Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the Primary school Irish book called?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey everyone...

I was just thinking today about primary school and irish and all that. I'm just wundering does anyone remember what one of the Gaelic books were called..

Was it " Luch agus Lucy" ? about the two mice???:confused: Does anyone remember?

It's really starting to bother me that i can't remember.. Ease My Pain!!

Thanks

xXx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I think I remember that. Was there a worm called Pol as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What sort of time frame are you talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think I remember that. Was there a worm called Pol as well?

That definitely is ringing a bell, time to put on the kettle, it is going to be a long day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I only remember Ann and Barry, but that was in English. Sorry, not much help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

Yeah, Lucy Luch and Lorcan Luch, the two mice, and Pól Péist, the worm.

Woul have been around 1989 when I used it.

• Advertisement

Would it have been on a projector? Now there is some memories. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I remember those mice alright...late Eighties I think.

Remember Busy At Maths with that freaky dude on the cover?

I went to an Irish speaking school can't remember the translation for it.

I remember just at the peak of the Nineties they introduced us to a book called 'Deco' about a skinhead from Gardiner Street. :D

Damn just had a serious flashback just now to a book called 'Footprints'

Its scary what your brain stores for years.

Hard Larry wrote:
    I remember those mice alright...late Eighties I think.

I went to an Irish speaking school can't remember the translation for it.

I remember just at the peak of the Nineties they introduced us to a book called 'Deco' about a skinhead from Gardiner Street. :D

Damn just had a serious flashback just now to a book called 'Footprints'

Its scary what your brain stores for years.

I do remember busy at maths and the wierd guy and also there was a bee on one, I think.
    Footprints rings a bell. Was it an English book? we also had an english book called argos, with a picture of an old ship on it (the argos, I presume)
    Dont know about Deco though.

Did anyone ever get spraoí, suas and siomsa though? I used to love them.

I think we had Solas (actually maybe Sonas?) and Súgradh, they came a few times during the year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Hard Larry wrote:

I had forgotten it until I saw your post. Now I can remember Figure It Out and Maths Challenge as well.

Can't remember the Irish one the OP is asking about though.
    Ruu wrote:
    Would it have been on a projector? Now there is some memories.

Ah, the projector. I think the Irish for it was telegór (sp?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Ruu wrote:
    I think we had Solas and Súgradh, they came a few times during the year. :)

Weren't they some sort of monthly magazines?? I think there was also a Christmas edition :confused:

As regards the National school irish books, I think we had books with an elephant, a monkey and some other animals - I think the monkey was called mickey. Sounds strange now, doesn't it? :D:D

Kojak wrote:
    Weren't they some sort of monthly magazines?? I think there was also a Christmas edition :confused:

As regards the National school irish books, I think we had books with an elephant, a monkey and some other animals - I think the monkey was called mickey. Sounds strange now, doesn't it? :D:D

I still have them here, Mici (monkey), Lulu (elephant) agus Rira (fox). :) There is actually one of them going into a shop and knocking a load of sweets on the floor and the shop keeper chasing them out, what were the trying to brainwash us with?!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

What about Far A or Fas B etc etc.
    Anyone remember those books ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Kojak wrote:

I think you could be thinking of Spraoi! it was an annual released yearly in a combo of Irish and English, I think there was another one (or more) released for the younger/older classes.

I think I remember Footprints - it was a religion book wasnt it ?

I remember those Irish ones now too ! I think that one of the more advanced ones was called Bun go bár ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ciaran76 wrote:
    What about Far A or Fas B etc etc.
    Anyone remember those books ?
    I remember the FAS ones mate. I thought I was the only one who went to a hedge school :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I taught with the guy who wrote Deco - it was based on the kids in our school.

We used to get Sonas and Siamsa annuals.
    In primary we had crappy little pictures with sandpaper on the back of them that the teacher used to stick to a screen that had stuff on it that was for all the world like a few pairs of black tights stretched across a frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Ruu wrote:
    I still have them here, Mici (monkey), Lulu (elephant) agus Rira (fox). :) There is actually one of them going into a shop and knocking a load of sweets on the floor and the shop keeper chasing them out, what were the trying to brainwash us with?!:eek:

Ah, the memories :)

C-13 I think Bun go Bár was for fifth and sixth class, AFAIK :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Had one called 'Ispíní agus Subh' (Sausages and Jam)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

spurious wrote:
    I taught with the guy who wrote Deco - it was based on the kids in our school.

We used to get Sonas and Siamsa annuals.
    In primary we had crappy little pictures with sandpaper on the back of them that the teacher used to stick to a screen that had stuff on it that was for all the world like a few pairs of black tights stretched across a frame.

Thats wicked about Deco! :D

And we had that nylon board with the sand paper pics too!

I remember those Solas and Siamsa magazines...

I'm not 100% but I've reawakened an old memory that is telling me the Freaky Guy in the Busy at Maths book was called Mathso...ring any bells for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Remember Spórt, with the dog, the yellow puppy.. there was an English version called Spot! Thats going back a few years hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Kojak wrote:
    Ah, the memories :)

C-13 I think Bun go Bár was for fifth and sixth class, AFAIK :confused:

Yeah, I found out last night this is the book my brother used in 5th/6th class (he's 18)

All probably published by Folens. Heh. was watching a doco about Nazis in Ireland recently, and the Folen man had a big play in it. Cant remember if he was one or if he harboured them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

This is showing I need to get a life but I used to work selling schoolbooks so know way too much about this to be healthy.

The Irish books were part of a series by Folens, they only really stopped printing them about three years ago and thats a major pity cos the Grammar in Vocab in them was brillaint, the stuff that they've been replaced with is diabolical. The series, as far as I remember it went as follows:

Tus Re - Very Ist Irish Book people would have had it was a an A4 Book with a picture of Lusai Luch in a Hot Air Balloon with the words "Tus Re" written on the Balloon part
    Lusai Luch - Blue Book with Lusai on the front, I think on a scooter
    Pol agus a Chairde - Red with a Picture of Pol Peist and his mates on the front
    Ispini agus Subh - Either Yellow or Grey, can't be totally certain
    Tine Chnamh - Picture of a big bonfire on the front of a Blue Book, was meant to be a 5th Class Book only but the Irish in it was pretty advanced so a lot of schools used it over two years and never got Spaslong
    Spaslong - Grey Book with a picture of a spaceship with fire shooting out on the front

I think there are a few I'm missing at the beginning of the series cos the colours went yellow then red and I think there were a few more than one of each colour cos they were divided into "Ceimeanna" or steps of difficulty. Now that I think of it I think that the whole series might have been called "Dreimire" or ladder.

The Irish Language version of Busy at Maths was called "Gafa Le Mata", as in "Hooked on Maths"!, and they're still in use at some Gaeilscoileanna cos it took a long time for the major Primary School Maths Books in use now, Action Maths, to be published in Irish as "Mata Beo".

Busy at Maths/Gafa le Mata wss a CJ Fallon series rather than a Folens one.

Ok having just shown that I really have no life to know that much about old schoolbooks any questions just let me know - kinda miss selling the things, was one of the nicest Summer jobs you could ever have :)

Do you remember Postcard from the Stars, Stirling? I think I had it in 4th class, it was an English grammar book I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

Not offhand Ruu.

Most Primary School Books are based on Series, especially the English ones so all the grammar books, readers and workbooks will come under the under the one series. The Fallons English books, old and new, are called the Starways series and they used to all have the same characters for most of the series. Do you rememeber Tara and Ben and their dog called Holly. If the book you're on about is part of the series I'm thinking of then they would have been the main characters

Thats fantastic Stirling. Do you know if there is any website that would have these old books with the pictures, for memory lane purposes?

Don't remember the characters at all or the publisher. Would love to see some pics of the old ones as well for those of us who are still stuck in our primary school years. My Mam has been a primary school teacher for ages, must nag her and find out some more. :)

In primary school in maths we had Figure It Out and Busy At Maths but we had bees on the covers, I don't remember any maths character at all. For English we had Peter & Jane, Ann & Barry and I'm sure we would have had some form of text book too. In Irish we had the projector, Anseo Is Ansúid, and Spoit. At Christmas we would get Síamsa. I'm fairly certain for History the book was called Pathways (I remember one of the years it had the dragon of Tara on the cover). Also in Irish class, we had a double side chart called a Glancecard. Basically it was all the verbs with all their tenses, and various other frequently used phrases etc. Geography has completely slipped my mind altogether but I'm sure it will come back to me when I'm not thinking of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Ruu wrote:
    Do you remember Postcard from the Stars, Stirling? I think I had it in 4th class, it was an English grammar book I think.
    I remember that. Definitely an english book, I think it had a bunch of short stories with questions, may have had grammar exercises as well. I'm trying to remember what the Postcards from the Stars story was about. Does a story about an alien that lived in motorbike engine sound familiar?

Yeah I remember Bun go Barr. Don't remember the kids' names but I remember they had a sausage dog called Ispín.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Kojak wrote:
    I think Bun go Bár was for fifth and sixth class, AFAIK :confused:
    I used it from Senior INfants to 5th class. :)

Advertisement