Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Parking

Options
  • 10-04-2007 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Im looking at parking my car at dublin airport. I will be leaving it there for 5 days.
    I see there are 2 car parks. The main Dublin airport and the cheaper option, quickpark which is 7.50 a day.
    Are there any cheaper options about?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could get a bus. 6 euro single* for Airlink from Dublin Bus and I think 8 euro single (return??) for Aircoach. Quite a few local buses also serve the airport.

* Buy a book of 5 one-day bus tickets for 18.30 euro (normally 6 euro each) - these are valid on the Airlink. One ticket covers you for hte whole journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Victor wrote:

* Buy a book of 5 one-day bus tickets for 18.30 euro (normally 6 euro each) - these are valid on the Airlink. One ticket covers you for hte whole journey.

And plus you will have another cople to use if you are going away again:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I don't know where you are based , but 5 days is right on the cusp of either getting a taxi/other transport.

There isn't anywhere cheaper to park. And remember it will add approx 30-45 mins to your journey because the long term c/parks are quite a way from the airport , in fact when that terrible summer long term c/park is open that is almost in Finglas !

I would take Victor's advice look at other ways if at all possible

Of course when ( if ? ) the magic metro arrives all the connection problems will be solved ...... as long as you live in D2 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I could take a bus but the thing is my flight out is at 6.50 in the morning which means i need to be at the airport for 5am...
    Plus the fact that I live in Clontarf so I would have to get a bus into town to get a bus back out...
    So much hassle..

According to quickpark.ie, the shuttle bus only takes 5 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Tiesto wrote:
    I could take a bus but the thing is my flight out is at 6.50 in the morning which means i need to be at the airport for 5am...
    Plus the fact that I live in Clontarf so I would have to get a bus into town to get a bus back out...
    So much hassle..

From Clontarf, a taxi to the airport should be about €20 for door to door and a little less hassle viz a viz, not lugging bags out of car and into buses at the car park. On the return trip home, you may well be able to use buses if the times are with you, or the return cab home which will be about the same cost. Quickpark would be about 5 minutes from the airport, not including the wait for the transfer but they are fairly regular so it isn't a half hour wait or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I leave the van at home and take a motorbike to the airport, ie Free parking in the short term carpark:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tiesto wrote:
    That's a gross exaggeration and physically impossible when there are 3 buses operating (Tue-Thur) and difficult when there are 4 (Fri-Mon). Allow up to 15 minutes for bus transfer to the airport.

Personally, I'd still use the LTCP in preference to a taxi. The QuickPark (if you get in) will cost you €37.50 while the DAA will cost €42.50. You'd easily spend that on taxis and there are sometimes long queues on the arrivals rank.
    Davidth88 wrote:
    that terrible summer long term c/park is open that is almost in Finglas
    During peak periods customers entering the main RED Long Term are frequently 'vetted' and sent to the BLUE,GREEN or PURPLE. If you don't wish to be sent to these other car-parks just tell the lads that you have absolutely no idea when you are returning and they will usually allow you into the RED. (It acts as a sort of 'default' car park and is serviced by shuttle buses all year round).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rushbrook

I would agree with anyone who says leave the car at home - get a taxi, especially from clontarf...u will thank that decision when u come back into dublin airport and u are not spending the next few hours waiting for your luggage , then waiting for the shuttle bus and then wading through dublin traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

rushbrook wrote:
    and then wading through dublin traffic

Because in Dublin we have hover-taxis that glide above the traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

John R wrote:
    Because in Dublin we have hover-taxis that glide above the traffic jams.

Thats exactly the point he was making;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

If you do park your car at the long-term airport, remember to pay the ticket before you leave the terminal for the car park, there's no pay machines out there... I've been caught twice, horrible to have to trek back to the terminal after a long flight!!

cathald wrote:
    If you do park your car at the long-term airport, remember to pay the ticket before you leave the terminal for the car park, there's no pay machines out there
    Unless of course, you are in QuickPark which must be paid in the carpark. ;)

PS - For DAA carparks, if paying by Credit/Laser card, there is no need to take a ticket on entry. Just place your card into the slot at the barrier and place the same card into the slot on the other barrier when leaving. Payment is automatically deducted.

Clontarf I would take a taxi for sure. The long term car park adds 30-45 mins to the journey ( or seems to when I use it )

On a brighter note you do often get a really nice view of hares esp at that time in the morning :-) ...... seriously you often see them in the LTCP .

There will be no traffic that time in the mornng anyway.

Have a safe and pleasant flight , I don't envy you I HATE the red-eyes , I had a 6:20 depart last week , and a 06:30 the week before that .

Davidth88 wrote:
    you do often get a really nice view of hares esp at that time in the morning :-) ...... seriously you often see them in the LTCP
    You certainly do. (Part of the Red Car Park is situated in the townland of Tober Bunny ;))
    Davidth88 wrote:
    There will be no traffic that time in the mornng anyway.
    :eek: It's one of the busiest times for traffic around the airport, especially on a Saturday and Monday.
    Davidth88 wrote:
    I HATE the red-eyes , I had a 6:20 depart last week , and a 06:30 the week before that .
    5 or 6am would not be early by airport standards. Many of the staff begin at 3 or 4am and traffic begins arriving steadily into the car parks from 3am onwards.

Wishbone Ash.

Sure it's busy at the airport at that time , but getting to the airport will be a doddle. The drop off point is a little busy that's all.

By the way , what bright spark got rid of the island in the set down point , maybe this was to increase capacity , but its very dangerous .

