Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Winston Churchill famously said that Royal Navy tradition was nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.

Compared to an Irish Catholic education, it doesn't sound that bad...

at least you get rum

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Just to point out that instead of ATHEISM this should read AMERICAN ATHEISTS as that is the logo of their organisation. As for the fundraising and weekly gatherings.. I dunno, so can't speculate on that.
    thysich wrote: »
    1387_atheism.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Our Catholic aid programme only installs Ubuntu .. Its free .. no explorer.
    Just out of curiosity. Do they install the special christian edition of Ubuntu or stick with the regular version?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Knasher wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity. Do they install the special christian edition of Ubuntu or stick with the regular version?

That's a joke right? Christian OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

qJGxY.png
    Yoinked from reddit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

thysich wrote: »

Meh, these "atheists" obviously aren't true atheists because they most certainly do not keep current with science.
    *Chews on another baby*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's pretty much a Christian version of everything. Here's the Christian Civil Engineer Technician's Handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Penn wrote: »
    There's pretty much a Christian version of everything. Here's the Christian Civil Engineer Technician's Handbook.

I am at a loss as to how labelling it Christian could possibly make a difference in it's context?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

shizz wrote: »
    I am at a loss as to how labelling it Christian could possibly make a difference in it's context?

For you it makes no difference, you'd buy it if the book was good and useful. For the devout and paranoid Christian though it might be seen as a seal of approval that this book contains no ungodly content. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Was just glancing in the christianity forum and in particular; a thread about creationism.
    I found it confusing, amusing and annoying all at once that some of the posters were laughing at the idea of creationism.

End Communication....
    simpsons%2Bend%2Bcommunication.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

383393_280688345351365_130148817071986_626098_1715272010_n.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Hi%20I'm%20Jesus%20Christ.jpg

37Ijg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh dear...

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m2va98BAK81rtg1hvo1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

muppeteer wrote: »
    37Ijg.jpg

so religion removes the Light of Liberty (the torch on the actual statue is a symbol for progress), i.e. returns us to darkness? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the picture is too small did they change the tablet too?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the picture is too small did they change the tablet too?

From what I can see, yes they have. They removed the poem The New Colossus, which has the famous line, "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses". Seems they want to close off the country to those type of people that originally moved to the country.

The church clearly gave no thought to their version of the statue.

EDIT: yep. they put the Ten Commandments on the tablet :rolleyes:

tumblr_m2v0ub3caM1qgu9k8o1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

koth wrote: »
    From what I can see, yes they have. They removed the poem The New Colossus, which has the famous line, "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses". Seems they want to close off the country to those type of people that originally moved to the country.

The church clearly gave no thought to their version of the statue.

EDIT: yep. they put the Ten Commandments on the tablet :rolleyes:

It's an african american church according to wikipedia which just makes it weirder.

Seems its not the only one:
    An 11-foot (3.4 m) miniature Statue of Liberty (holding a Bible instead of a tablet) currently stands atop a 15-foot (4.6 m) pedestal outside the Liberty Recycling plant in San Marcos, California. The company was named after the statue, which has been moved throughout northern San Diego County for over 80 years, originating at Liberty Hotel in Leucadia, in the 1920s.[

Very strange that recycling company would have such a statue, especially with the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Very strange that recycling company would have such a statue, especially with the bible.
    Given the the bible is merely the recycling of crap from other, older religions, and that it has be kind of recycled itself, perhaps not so strange...

MrP

so religion removes the Light of Liberty (the torch on the actual statue is a symbol for progress), i.e. returns us to darkness? :pac:
    Maybe they could retain the torch light symbolism by having a flaming cross. Don't see any downsi......................oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    It's an african american church according to wikipedia which just makes it weirder.
    To quote Cpt. Carrot quoting Commander Vimes: Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean he's isn't a nasty, small minded, little jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

What a massive insult to the French nation, where there's absolute separation of state and religion. They should demand the destruction of this mockery.

Commander Vimes was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fortyniner wrote: »
    What a massive insult to the French nation, where there's absolute separation of state and religion. They should demand the destruction of this mockery.

Commander Vimes was right!

I'm willing to bet at least 90% of Americans don't know it was a gift from the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet at least 90% of Americans don't know it was a gift from the French.

I'd devour a supersize portion of 'Freedom Fries' right now. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

MrPudding wrote: »
    Given the the bible is merely the recycling of crap from other, older religions, and that it has be kind of recycled itself, perhaps not so strange...

MrP

Nice one, MrP.

Meanwhile back in the ranch:

20080119.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Remember that American fundie catholic who showed up in Dublin a while ago?

Well, here he is describing what's wrong with democracy:

No comments needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement