Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Presumably danjo means that it is a short distance from the airport long term car parks to Bewleys, regardless of where the journey commenced.

No. ;)
    The original post came from Tiesto who states that he lives in Clontarf. Therefore he would go up the Malahide road to get to Bewley's Hotel and car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

It's regularly full seamus. The DAA often divert intending customers to other car parks especially during "office hours". Even when it's not full they still try to divert as many cars as possible as the Red Car Park operates 24 hours and they like to ensure that there is enough capacity for during the night when there is less staff available to cope with any capacity problems. A significant amount of traffic arrives between 3am and 6am.
    Presumably danjo means that it is a short distance from the airport long term car parks to Bewleys, regardless of where the journey commenced.

I presume the Blue car park operates 24 hours a day also? I will be one of those arriving between 3 and 6 am and was intending to head straight for the blue car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Strasser wrote:
    I presume the Blue car park operates 24 hours a day also? I will be one of those arriving between 3 and 6 am and was intending to head straight for the blue car park.
    It should be open unless it's full (although that's highly unlikely). If it does happen to be full, you will be directed accordingly to another.

The Blue car park generally operates during the summer months only.

Just to add more confusion in relation to Long Term Parking - all the zones in the different car parks are assigned an individual letter EXCEPT for zones Y and Z. There are zones Y and Z in both Red and Blue car parks so remember the colour of the car park also and board the correct bus.

Red Car Park - Zones D,E,F,G,H,J,K,Q,R,T,Y,Z.

Green Car Park - L,M,N.

Blue Car Park - U,V,W,X,Y,Z.

Short Term - A,B,C.

QuickPark - Numbered Zones 1 to 78(?)

All returning car park shuttle buses now leave from the first road at the rear of the short term car park - across the road from arrivals and through the central mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Take a taxi...you KNOW it makes sense

Makes financial sense if your having to park for 6 or 7 days at €8 a day (average) as long as you dont live in Ballygobackwards

Makes sense from a security point of view that there isn't a big gap on your driveway to show the burglers your away

Makes sense from a tiredness point, who in their right mind wants to drive around Dublin for half an hour or so at 4 in the morning when you can pay someone to do it for you, also what if your flights delayed coming back ( you spend an extra 4 or 5 hours travelling and then still have to drive home! and have to pay extra car parking fees as well! )

Also AFAIK it makes sense from the insurance point of view, private transport breaking down would not be covered for travel insurance as a reason for late arrival whereas public transport breaking down is. ( I stand to be corrected on this as I am not an insurance guru! )

Spook_ie wrote:
    Makes financial sense if your having to park for 6 or 7 days at €8 a day (average)
    6 days will cost €50 approx. For a taxi to be cheaper would mean each journey (to and from) costing less than €25. You won't travel too far from Dublin Airport for €25.
    Spook_ie wrote:
    as long as you dont live in Ballygobackwards
    Dublin Airport serves passengers from all over the island of Ireland. Would you describe someone who lives in Cork/Limerick/Galway/Derry/Newry or Belfast Cities as being from "Ballygobackwards"? A large percentage of the cars in the long term car parks are from Northern Ireland and most of the rest are from outside Dublin.

You don't mention the long queues which are a frequent feature at the taxi rank in the airport. Personally, I would much prefer to park in the long term and drive home in the comfort of my own car than take a taxi (and I only live 20 minutes from the airport!).

(...and we won't go into the attitude problem of many taxi drivers when requested to go within a few miles of the airport. It's not the passenger's fault that the taxi has been queuing in the kesh for a couple of hours ;))

• Advertisement

I see that quickPARK have restarted the online booking again. Business must be slackening off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I see that quickPARK have restarted the online booking again. Business must be slackening off!
    I'm not sure why you think business is slackening. QuickPark seems close to full whenever I'm there despite their price rise. They have applied for planning permission for a new parking area, so their capacity will be increased soon. It seems like a simple business and my estimate is that they are turning over around €1m/hectare/year with very low costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Spook_ie wrote:
    Take a taxi...you KNOW it makes sense

Makes financial sense if your having to park for 6 or 7 days at €8 a day (average) as long as you dont live in Ballygobackwards

Makes sense from a security point of view that there isn't a big gap on your driveway to show the burglers your away

Makes sense from a tiredness point, who in their right mind wants to drive around Dublin for half an hour or so at 4 in the morning when you can pay someone to do it for you, also what if your flights delayed coming back ( you spend an extra 4 or 5 hours travelling and then still have to drive home! and have to pay extra car parking fees as well! )

Also AFAIK it makes sense from the insurance point of view, private transport breaking down would not be covered for travel insurance as a reason for late arrival whereas public transport breaking down is. ( I stand to be corrected on this as I am not an insurance guru! )

Taking a taxi to the airport is a great idea. Taking a taxi from the airport can be a bit of a drag; those massive queues at the arrivals area. Thing to do is phone your local taxi company from the luggage carousel and get them to pick you up at departures.

It is worth the extra money, if only to be able to have a drink on the last day of your holiday without worrying about driving home.

OTK wrote:
    I'm not sure why you think business is slackening
    They suspended the online booking a year or two ago because they were so busy.

Operating car parks on a 'first come, first serve' basis is much more lucrative as spaces don't have to be reserved for the online bookings. Open the carpark until it's full, then close it. When a few cars leave allow a few to enter. The car park is then constantly full with no vacant spaces. Vacant spaces don't earn money.

When I see that they are advertising their online service again I presumed that business must have slackened off a little. I can't see any other reason. I don't think their capacity has increased yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

my mate is driving to the airport today in his campervan.
    Im guessing due to height restrictions he will have to park in the long term?

• Advertisement

Tiesto wrote:
    my mate is driving to the airport today in his campervan.
    Im guessing due to height restrictions he will have to park in the long term?
    No - he could park in the exterior surface short term car park. When he approaches the airport he should keep to the right towards the standard short term area but enter via the outside barriers on the right. The multi-storey short term car parks (A,B and C) have the barriers at the actual entrance to the multi-storey buildings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

thanks alot

Advertisement