Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastric Banding anyone? Mod Note: No Clinic Names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i looking at having the band done in belgum has anyone gone there it only coats 4000 there which is not as bad as here im really scared when i think about it but i cant live with this weight anymore love the advice

i looking at having the band done in belgum has anyone gone there it only coats 4000 there which is not as bad as here im really scared when i think about it but i cant live with this weight anymore love the advice

Hi Unregistered

I've no experience of belgium i researched a company in Cz and if VHI don't cover me that's where i'll go.

Does anyone know of the surgeons who do this surgery with VHI?
    If you could private mail me i'd be so grateful, thanks.

Has anyone successfully been approved by any Insurance Provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arlene

hello i was hoping you could let me know about the place in brussels you are going to i would really appreciate this thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arlene

hi i would like some infermation on gastric bands in belgium does anyone know can you get after care in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

I am going to Brussels to have the band done on 12th August.
    The surgeon comes to Dublin once a month to do the 'fills'

If you need any more guidance PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bigmix

hi, I too would like to know if anyone got the operation covered by thier health insurance in Ireland

I just had my consultation for my weight loss surgery last week. To be honest i was quiet surprised with the surgeon's reaction. My own GP has told me to go for the gastric band and thats what i want too. The surgeon spoke to me about the banding and bypass and told me he prefers the bypass than the band. I told him i wanted the band and he sent me away to think about the bypass. I have done alot of research on both and the band seems to be the best option for me. My BMI is 48.5 and he thinks the band wont work for me. Since last December im nearly down 2 stone, due to excercising 3-4 times a week and watching my diet (except weekends, where im not at my best). Anyone else have this problem with their surgeon?

Hey Celticfan

I was wondering had you made up your mind i'm kinda ruling out the band but unsure about the bypass, anyway hope your well.

Irishlad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticfan32

Im definitely going for the band cos the bypass does seem to be a bit severe. I have lost over 2 stone since December and i know if i work with the band then i will continue to loose more weight. Bypass will loose you weight easier but my mind is made up....

Im definitely going for the band cos the bypass does seem to be a bit severe. I have lost over 2 stone since December and i know if i work with the band then i will continue to loose more weight. Bypass will loose you weight easier but my mind is made up....

Ah good to hear, it's important that you are comfortable with what you want also.
    Congrats also on the weightloss and with that determination it will make the band easier.

Best of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Hi there

Well i'm 1 week post op now.
    Had my band fitted last Wednesday in Belgium.
    Fantastic experience in a spotless, MRSA free Hospital.
    All staff are fluent in English. Very Efficient.
    One of the other patients who was having a band fitted also
    had a hernia, and surgeon fixed it for no extra charge!
    He should be sainted, the amount of operations he's doing
    to help people beat the obesity epidemic.

On fluids at the moment and have been for the last week.
    Will Start mushed food on Saturday.

Will keep you posted

Hi there

Well i'm 1 week post op now.
    Had my band fitted last Wednesday in Belgium.
    Fantastic experience in a spotless, MRSA free Hospital.
    All staff are fluent in English. Very Efficient.
    One of the other patients who was having a band fitted also
    had a hernia, and surgeon fixed it for no extra charge!
    He should be sainted, the amount of operations he's doing
    to help people beat the obesity epidemic.

On fluids at the moment and have been for the last week.
    Will Start mushed food on Saturday.

Will keep you posted

Hi EdenBridge

Congratulations on the surgery, i wish you the best of luck with your journey.

Irishlad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Patti D.

Irishlad best of luck with youir weight loss, im getting mine fitted on Sept 4th in Belgium.

Haver PMed u for more info

Edenbridge i hope your feeling ok after your operation. I would be grateful if you could let me know how your getting on since your operation and how did the operation go ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Out of curiosity, has anyone here who has had/is considering having the surgery spoken to a professional regarding their eating habits. I don't mean I dietician, I mean a psychologist!

To get to such an extreme weight you obviously have deep lying issues with food that won't be resolved by surgery. IMO, if you're capable of walking, then you can lose weight without surgery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

IMO, if you're capable of walking, then you can lose weight without surgery.

For many people there simply aren't enough hours in the day- to get in sufficient walking to burn off the amount of calories they'd need to burn- without serious remedial action on their eating habits....... An inability to eat- is easier than battling with a compulsion to eat- its actually a solution (albeit a rather extreme solution).

I'm neither in favour or against gastric banding- but I do have to recognise that it has helped some people achieve remarkable results, without which, some people may not be here today........

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Hi
    I had my gastric band surgery 2 years ago. Just wondering if anyone has had their band that long and how are they getting on with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

Hi, looking for some advice on gastric band in belgium, where is the hospital costs etc, what is the after care like,
    I can not get my weight down as I have a back injury for life that prevents me from training even tho I am only 34 this leads to depression and surprising enough a bottle of wine or 2 each night.
    I need to feel confortable about the surgery so all advice will be must appreciated.

Michael

Hi MIchael

I got a gastric band fitted in belgium 14 days ago. I highly recommend them, very professional and cost €4060 which also included the hotel accommodation for 3 night. Aftercare or fills are in Dublin once a month.
    PM me if you need any more info.

Hi Michael,
    I'm going 4 the band in Brussels on 20th November, its 3 nights 1st and last in a hotel and the night of the operation in a hospital. I've researched these people and talked with people who had it done and i'm very impressed. it costs 4070 + flight. Initial appointments are in dublin 1st thursday of every month ( that costs 120 euro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 irishguy34

is there anychance you can send me the contact name and number of the indivdual/hospital so I can make an appointment?

Cheers

Michael

Bigmix best of luck in Brussels sounds like the the package I got - you wont regret it!!!

Patti D. wrote: »
    Bigmix best of luck in Brussels sounds like the the package I got - you wont regret it!!!

Thanks Patti,
    hope all goes well 4 u, keep us all posted on your progress, as u know it helps us all,
    Mick

Hi
    I had my gastric band surgery 2 years ago. Just wondering if anyone has had their band that long and how are they getting on with it !

hi notmyname,
    just interested 2 know how your getting on after 2 years, where did u get it done? would u recommend it
    thanks
    Mick

Hey Mick,
    I have mixed emotions about the band to be honest. I have lost almost 5 stone, which I would'nt have done by myself if I had to rely on sheer willpower. I had the op in Dublin, and the most important advice I can give to anyone is to research the procedure itself, and the service provider. The aftercare package is essential, so be sure before you hand over your hard earned cash, of whats covered and what is'nt.
    Its not a quick fix solution to weight loss ....by any means.

Hey Mick,
    I have mixed emotions about the band to be honest. I have lost almost 5 stone, which I would'nt have done by myself if I had to rely on sheer willpower. I had the op in Dublin, and the most important advice I can give to anyone is to research the procedure itself, and the service provider. The aftercare package is essential, so be sure before you hand over your hard earned cash, of whats covered and what is'nt.
    Its not a quick fix solution to weight loss ....by any means.
    hi not my name,
    thanks 4 the advice, at the moment i dont c any other option open 2 me, so i'm going 2 go ahead. to be honest if I lost 5 stone as u did I'd be over the moon, I know it's not a quick fix and I have to work with the band but I'm prepared to do it,
    Mick

Loadsa luck Mick ........Nov is only around the corner !!!....Theres a few WLS sites that u'll get the info u need from ......n support too !!!
    PM if u need any help !!!

Best of luck Mick. Keep us informed on your progress. Im getting my band done hopefully next year. Getting it done in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nemis

hi is there anyone has had there band fited in ireland i am thinking of having it done asap if any has can they let me know how it went,thank you.

• Advertisement

nemis wrote: »
    hi is there anyone has had there band fited in ireland i am thinking of having it done asap if any has can they let me know how it went,thank you.

Hi - I had my band op in Dublin a couple of years ago ......the company that I went with no longer exists. Its a tough decision ......and if u have any questions .....i'll help if i can !!!

Advertisement