Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

20 car pileup on M7

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

RobAMerc wrote:
    Exactly, surely if they had intelligent signage and variable speed limits on this road it would have saved lives - we are going to have to look at this in the future.

Then, had the limits been reduced to 50kph in the fog - people who still then continued at 120 in the fog could be accused of being the cause of this accident.

We continue here in Ireland to undertrain drivers then send them out on underfunded poorly constructed roads and blame them when an accident occurs.

Even the simplest of cretins should realise that you don't do 120km/hr when you can barely see the bonnet of your car.

As for the people who did 120, they were accused of being the cause of the accident. They may have been within the legal speed limit (hence some people saying that the "Speeding kills" mantra doesn't apply here as the term "speeding" used in the mantra generally means keeping to the posted limit), but it was clearly dangerous driving and I hope they're prosecuted.
    RobAMerc wrote:
    Simply telling every body to "slow down" is an absolute farce!

Normally I would agree. But it seems people with the mental age of a schoolchild are hopping into cars these days so they need to be spoken to like schoolchildren.
    RobAMerc wrote:
    We continue here in Ireland to undertrain drivers then send them out on underfunded poorly constructed roads and blame them when an accident occurs.

That's like saying "Well he should have been trained in the use of scissors". All well and good if it's a small child, but you'd think adults would have a bit of cop on. Not saying that driver training in this country isn't a joke, but you'd think people might actually use the space between their ears every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I don't think signs makes the slightest difference.

People should stop trying to blame the authorities. Lets face it, the people driving the cars are the ones at fault. They showed no responsibility for themselves or others.

As for the fire services having advanced warnings in place, thats just silly. They need to get to the scene of an accident/incident asap, and stoping to put up signs would only slow them down. Also, if the driver could hit a fire engine, she probably would have just hit the sign by the same rationale.

I feel very sorry for the family of the deceased, and for the girl herself. But it seems that she was driving too fast for the conditions, and being reckless. Two penalty points is the worst she should have suffered, but unfortunately paid the ultimate price. The authorities are not to blame for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭alias no.9

MercMad wrote:
    Has anybody seen photo of the car that hit the Fire Truck ?

Surely the Firemen should have had advance warning signs placed back down the road ??

All cars carry warning triangles I assume the Fire Brigade have signs on board or what went wrong here ??

I seem to remember hearing that a car crashed into a fire brigade that was on its way to the scene, I'm not sure if that was the same incident, but it if was, it would indicate that the fire brigade was moving, most likely with its lights and siren on, so the suggestion of them stopping to place advance warning signs is a complete red herring. The drivers were responsible for this, nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,357 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i thought i heard the fire brigade was on the hard shoulder at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

from what i hear, there was an advanced paramedic conference on nearby in naas, this had a number of advanced paramedics and a+e doctors at it, these were mobilized to the scene imediately
    midlands ambulance control sent out a group text at 9:23 to all personell requesting their imediate atendance.ambulances were also drafted in from the army,dublin,the north east, the south east and a private company
    the dublin fire brigade also responded with 4 advanced paramedics in a response car, the national ambulance training school also responded with advanced paramedics

a full list of ALL ambulance resources drafted to the scene is available at: http://www.irishambulance.net/ambulance/showthread.php?t=815

all these resources must have saved lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

peasant, biro, quarryman - jaysus lads did any of you read the post I was responding to ?

The "I'm a great driver with skillez" was trying to mirror the mentality of some of the muppets that don't slow down in adverse conditions like the ones that lead to the tragic loss of a young girls life on a foggy M7 road (not saying she was driving to fast, but for sure it seems like many around her were).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Longfield

A statement like that has be accompanied with at least 50 million of these :D fellas ...otherwise people WILL take it seriously

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Hate to sound ghoulish, but the authorities should publish photos of the carnage, or even leave some of the wreckes on display just to scare the phuck out of maniac drivers.

"Speed/don't pay attention to the conditions and you'll end up with a car like this"

RTE barely showed anything of the fog accidents. Unless you're reading about it in specific interest groups like Boards, most people are still oblivious to what happened. I guess "education" is part of what's missing

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

franksm wrote:
    Hate to sound ghoulish, but the authorities should publish photos of the carnage, or even leave some of the wreckes on display just to scare the phuck out of maniac drivers.

"Speed/don't pay attention to the conditions and you'll end up with a car like this"

The Portuguese police did something like that in Lisbon last year. In one of their main squares they placed about 30 genuine crashed cars, with an accompanying sign telling you what happened the occupants (some survived, some didn't from what I could tell - my Portuguese ain't great ;) ). They also had crash simulators, roll-simulators, driving simulators, fire and ambulance displays, the lot. It attracted a lot of attention.

In the last few years they've steadily and drastically reduced their road deaths, from 1865 deaths in 1998 to 1094 deaths in 2005.

http://www.crash.com.pt/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC they tried to do someting similar here a few years back. They placed (100?) written off cars along the N1 hoping that people would slow down and not end up like that. However, it ended up being a dangerous distraction to drivers and they had to be removed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Longfield wrote:
    peasant, biro, quarryman - jaysus lads did any of you read the post I was responding to ?

The "I'm a great driver with skillez" was trying to mirror the mentality of some of the muppets that don't slow down in adverse conditions like the ones that lead to the tragic loss of a young girls life on a foggy M7 road (not saying she was driving to fast, but for sure it seems like many around her were).

it was sarcastic? Disregard so!!

Advertisement