Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the Primary school Irish book called?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Bun go Barr.....damn that was a while back, i also remeber a character called Aine Asal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

boreds wrote:
    I only remember Ann and Barry, but that was in English. Sorry, not much help.
    Those were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

spurious wrote:
    In primary we had crappy little pictures with sandpaper on the back of them that the teacher used to stick to a screen that had stuff on it that was for all the world like a few pairs of black tights stretched across a frame.
    Sweet baby Jesus, ta me ag totally forgotton all about those!

Every time the teacher left the room we'd all race up and put daddy on top of mammy with the auld madra having a good goo!

In the mid-70's we got projectors...oooohhhh! I remember they weren't 35mm slides, but kind of continous strips of film containing various pictures.

No wonder very few of us have coupla focail to show for 12+ years of 'education' in our very own language, noch a.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badgerbadger

anyone remember the story with "donacha dána" he tore seáns (i think it was seán) jumper
    donacha dána had a red and black striped jumper just like Dennis the menace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I dunno if it was just Gaelscoils, but there was this great series of Gramadach workbooks called "Fuinneoga" with really cool drawings and funny stories. man, those kids were bold and that dad was angry...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Anyone remember the name of the Nature book? There was an article / story about the Saragossa sea and the eels in it!

Another great book was the religion one. Remember having to learn all the questions for when the priest would come in and inspect the class?

Stressful times! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paula1981

luch agus lucy rings a bell im seeing a mouse and cheese on the cover???!! what about spraoi ? that magazine annual thing you had to buy. and diosco na mbo? pol agus a chairde? agh there is another one i cant think of it.. we often have this conversation in work !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paula1981

primary school books

New Treasury
    Footprints
    Time to Share or Love (religion book Zacchaeous the greedy little man)
    S.R.A (a big box on the teachers desk shaped like a house with work cards on it)
    the old pink fallons tables book
    headline copy for handwriting

• Registered Users Posts: 7 love_apple

Wasnt Footprints a history book?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

440Hz wrote: »
    Remember Spórt, with the dog, the yellow puppy.. there was an English version called Spot! Thats going back a few years hehe
    That was in the Tom and Nora books wasent it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

i remember Maths in Action with those funny physedic drawings.
    I also remember the english book with a pirate opening a chest.
    There were some ladybird books and believe it or not they are still being
    printed, saw them in easons, the whole family driving to the seaside in a
    Ford Fiesta Mark 1, plus a Rover p6 police car....and an Austin Maxi...:eek:

I do remember the film strip in the projector, the teacher would spend ten
    minutes on each slide and they had names like Cois Farraige or An Fheirm.
    I sorta remember those sticky things cos one of them had a drawing of a
    Morris Marina.:D

Wasnt there English books like Hopskotch where in the 6th class book, the
    children cycled from Headford to Dublin and this was the only book that
    had photographs of Dublin, out of all the Hopskotch books. I also remember
    an irish book with Maura and Sean.... late 70s.

I have the Geoghraphy books, there was Enjoying Geography 1, 2 ,3 with a mixture of black and white pictures and more silly drawings of tractors chasing sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Man this thread is bringing back memories! :) I was in primary school from 1994 to 2002.

I can remember Lucai Luch, Lorcan Luch and Pol Peist. I can't remember who Pol's other friends (the chairde in "Pol agus a chairde") were though.

For Irish I don't think we ever had Spaslong. We had "Ispini agus Subh" (4th class), "Tine Chnamh" (5th class) and Diosco na mBo (6th class)
    We also had a really boring one called "Tar Liom"

Oh and I also used get the Irish magazines/annuals. I think Spraoi was for younger classes and Siamsa was for the older classes.

For English the most memorable one was "Lion at School" It was either 3rd or 4th class and it was pink. It had many stories, including one where a large wild African cat attends an Irish educational institution for some reason.
    In 6th class we had a really crappy reader called "Time Seeker" or "Time Searcher" or something like that.

I can't remember the name of the religion book but it had a waterfall on the cover. It also had a load of annoying questions in yellow boxes that we had to learn in 5th class before getting Confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hard Larry wrote: »

Remember Busy At Maths with that freaky dude on the cover?

I went to an Irish speaking school can't remember the translation for it.

Hey Larry.... it was called Gafa le Mata!! I went to Irish school too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I think those periodical and annual books went

Sugradh
    Spraoi
    Siamsa
    Sonas

in increasing age groups if I remember rightly.

I don't think we actually had a text book (though may have forgotten it).

Each morning we did this thing called Comhra where our teacher set up an old projector and screen and this story or episode unfolded as she wound the pictures along. There'd be new vocab words in each one and we had to make sentences out of them for homework.

Going back a bit now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

I can categorically confirm "Footprints" was a history book. Ahhh, primary school history class - good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

I remember the name "Peader Pluaise" on some Irish book.

Didn't the Busy At Maths books have a workbook with them. I remember the pages in workbook was that horrible material I hated to scratch.

Anyone remember the copybooks from the 90s with the Hippo on them?

I can't remember the name of the series of English books we had but the 5th standard one had this story on ghosts with some freaky pictures. That set off a few days of ghost stories and sleepless nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nameajaysus

Anyone remember these books?

I think they were red (the books) and there were yellow square headed 'things' with long legs, there might have been a black or blue fuzzy looking monster thing aswell... I had these in Junior Infants, late eighties early nineties time

Not a very clear explanation :rolleyes:

And for English we had these thick books with questions after each story. I think they were white with orange on them. One of the stories was about a boy that was so thin he could fit into an envelope..

