Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Sims

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I know what you mean.

Off topic for a sec, but I'm starting to think Micro$oft=Bloatware.

Installed IE7 there lately, and after a few hours the bloody thing was hogging about 120megs and rising of memory, (with only one tab running-and it scrolled like a bitch too, even though the PC was well able for it)!

I'm on Firefox now, 9 tabs open, and using less than half that.

Pity there's no such option for Flight Simming :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gablin

I know what you mean.

Off topic for a sec, but I'm starting to think Micro$oft=Bloatware.

Installed IE7 there lately, and after a few hours the bloody thing was hogging about 120megs and rising of memory, (with only one tab running-and it scrolled like a bitch too, even though the PC was well able for it)!

I'm on Firefox now, 9 tabs open, and using less than half that.

Pity there's no such option for Flight Simming

Ever hear of X plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I didn't.

I'll have a look at that later, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gablin

Ahhh I don't beleive it!

Another Jane's fan!

Thanks for bringing back some memories....

"Good morning folks, and welcome, to the Black Sea!"

Just wish I could find the CD again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Anyone remember fleet defender? 4 floppy disks of F14 fun!

f143.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

simming since fs98

currently running fs2004 with stock scenery and a bunch of addon planes on this machine:

e6600 2.4Ghz Dual core
    Nvidia 7600GT
    2GB RAM 800Mhz
    Vista home premium

i run it with the graphics cranked at 25 fps constantly unless i use intensive weather, in which case it falls down to 17 or so fps
    turning down autogen helps a lot

addons I like: sf260 by real air simulations
    fsd cheyenne 400ls
    dreamfleet archer, 177, cessna 310. i used to have the 737 for fs2002, best 2d panel ever

all above except 737 have amazing VCs
    i'm gonna get the DF 727 soon, looks slick

also, the spartan.zip from flightsim.com is great freeware too
    i post at the flightsim.com forums, i wrote a few reviews there years ago ;)

fun hobby, i'd love to fly for real but i'm damned if i'll ever afford it.

Stock scenery? Get the Irish addon from www.ifsd.ie :)

Nice graphics card :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

pclancy wrote:
    Fabio you really need to get a 3D PCI-E or AGP graphics card, that will enhance your system for FS beyond belief and you wont get the problems you mentionned. The integrated graphics just dont cut it.

Thanks, looks like when I get a new machine I'll be looking for a 3d graphics card then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Anyone remember fleet defender? 4 floppy disks of F14 fun!

I'd say if I looked hard enough I'd find it around the house somewhere. Could never get the hang of the game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I spent hours with F15 III and F14 Fleet Defender and Tornado. Never could get into MS FS though I have FS2004 installed. Have a few modern sims, Falcon F4, Lock On, IL2 BOB2 etc. But Wings Over Vietnam is my favourite of recent yrs.

• Advertisement

Fleet defender sticks in my mind because it came in the pre-dvd sized box that was big enough to contain 3 huge manuals! It did take a lot of fiddling to work that radar and target system but the joy of knocking down a few Migs from 50 miles away with a few AIM54s then burning in to finish off the rest with cannon and sidewinders was brilliant. It was a seriously buggy game though but my 486 seemed to be well able to handle the graphics. The carrier landings were great too and the AI was well ahead of its time. How did they fit it all on 4 floppies?

Ah memories :)

Funny I don't remember it being buggy at all.

Funny I don't remember it being buggy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Speaking of joysticks... Im in the market for a new one. Anyone here use the X52? I have the X45 and while i love the throttle i gave up on the joystick and went back to the stick on my thrustmaster, The X45 is far too big and unresponsive. I hear the X52 is a twist rudder which suits me but i dont want to shell out on one if the joystick is anything like the X45.

Can anyone gimme a compare and contrast?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I went with the CH Yoke and Pedals, I felt having six axes on one joystick was just too much, so I diteched my joystick as soon as I had the opportunity to try out the CH Equipment. It feels like a real plane now.

I just use a standard, kinda cheap joystick. It does the job without much fuss and I have no intention of upgrading it but I'd say you're prob a more serious flight simmer than I am.

(My very poor video card is testament to that!!)

Anyway's have people here seen the cockpitrs some people build in theor houses to make flight simming all the more realistic? I'd love to do tha someday!

Yeah theres some incredible ones out there, id love to have a door in my eventual own house that opens into the cockpit of a 737! A few cans and some Kai Tak approaches with some mates would be some craic!

I had a mate over last week, who has no interest in either Computers, or Aviation. Stuck the Track IR on his head, and let him loose on Flight Sim with some safetys turned on. He wouldn't budge for 2 hours!

Class :) I love when that happens! The Track IR looks like it would convert anyone to flight sims, looks like a deadly piece of kit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

I used to be the biggest flight sim nut when I was younger. The one that got me into flight sims and into aviation was Flying Corps Gold. I was obsessed with that game. The manuals were as a big a draw for me as were the games. It really pissed me off when PC games starting coming out in console style boxes. The whole dumbing down of pc games kind of killed off flight sims to an extent.

• Advertisement

Ah FS2004 is pretty realistic....try download the Project Tupolev TU-154 and print the 90+ page manual that comes with it.

Once you have it read, try fly the plane...it's so so complex! (and a lot in russian which makes it worse!)

1073777636-00.jpg5189_0.jpg

This is the one that got me hooked. Project Stealth Fighter for the C64, 3 tapes (Which you prayed to God would load properly), and manuals 2 inches thick, which told you all about Aerodynamics, Stalls, and every control on the real plane. To me, a 13 year old, I was hooked. I wish they made games like that these days!

Advertisement