. Packed up and moved out in under 20 minutes while they kept her in the kitchen away from me.

The next day I phoned the landlord about my deposit to be told I wouldn't be getting it back because I hadn't given sufficient notice (um...it wasnt safe for me to be in the house any longer...and she had given me notice...but anyway...)

I went to the small claims court about it and the day before we were due to go to court, he settled with me and returned my deposit.

Even though I got the money back in the end, I still regret not just cutting my losses and leaving. I underestimated the truly psychotic nature of the head tenant and allowed myself to end up in a very dangerous situation as a result.

Take the advice of the others on here seriously and make sure that your Dad comes to collect you and your stuff, no matter what Pat has said. If, as you say, Pat hasn't shown any of his bullying tendencies while your parents are around, he should hopefully keep it under control long enough for you to get your deposit back and leave.

I realise that just because a similar situation went pear-shaped for me doesn't mean the same thing is going to happen to you. But still I think, why take the chance?

<double post - sorry!>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Sounds like Pat should be castrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Record yourself cleaning the place with a camcorder and also record it as you are trying to get your deposit back. Pat the pratt might not be so brave whne he knows he is on film.

If you are a tennant you are allowed visitors. so nothing he can do can stop your dad coming in.
    Why not even get your dad to collect your stuff for you and say you will be calling up shortly to help . Your dad is the one dealing with the money thing so he can ask the pratt to give him back HIS deposit, not your.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Ok another update!

First off, cheers for everyone for the help and good wishes :D

I moved out, but cleaned the areas of the house I use and also my bedroom... took before and after pics.

Pat wasn't around the day I moved out, so my girlfriends dad helped me move out - he described the place as a 'kip'.

Anyways, Pat informed my dad that the house wasn't cleaned to his standards, and if I claimed otherwise I was lying. Also said that I reflected badly on my folks as parents, and that he'd gladly see us in court.

Showed my folks the pics tonight, and they're shocked by state of place, and have said my cleaning was deffo up to standard... and we'll prob take Pat to Small Claims Court!

CJ

• Advertisement

hi CJ,

I can't believe he said that to your Dad about you reflecting badly on them as parents. You are lucky to be gone from that house.

Good luck with the small claims court. Well done on taking the before and after pics - I think they will stand to you.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Definitively do keep us up to date on what happens.
    Remember it only costs you E15 to make a small claims court claim online.....
    You are lucky to be out of there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

I bet Pat's IQ isn't very high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

DO0GLE wrote:
    I bet Pat's IQ isn't very high!!

He does sound like a moron alright. And a horrible person to boot (up the arse) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

Talk to the landlord. Ask about the deposit...who has it the landlord or Pat? If Pat has it then you may have an even stronger case against him as it is not his and he is essentially stealing from you/the next person who moves in (i assume he will just either get the deposit off the new person and keep it or get yours back from the landlord and keep that).

Make a report with the gardai. They probably wont want to know, but insist on filing a report.

I know you have exams on, I would be careful not to waste too much time thinking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Cleaning not up to his standards, eh? I think we could all see that coming. Good luck in the Small Claims Court. I'd be very surprised indeed if you don't win.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Advertisement