For Irish we had 'Gaeilge Ag Obair', a big yellow book

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Not sure of the name but I remember the main characters were Áine & Ronán

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Rainbow series of english books might be the ones the poster above is thinking of.

the first question after each story was "what was the name of this story?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

We had one called 'seal ag leimh' which seemed based in the 50s or something..
    also a workbook called 'lean ag obair' the whole premise of that being 'lion isteach na bearnai' you had to fill in the missing words. Tar liom and Bog liom were there too.

We also had the 35mm projector thing, but that could have been twinned with Seal ag leimh but I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fippy

Hard Larry wrote: »
    I remember those mice alright...late Eighties I think.

Remember Busy At Maths with that freaky dude on the cover?

I went to an Irish speaking school can't remember the translation for it.

I remember just at the peak of the Nineties they introduced us to a book called 'Deco' about a skinhead from Gardiner Street. :D

Damn just had a serious flashback just now to a book called 'Footprints'

Its scary what your brain stores for years.

Busy at Maths

Gafa le mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tif

We had one called 'seal ag leimh' which seemed based in the 50s or something..
    also a workbook called 'lean ag obair' the whole premise of that being 'lion isteach na bearnai' you had to fill in the missing words. Tar liom and Bog liom were there too.

We also had the 35mm projector thing, but that could have been twinned with Seal ag leimh but I can't remember.

I think you are right. I remember us going to the projector room as a treat where one person got to change the slides :) I think it was linked with 'lean ag obair'. it rings a bell for some reason. I remember that there were 2 pages per topic where you had to fill in the missing verbs, write stories etc. and we had to write the whole thing out every week into our Gaeilge copies. The principal would then pick out names from cards to hand up the homework on the Monday morning. I remember any time my name was called out I never had the full homework completed! I don't think I got into too much trouble cos I kept letting it happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fippy wrote: »
    Busy at Maths

Gafa le mata.

Maths wasnt my strong point, I hated that book and I hated that necrofrog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

G Luxel wrote: »
    i remember Maths in Action with those funny physedic drawings.
    I also remember the english book with a pirate opening a chest.
    There were some ladybird books and believe it or not they are still being
    printed, saw them in easons, the whole family driving to the seaside in a
    Ford Fiesta Mark 1, plus a Rover p6 police car....and an Austin Maxi...:eek:

I do remember the film strip in the projector, the teacher would spend ten
    minutes on each slide and they had names like Cois Farraige or An Fheirm.
    I sorta remember those sticky things cos one of them had a drawing of a
    Morris Marina.:D

Wasnt there English books like Hopskotch where in the 6th class book, the
    children cycled from Headford to Dublin and this was the only book that
    had photographs of Dublin, out of all the Hopskotch books. I also remember
    an irish book with Maura and Sean.... late 70s.

I have the Geoghraphy books, there was Enjoying Geography 1, 2 ,3 with a mixture of black and white pictures and more silly drawings of tractors chasing sheep.

I think we must have been in the same class!!! Those kids cycling from Headford to Dublin......stayed awake one night (probably until say 11PM!!!)and read the whole book as I was hooked. It was called 'Trouble in the Mountains'! Don't know why I remember that but I do.

We did 'Comhra' every morning on that projector thing and the excitement when the Sugradh/ Sonas mags arrived......Stop the lights!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LPI

Anyone remember these books?

I think they were red (the books) and there were yellow square headed 'things' with long legs, there might have been a black or blue fuzzy looking monster thing aswell... I had these in Junior Infants, late eighties early nineties time

Not a very clear explanation :rolleyes:

And for English we had these thick books with questions after each story. I think they were white with orange on them. One of the stories was about a boy that was so thin he could fit into an envelope..

For Irish we had 'Gaeilge Ag Obair', a big yellow book
    I remember that English book as well. I remember the story started with the boy coming downstairs and saying 'Hey' to his parents and his father going on saying how hay is for horses and to speak properly. Was it America or someplace he was going in the envelope?

Anyone remember a story from an English book in second or third class I think where there was this pick pocketer and he was really good at pick pocketing. Think Roald Dahl had written it.

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

anyone remember the story with "donacha dána" he tore seáns (i think it was seán) jumper
    donacha dána had a red and black striped jumper just like Dennis the menace

Major flashback. Thanks for confirming that I didn't imagine the bould Donacha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Tons of memories reading over this. Definitely had Tar Liom and Gluais Liom. I bloody hated them (and Irish by then). Also had Rirá and Micí. And adores the annuals! Busy at maths was mine too.

I also remember our geography workbook later in primary school. Discovering Ireland I think it was?
    I remember tears for homework trying to learn off the rivers and mountain ranges in Ireland.

I can’t remember the name of the history book though, all I remember is that there was tons of mythology in it? And it was definitely black and white because we got to do some colouring

And I have an English book stuck in my head that had the story of Helen Keller in it. I loved it and must have read it a million times that year

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

Spotted this at a book stall. I had this in primary school early 80's.

30741047_1241589939304601_9111893171389857792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d2b4faa836f96bda06c6c23ad1801e58&oe=5B6ED1D9

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Science book we used in secondary school, which we used from 1st-3rd year, was a big heavy book with a grey cover (don't remember the name of it though).

Anyone remember a Springboard book featuring a homeless bearded character called Sam McGee?

I also LOVED The Magic Key series of books, which we used to buy from the Book Fair which came to the school every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭threetrees

I was in primary in the 70s and we had English readers by Folens: Pat and Ann, The Red Car, Baby Brigid, then for older classes, The Children of Lir. Can't remember any other English ones.

For Irish we had Lean Den Obair and a projector thing we used to learn and chant off. There was grammar at the end. Oró a Pháid, An Doctiuir Sa Theach.

I also remember oblong religion flippy books that were kept in heavy plastic bags.

Advertisement