Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

priority when turning right at signal controlled crossroads?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I don't follow totally, If you were first in the quque.. on basically the slip road, you would yield to traffic on your right hand side.

What I don's get is, now this is going from your picture, the traffic lights do not control the slip road, so you should not have been waiting on green at all.. as in there is no traffic lights on the slip road, so you simply yield to traffic turning right onto the road which you wished to turn left onto.. this is going from the picture..

Examples of this in Dublin would be.. if you were turning left into Citywest biz park from the N81, or turning left from the N81, through Tallaght Village, and up onto the Greenhills road.. those would be two examples I think the pic represents.. without knowing the junction itself..

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Blue car has right of way over the red car. Consider that 'slip road' a normal junction where you (red) give way to traffic coming from your right as your turning left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Stekelly wrote:
    NO NONONONONONONONONONONONONO and another one for good measue, NO. Do not listen to this man, unless you want a claim against you

A slip road is basically the same as a non- signall controlled minor road leadign onto a major one. The op was in effect turning left out onto a main road that the guy who turned right at the main junction and is now through the lights is on. He therefore has the right of way.

i'll add another NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kerbdog wrote:
    Blue car has right of way over the red car. Consider that 'slip road' a normal junction where you (red) give way to traffic coming from your right as your turning left.

Dammit this new evidence changes everything.

I thought it was a black car, I dont like blue. Red in the right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 robio

You should read the rules of the road at least once before you kill someone! you're 100% in the wrong here, i'd say you failed to see the big white Yeild sign on the road or else a big solid white line going across the slip road. the lad in the blue car would have had green light and you were merging with the traffic which gives the traffic to the right the right of way.

I cant believe there are idiots who think the red car was in the right!

you should have got that driving instructers phone number and booked a few lessons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

robio wrote:
    you should have got that driving instructers phone number and booked a few lessons

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Traffic to your right always has the right of way. You were incorrect although you are thinking in that frame of mind that the green light means your in the clear. Drivers can make that mistake that the "green light" is the key to all. In fact there are two points to highlight.

1. Drivers must always remember that you never go by a set of lights or signs 100%. Traffic to your right always has the right of way at a junction.

2. That type of junction should not have a green light but an flashing amber light pointing in the direction of the road you are joining. Therefore its an error in the junction's traffic light layout. (most likely in Dublin City Council's baby). That same company are responsable for some awful traffic light managment throughout Dublin. Only this morning on my way to town via drumcondra road. There are 4 sets of lights at major junctions between Clonliffe Road and Gardenier Street. This is the way it way this morning.
    First set red, Second set green, third set red, fourth set green. And vise versa. It took me 5 minutes to get through 4 sets of lights with no traffic this morning. Its pure cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

Oh dear I typed before thinkin again!!!

lol

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

bbability wrote:
    2. That type of junction should not have a green light but an flashing amber light pointing in the direction of the road you are joining. Therefore its an error in the junction's traffic light layout. (most likely in Dublin City Council's baby).

The junction's in Cork. It's on one of the test routes down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

OK, the overwhelming view here is that red was in the wrong, which I understand (yield to traffic coming from right) and accept. Good to know too, as there are a lot of junctions of this type in Cork (once again, no filter arrows, no yield sign, slip road controlled by main signal I believe).

I think blue might have jumped the green light alright, as otherwise I don't see he could have almost completed his turn by the time I was pulling out. But that's irrelevant as I should have yielded anyway.

One strange result of this is that I presume red could turn left with right-of-way if it just stayed in the main lane and didn't bother using the slip lane at all (don't worry, I'm not going to start doing this :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One strange result of this is that I presume red could turn left with right-of-way if it just stayed in the main lane and didn't bother using the slip lane at all (don't worry, I'm not going to start doing this :) ).

Yes that is correct. Though I'm not sure if the lane markings would permit you to stay in the main lane if you were turning left. There could be a marking to say "straight ahead only" or "straight ahead and right only". Although given half the junctions in Cork, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no markings at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

The best example of stupid traffic control was the Crumlin Road / Drimnagh Rd, Kildare Road junction in Crumlin (below). This one used to be ridiculous.

Picture6.png

Traffic coming from the city (right hand side of pic) and going onto St. Mary's Road, and straight through the Kildare Road junction was controlled by a seperate set of lights as traffic staying on Drimnagh Rd. However, this set of lights was linked to, and always gave the same instruction as, the straight ahead lights.

A situation that arose quite often was where traffic coming from Drimnagh (left of pic) and turning right to go to Kildare Rd, would be confronted by cars on St. Mary's Road going straight through the junction without checking because they had a green light. I saw three crashes, including a rear ender where a driver realised his error, slammed on and was shunted by the car behind, over 10 years and only used the junction 2 or 3 times a week.

The St. Mary's Road light has been changed and now flashes amber most of the time. What's really worrying though is that it actually took the city so long to make this simple adjustment.

Advertisement