Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lanelli V Munster

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

RuggieBear wrote:
    better off looking within ireland.

earls has huge potential and there are a heap of leinster underage backs who won't make the leinster team for a little while yet.
    theres a lot of people within the leinster setup worthy of a spot with them but due to the sheer volume of them and the form of the senior players they wont get a chance. i think more should go down south, likes of McCarron, Carr, Willis, et al would have a great shot at it. i think willis is one of the best prospect comin from either province, and would fit it with ease to any heineken cup side (as shown earlier in the year),.

good point ruggie well spotted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

davyjose wrote:
    Ah come on man, I know it's been a tough night, but grab a hold of yourself!!!

Then why does it attract top international players when the ML doesnt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Sky Sports commentators need to read this:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055069555

hehe. I was just explaining this to my Dad before the match, and then it comes into play during the 1st Munster try.

The Scarlets deserved to win. They also deserve to win the cup. Personally, I'd love to see them play Leinster in the final. But I get ahead of myself....tomorrow at 5.30.. come on Leinster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I would say the cash. There's more money in the GP.
    But there are a lot of SH has-beens there as well. Mehrtens went as soon as it became clear there was a better prospect at Crusaders (it really says something about the quality of NZ Rugby); Spencer had a couple of good months this time last year, but is nothing like the player he was pre-WC. That's two examples, but I'm sure there are more: Reihana, I guess, could have gone to an ML side, but Munster got Cullen - a couple of years ago I know which FB i'd have chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Knee jerk reactions from the Munster fans, this isn't Rugby Manager, you just can't go out a sign Jauzion !

Scarlets deserved it, Munster's form this season has been pretty poor.

Good luck to Leinster tomorrow, to keep the Irish flah flying.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote:
    I would say the cash. There's more money in the GP.
    But there are a lot of SH has-beens there as well. Mehrtens went as soon as it became clear there was a better prospect at Crusaders (it really says something about the quality of NZ Rugby); Spencer had a couple of good months this time last year, but is nothing like the player he was pre-WC. That's two examples, but I'm sure there are more: Reihana, I guess, could have gone to an ML side, but Munster got Cullen - a couple of years ago I know which FB i'd have chosen.

Spencer might not be the player he was pre-WC but he is still excellent. I'd take Reihana in a second over Cullen.

Lecister will be signing Aaron Mauger after the WC, huge signing and not something i could see leinster or munster doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mogsy

Munsters backs were exposed today as being about as potent an attacking force as wet toilet roll,O Gara and backline lacked in terms of creativity and physicality to cope with the scarlets. IMO munster lacked leadership from 1-15,This was not the performance I had anticipated from the nucleus of a triple crown winning Irish pack.

Scarlets thoroughly deserved victory this evening and Munsters management are going to have a lot to think about on how they can challenge for cup next year when the likes of Mafi, john kelly and the once great cullen are meant to represent a threat in the backline.

on a positive side the signings of carney,warwick and lewis should add some depth to backs next season.However shaun payne cant have much long left of his career ahead of him and in any case apart from being secure under the high ball he offers little in attack while Cullen has little to offer at the highest level.Munster need to sign a quality FB. Lewis and Murphy are both 13s and will not form a centre partnership as their performance for Ireland A this season illustrated. Munster should sign a 12 as well and with little options in the domestic market should possibly be looking at some southern hemisphere market for players who wont be hanging around after the RWC.

Whatever about up and coming talent such as Earls,Hurley and ryan these players will undoubtedly feature for Munster in the future but will not make a major impact next season

RANT ENDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Spencer might not be the player he was pre-WC but he is still excellent. I'd take Reihana in a second over Cullen.

Lecister will be signing Aaron Mauger after the WC, huge signing and not something i could see leinster or munster doing.
    Agreed - you won't find a bigger Spencer fan than I, but a very disappointing year - could be looking to leave Northampton. Someone that could interest munster in a IC role.
    Would you have said that about Cullen 2/3 seasons ago? Not me.
    The Mauger thing is a massive coup, but is a rarity, getting someone of that quality from the SH.
    In fact I daresay the best SH player in Europe at the moment wears No.10 for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Munster paid the price for next to no recruitment after last year. Mafi hasn't been a success. Some good breaks last night that kick-started the revival, but terrible hands at times and suspect defence.

If the Munster pack is intact and performs then they can get away wih it. But not having POC in the side was a big loss, IMO Ryan should have started the game. He did more in the 5 minutes he was on than the other two locks.

They might want to retain J Kelly as a useful utility back. I don't believe Dowling is up to it at this level. He's not quick, he's not big, he doesn't have much of a boot. What does he bring? Whatever it is, it's not enough at this level for a modern winger. Contrast with the Scarlet wings - who were bigger, stronger and fast than their opponents.

C Cullen - Munster really missed Payne, who might not be quick or much of a finisher but is at least dependable under the high ball or as the last man. I suspect Cullen's injuries are now as much mental as physical. Time to go.

The good news for Munster is that they've already recruited better this year than last. They still need to add a couple of players...but a backline featuring Warwick, Lewis, Carney and Earls has potential far greater than their predecessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Munster played into their hands, Llanelli play a nice brand of rugby best of luck to them for the rest of the cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Chucky, imo the english league sucks from an entertainment point of view. But they have huge money (and sterling) to thank for all the big names they attract.

Magners league is usually much more entertaining but this is hampered by teams not putting out full strength teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

GP is woeful to watch, Mauger is going to Tigers to secure the HC, make no doubt about it, and it's possible he'll be joined by another marque player (chris jack etc.)

I can't believe Kidney said that it was a young team, and the same team will be back next year. They made a massive mistake recruiting poorly in the off-season.

In Lewis they are getting a far superior player to Barry Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Where are the Tigers going to play Mauger, they already have three 10's and a ton of centres. You never no maybe he'll push out Humphreys and he'll sign for an Irish club(other than Ulster).

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Terrible performance, the backline aapart from O'Gara were exposed for the pack of chancers that they are in professional rugby

And yet again some very poor kicking from O'Gara after the same in the Italy game

davyjose wrote:
    Agreed - you won't find a bigger Spencer fan than I, but a very disappointing year - could be looking to leave Northampton. Someone that could interest munster in a IC role.
    Would you have said that about Cullen 2/3 seasons ago? Not me.
    The Mauger thing is a massive coup, but is a rarity, getting someone of that quality from the SH.
    In fact I daresay the best SH player in Europe at the moment wears No.10 for Leinster.

The whole saints team had a terrible year. But when he does leave, he wont be short of teams wanting him. I'd nearly take him ahead of ROG.

There was always question marks over Cullen, but i didnt think he would be this unlucky with injury, a shame. I guess 3 seasons ago i would of taken cullen because of the potential.

You wouldnt be far off it, but argie players are the only SH players that would move to Munster or leinster in their prime. ML is the least attractive of the 4 leagues in the world, thats the problem.

Ruggie, i never meant to imply GPL is more attracting viewing wise, its brutal. But its alot more competitive and the clubs take it more seriously.

My reply was originally too the calls of lets go get Jauzion, rabanna etc etc. It will never happen. IF a GPL club was interested, they would pick them first if even money was offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flsghujslkuo

At the welsh 2nd try there was some suspect rucking by Jones; he was dancing on top of a munster man: the rules state there has to be backward motion when 'shoeing' but Jones went out to tear the arm off Quinlan.

Of course it takes nothing away from a great win from llanelli, they deserved to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Probably because the likes of Ireland don't try and recruit big name international stars ahead of homegrown talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I wasn't able to merge this thread with the Munster thread, so if you can do it Dave that might be better than closing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement