Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastric Banding anyone? Mod Note: No Clinic Names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Derrin

Hi all,

Great to hear so many success stories, best of luck and continued success to you all.

I haven’t been able to get Quinn Healthcare to get back to me yet! I was thinking it might be a good idea to get some advice from people who have had either procedure through Quinn.

I’d love to hear from anyone that can give me some advice please.

Thanks in advance,

Derrin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticfan32

Im getting my band fitted early next week depending on the availability of a bed. Can anyone who has the procedure done, how long was your hospital stay and had you much pain afterwards? Also how did you get on with your diet for the first few weeks after your operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nemis

Hi i had my band fitted 2 weeks in England i went over the day before had my bloods done and then i had the rest of the day to go shoping went back to the hospital around 7 oclock in the evening. Had my op the next morning and slept most of the day was up walking by late afternoon had some pain but not as bad as i thought it would be. iI had a good nights sleep. The next morning i went home i was a bit nervious on the flight but everything was fine,the next 4 or 5 days i took it easy and now 2 weeks later i just wish i has it done a long time ago,best of luck your doing the right thing.......

• Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

Hi,

well I had my band fitted on Monday morning in Belgium, it went fine I could not move much and got no sleep and also got sick a few times, I was worried that it may slip as I was getting sick, I got no sleep the 1st night.
    Next day I felt sore at the side like a stitch, doc said as he had to place the portal on my stomach muscles but it would ease and the sickness was from anesthetic, did not eat anything had a little to drink,. there is a weird feeling as liquids go from one pouch to another. i also had sore cramps but slept better than night.
    Today I had porridge for breakfast,cup of tea, lunch cup of soup diner ready break, the cramps are all most gone plus i am moving a lot more, feel weak as not had much food
    ITS getting better day by day.

After op i felt depressed and feel depressed every day as I feel like I cheated or quit but I know I did it for the right reasons and will come around.
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bigmix

Well done Mick,
    I'm getting mine done in Belgium on Friday week, as for feeling you've cheated dont think that way, we're making a life changing decision by facing up to our illness and having the balls to do something about it. and do believe it is an illness like any other. If u were sick with any other illness surgery woudn't feel like cheating

Mick (also)

• Advertisement

hi im sorry you felt so bad but it gets better every day ,i had the pain in my side too i still get it a few times duiring the day but having talked to people who have bands a long time, this seems to be the norm,I had a few days when i felt down this also passed. On my way back to dublin i asked the airline for a wheel chair to get to the plain and one in Dublin from the plane this was a great idea because there was standing around i would say to anyone going for a band to do this its a great help .:):rolleyes:

hi just wondering how things went , how are you feeling ? im 3 weeks on now and things are good even had a meal out on saturday( small portion) i had to mash it but it tasted so good my friend were very happy about it they got to finish the left overs .Anyway if i can be of any help to you just ask i found it a great help to talk to people that are a few weeks ahead of me.GOOD LUCk:eek::eek::eek:

Hi Nemis,
    I'm getting mine done this coming Friday, Celtic 32 is getting his done today if there's a bed available. I got some good news Quinhealth says there's a good chance they'll pay 4 the op if I can get it pre approvrd b4hand so I'm hoping.
    Glad ur doing well, I hope Celtic 32 gets it done today, I'll let u know how I get on,
    Keep in touch,
    Mick

Well lads i got a call on Sunday and still no bed available but lets hope it will happen next Sunday please God.

nemis wrote: »
    hi just wondering how things went , how are you feeling ? im 3 weeks on now and things are good even had a meal out on saturday( small portion) i had to mash it but it tasted so good my friend were very happy about it they got to finish the left overs .Anyway if i can be of any help to you just ask i found it a great help to talk to people that are a few weeks ahead of me.GOOD LUCk:eek::eek::eek:

Hi Nemis, got mine done on Friday, very painful but glad I got it done, what kind of Liquid food did u use after the op.
    Mick

• Advertisement

Hey Mix, I hope your feeling ok. How did it go for you and how do you feel?

Well lads i got a call on Sunday and still no bed available but lets hope it will happen next Sunday please God.

Hi Celticfan,
    Any news of a bed in Loughlinstown? Got mine done in Belgium on Friday, still sore but looking forward to getting the fill and getting it working, let us know how u get on, best of luck
    Mick

Hey Mix, I hope your feeling ok. How did it go for you and how do you feel?

I'm ok just a bit sore, any news of a bed?

Looks like after christmas now Mick. Was it very painful?

hi glad you are over the op hope your feeling better today.I just had soup,tomatoe, chicken and slimfast. lots of milky coffee and smoothies its not great but its only for 2 weeks at least that was how long i was on it .How long for you before the soft food ? how are the wind pains they are a real PAIN i found mint tea good for them.

Looks like after christmas now Mick. Was it very painful?

Ya very painful the day after op. but 3 days on it's getting a lot better. Hope u get the op soon

hi glad you are over the op hope your feeling better today.I just had soup,tomatoe, chicken and slimfast. lots of milky coffee and smoothies its not great but its only for 2 weeks at least that was how long i was on it .How long for you before the soft food ? how are the wind pains they are a real PAIN i found mint tea good for them.

Thanks Nemis, good 2 hear from someone who has gone thru it, I was a bit confused about what 2 eat, did u strain ur soups or just put them thru a blender. Havent had any wind pains really, just muscle pain from where the port is but that's not so bad now, did u take vitamin e? was it a liquid one?

I just got cream soups in a tin there wasnt realy any bits in them. I got a multi vit. it is effervescent it seems to cover all we need its a well known one so you wont have much problem getting them ,glad you arent suffering with the wind sometimes i think my shoulder is going to blow up if i didnt know about it i would think i was having a heart attack but like everything its getting better every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pig2twig

Hiya
    Having struggled with my weight for years, I am now on anti-depressants to cope with my feelings of depression and compulsion around food.
    I am seeing a psychiatrist and I am waiting for a referral to the psyciastric services to refer me to a counsellor.
    I am a quiter tall woman, so I carry the weight a bit better than someone smaller, however I am over 17 stones.
    I do work out and am actually quite active - my problem is around food, so I see the gastric band as a good solution to teach me the good habits and compel me into portion control.
    Like most people here, I have lost weight in large amounts but am really struggling. I also lost my mother to bowel cancer (her father died from it too) so I worry a lot about getting it too, as I carry my weight around my middle.
    I am considering getting the procedure done in Belgium, as a friend did and one year on is literally half her size!
    I want to lost this weight so I can finally begin concentrating on getting my mind sorted out...
    If anyone has similar experiences I would appreciate if you would contact me....

P2T

Hi i am also on anti depressants because of my weight ,my dad died of bowel cancer my mam of stroke. I am 5ft 8 ins so quite tall i was 17st 8 lbs and very much like yourself its all around my tum i have tried every diet known to man so it was time to do what i should have done years ago im now nearly 4 weeks post op and i am now 16st 2 lb. I had my op done in england it was just under 9000 but it covers everything for 2 years and all the after care is in Dublin. I found after all the councelling i was still over weight so i had to do something and im so glad i did.

• Advertisement

And how is your mood now? Do you see yourself coming off the ADs?
    I have concerns, really, about the op itself....I keep having to remind myself that it is a relatively minor procedure, especially compared to any operations resulting from carrying this 17+ stone around!

I was amazed with the results of my friend - absolutely could not believe it. I would also love to be able to get more fit and do the things I've longed to do but always thought I was too fat to do...