You should try LHR T1 on a Monday morning that time, I have queued 20 mins to get through the tunnel there many times!

Believe me 6am is early enough , anyway a 6am dept means most people have to rise at 4am or something , now to a person working at the airport who may be used to this it's not too bad , but to me I hate it :-)

Davidth88 wrote:
    what bright spark got rid of the island in the set down point , maybe this was to increase capacity , but its very dangerous
    Yes, I agree. I think it was done to improve capacity and to allow egress from the centre of the queue. Prior to now, a motorist who made a quick drop off was forced to wait until the vehicles in front had cleared.

If the departures road is backed up, the best thing to do is drop off at the rear of the short term multi-storey car park. There is an new escalator/travelator from there to the departures level. Since December 23rd last, you are no longer required to pull a ticket when entering this area as the ticket barriers have been placed on the actual car park entrances (A,B & C). This means that you can drive straight out again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Are there any capacity issues in the long term car parks this summer? We're off to France in a week or two but fear arriving at the airport to find no car parking spaces available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Strasser wrote:
    Are there any capacity issues in the long term car parks this summer? We're off to France in a week or two but fear arriving at the airport to find no car parking spaces available.

quickpark you need to be early in the morning it seems, but with the daa there seems to be plenty of room

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I would agree with the earlier posters - Take a taxi to the airport.

If your return flight is not late at night you can get the Airlink back to city centre in 25 minutes through the port tunnel and get a bus home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Strasser wrote:

Major issues. I wasted about 30mins last Saturday morning going from Quickpark, to DAA Red Park, only to be told I had to go around back to the Blue carpark. Then of course I had the pleasure of the queues at our Third-world airport.

You would think somebody might have the bright idea to put a sign on the approach roads to this effect? Nah, that would take some initiative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

tom dunne wrote:
    Major issues. I wasted about 30mins last Saturday morning going from Quickpark, to DAA Red Park, only to be told I had to go around back to the Blue carpark. /

What's the difference between the red and blue car parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Strasser wrote:
    What's the difference between the red and blue car parks?

Blue car park is way around the back (west side) of the airport, whereas Quickpark and Red carpark are essentially on the way in, coming from the M1/M50.

If I had a known to go to the Blue car park straight away, I wouldn't have wasted the 30 mins driving around. I could have got off the M50 at the previous exit and gone straight there.

The Blue car park looks to be the biggest of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Strasser wrote:

Flew out last Saturday, got to the Airport around 10.00am. Drove to Quick Park - no spaces, drove back up to the Red long term - no spaces, drove all the way around the airport to the Blue long term. Back in on Tuesday and there was still plenty of space in the Blue long term car park, takes ages to get too and from the terminal from there so leave plenty of time and just go straight to the Blue car park.

Strasser wrote:
    Quickpark is a private carpark and has to close and open according to the spaces available.

DAA on the other hand have several alternatives. If all spaces in the Red, Blue and Green are full, they usually begin allowing parking in the numerous grass verges especially in the Red (no. 3) car park. When those are near to capacity, they then convert the multi storey Block C of the short term into a long term car park. If this happens you will be diverted there from the other car parks by staff. The ticket machine in the short term will be altered to convert to long term prices.

In extreme situations, they will convert the staff Purple car park (behind the Great Southern hotel) in to a customer long term car park.

I've never heard of the DAA having to turn away customers!

tom dunne wrote:
    The Blue car park looks to be the biggest of the lot.
    The Red has four times the capacity of the the Blue.
    tom dunne wrote:
    You would think somebody might have the bright idea to put a sign on the approach roads to this effect? Nah, that would take some initiative.
    The Blue is primarily designed to take intending customers who are approaching via the M50. There is signage on the M50 and on the slip road at Ballymun requesting intending long term car park users to go to the Blue.

Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, people will always try to find a place nearer the airport entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've always parked in the Red cark park, and aside from once parking on the verge, I can't say I've ever seen any capacity problems. I also don't fly on Saturdays. Personal rule :)

Works out far cheaper for me - gf lives in Terenure, I live in Lucan, so a taxi from hers to mine, to the airport costs at least €40. Unless I'm going away for ten days or more, it's cheaper to park in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

It's a short trip up the Malahide Road to Bewleys Airport Hotel. Leave your car there for €7/day and take the shuttle bus to the airport. You don't have to be a resident. It is open to all.;)

http://www.bewleyshotels.com/dublin_airport_hotel_park_and_fly.asp

Would not recommend staying over unless you can cope with people taking showers and baths at 4.30 am in adjoining rooms.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

danjo wrote:
    It's a short trip up the Malahide Road to Bewleys Airport Hotel.

Doesn't that depend on the direction your coming from?

seamus wrote:
    I've always parked in the Red cark park, and aside from once parking on the verge, I can't say I've ever seen any capacity problems
    It's regularly full seamus. The DAA often divert intending customers to other car parks especially during "office hours". Even when it's not full they still try to divert as many cars as possible as the Red Car Park operates 24 hours and they like to ensure that there is enough capacity for during the night when there is less staff available to cope with any capacity problems. A significant amount of traffic arrives between 3am and 6am.
    Bluetonic wrote:
    Doesn't that depend on the direction your coming from?
    Presumably danjo means that it is a short distance from the airport long term car parks to Bewleys, regardless of where the journey commenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Presumably danjo means that it is a short distance from the airport long term car parks to Bewleys, regardless of where the journey commenced.

I wouldn't presume that, he mentions 'up the Malahide road', you don't go up the Malahide road travelling from the long term to Bewelys.

Advertisement