I feel my mood is much more possitive now because i can look at my friends all slim and think this time next year ill be just like them and not feeling like this big ugly monster. the op itself is fine i was very nervious but there was no need to be i had it done early in the morning and by about 4 that afternoon i was up walking a bit sore but not as bad as i thought it would be, came home the next morning and each day it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

I think those of you who've had the op / thinking of it are extremely brave.
    Im 27 , 5ft 5 and over 18stone. Ive struggled with my weight since about 10 ten years old. I have huge issues with food , i'm a huge comfort eater and a huge sweet tooth. I have very low confidence because of my size and as a result im chronically single .
    Ive tried weight watchers etc over the years, i start off with great intentions then slip back into old habits . Its so depressing , and yes ive been treated for depression many times. I have high blood pressure , a bad back , and i bet im verging on diabetes / cardiac problems . My GP is supportive enough , but I know ultimately its up to me. A few months ago he started me on Xenical , which was just absolutely disgusting .
    I dont think ive ever have the surgery, mainly for financial reasons, I just hope someday I'll wake up and start eating sensibly & excercise, My dream is to be even a size 14 , not the 24 I am now.
    I know people look at me and think its disgusting I got this way, but its as a result of habits of a lifetime and its very tough to change . I just hope its not a heart attack or stroke thats the deciding factor ....

hi giggles, for me it's not so much bravery as desperation, my own story mirrors yours as i've been treated 4 depression and used xenical (as u say disgusting) and reductil which played with my head. I already have diabetes so this really is a last chance 4 me. If it's just Financial reasons that's stopping u, get in touch with loughlinstown hospital, U might have 2 wait longer but u might as well b on the waiting list, it'll come soon enough,
    I'm not a week post op yet but I'm glad I had it, it's a step forward 4 me, Best of Luck
    Mick

hi all, glad your doing well mick, we all seem to have much the same background as regards our weight Im 53 years old and a grandmother when i was younger i was only a size ten and only put the weight on after my father passed away 17 years ago and it has been going up ever since so it was time for me to do something possitive as i had tried all the usual sliming tablets. To day im starting to eat a normal diet again so we will see how it goes i feel a bit nervious in case i eat too much but other than that i feel good.Its a new start for all of us so best foot forword:P:P:cool:

hi all, glad your doing well mick, we all seem to have much the same background as regards our weight Im 53 years old and a grandmother when i was younger i was only a size ten and only put the weight on after my father passed away 17 years ago and it has been going up ever since so it was time for me to do something possitive as i had tried all the usual sliming tablets. To day im starting to eat a normal diet again so we will see how it goes i feel a bit nervious in case i eat too much but other than that i feel good.Its a new start for all of us so best foot forword:P:P:cool:

Hi Nemis
    glad ur getting back 2 a normal diet, I'm still on Liquids 4 another few days then on 2 the mashed stuff, starting 2 get my appetite back now so i'm looking 4ward 2 something solid, whenr u going 4 ur fill?
    Do u have 2 go 2 england again?
    Keep going, best of luck,
    Mick

Good morning Mick :confused: no i get my fills done in Dublin with THG. I had my xray done last monday to make shure that everything is where it should be so now im just waiting on them to get back to me with appointment to talk to the dietician.Im hopeing they will give me my first fill before christmas just in case i go a bit mad on the christmas pud.:p

Hello BigMix & Nemis

Booked my appointment to see the Brussels crowd on Thursday for a consultation - I'm excited/nervous...

The first surgery they have in January is 15th...

There's a chance we'll be emigrating to the UK at the end of January, so if that happens, I might buy a three year aftercare package with WLS Group.

I am pretty clear on wanting a band, and the challanges involved etc.
    I'm a little confused as to what will be expected of me prior to the surgery - ie is it a two week diet?

Hi P2T,
    Best of luck, with the consultation, let them know U MIGHT B GOING 2 LIVE IN UK, They have aftercare clinics all over uk where u can get the fills done. I done the pre op diet 4 2 weeks though I did break it half way thru, Google Gastric Band pre op diet and u'l get loads of info on what 2 eat. I didn't find it that hard as I knew there was an end objective.
    Hope This Helps
    Mick

• Advertisement

What's the aftercare like? I like the WLS one is good because it's unlimited fills etc.
    Meeting yer man in an hour :D
    I shall let you know how I get on

Advertisement