Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Sims

Options
  • 23-03-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Any Flight Sim people in here. I've Flight Sim X at home, on a serious PC setup, and am delighted with it to the point that I'm going to buy the CH Pedals and Yoke. Anyone else simming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Yep! But I'm sticking with FS2004, enhanced with FS Global 2005 scenery addon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

yes ....fs2004, global scenery, joystick. Basic stuff.

Currently on virtual flights around the USA north/ south direction using the flight planner and ATC stuff.

Currently have a 777 parked in Green Bay Wi.:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Like Flutther, I'm sticking with fs2004 for now. I've heard horror stories about the new fs and mediocre processors and graphics setups (P2.4, gig of ram here, coupled with basic graphics card).

How's yours running ned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah nothing serious at all, I have an ancient version of MS Flight Simulator (version 4.0) that I mesh about with from time to time. It is one of the older ones that I use with DOS. I think there were 4 aircraft used in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah ive been mad into it since 4.0, had every version, loving FSX but im trying not to spend much time playing pc games any more now, need to get better on the piano and get out of the house more!!

OP go for the yoke and throttle they're fantastic!

For irish scenery for FSX/2004 get over to www.ifsd.ie they're a cool bunch!

Anyone takin it to the next level with vatsim? Thats what really makes you become a flight sim nerd....virtual ATC!

www.vatsim.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

How's yours running ned?

TBH, not great. My PC should be up for the task, I've 2 Gigs of RAM, a Dual Core processor running at 2.13 Ghz, a half gig video card, and that's hooked upto a Dell 30inch monitor, but instead of running that at it's native 2660x1600, I have it running at 1480x1024 to keep frame rates up. But it's jerky and unresponsive, I might revert to FS2004, I have that on disk too.

Definitely going to go for the yoke and pedals. Here's a question, it should be possible to get this kind of visual range on my 30inch at full resolution, but without having to use 3 monitors. Anyone know what settings I need to change? No matter how much I up the resolution, I end up with the same view of the cockpit, just with more detail, and I'd love to have the panoramic view that this guy has :

TripleHead2Go_006.jpg

Just a matter of zooming out enough? You should be able to get that kind of a view but the three cards/monitors that bloke has just probably gives the wider angle/resolution possible. Not sure though, maybe ask on one of the FS forums on flightsim.com or avsim....

As regards FSX framerates yeah its a killer! DX10 and vista are supposed to make it better, ive never seen it run with all sliders to the best on any kind of current graphics card though....I was averging 25-30 with mid details/1024 on two Geforce 7600Gs/2Gb ram/Athlon 64 4400+.

Woohoo! Zooming out worked! And it seems to have increased the frame rate too for some reason. Go fig.

Nice one. Id say its amazing on that 30inch. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

surprised nobody has mentioned X-Plane

I was toying with FS2004 but this new rig needs a beefier PSU. No gaming until I get one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Are there any il2 flyboys here ?
    Love that sim and can't wait for the Battle of Britain released later this year..

Yeah did play it for a while, probably the best combat sim ive played lock on-modern air combat was excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah IL2 with all the addons, Lock On + Flaming Cliffs addon, Falcon 4.0 AA and with the Super Pack and Free Flight mods, all great sims.

Still waiting for the Black Shark addon for Lock On, 2 years and counting...:(

Just ordered the CH USB Yoke and Pedals. I almost ordered the throttle quadrant too, but I'll hold off a while to see if I realy need that or not.

Nice one....

To complete everything you should get a trackir headset! Id say it would be amazing with your screen. Never seen one in action meself but vids look class!

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-flight-simulator-x.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have a Track IR 4 pro for over a year now and its great.

I ordered mine from www.simw.com good price and next day delivery if order before 12pm.

Its a great piece of kit and makes dogfighting a lot easier. I could not play Lock On without without the track ir at this stage. To do that would be like trying to fly using a keyboard and mouse instead of a stick to me.

It's a pity you're in Dublin Chaos, i'd love to see that!

Never mind, it's amazing. Just amazing ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ive played il2 since the demo but fell off the wagon around about the time pacific fighters came out. just bought il2:46 but the flight dynamics have changed quite a bit and its a good deal trickier. :(

I ordered from the same site as you Chaos, so hopefully I should have the Track IR and Pro Clip soon enough to go with the yoke. I found an interesting site below, where a team of developers are doing their best to render scenery for Ireland to VFR standards, with good models of the Airports to boot :

http://www.ifsd.ie/

• Advertisement

They have a very good helpfull forum as well!

*not that boards isnt supurb, fantastic and amazing in every possible way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I use FS2004 on the following system:

-3.33ghz Celeron Processor
    -512mb RAM
    -VIA Unichrome Integrated Graphics (no great shakes really)
    -15 inch monitor

I am able to run most bars up to full with no real slow down on the default planes. However when I choose cockpit view, (not virtual cockpit), the guages are not very clear and are shown as if the zoom is too high (square steps instead of smooth circular patterns...)

Any solutions for that would be great!!!

As for the IFSD, it looks great and I'll def be downloading that for my FS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gablin

Long time simmer I am, started with US Navy Fighters (anyone remember that?), then USNF97, then Fighters Anthology, then Microsoft Combat Flightsim 1, then a wee break until Microsoft flight 2004. Had Pacific Fighters and Lock On, and recently got MCFS3 and 1946, but I'm not big into those.

Right now it's mainly MFS2004 with Roads and Rivers of Europe, and FS Terrain Europe installed. I used to have all the IFSD stuff installed, and a Boeing 314 Clipper addon which had foynes seaplane base modelled(if you visit Foynes Museum they might have some copies left), but R&RE renders them innacurate. After a re-install, I haven't reinstalled Carnmore (my local).

Question for anyone who knows Galway and flies with R&RE and FS Global, my terrain addon leaves Lough Atalia looking like a huge hill of water, does FS Global do the same? It'd be a pity to uninstall R&RE, since it's the only thing I've found which puts in Dun Laoghaire (I do a lot of flying in big floatplanes).

Also, I've made a few AFCADs of interest (Alcock & Brown crash-land site, Fairway 8 Connemara Golf Club, Foynes, Dublin Port) how do I upload them to places such as avsim.com?

You'd be better off posting them to the IFSD site, they could do with your work to complete Ireland terrain.

Fabio you really need to get a 3D PCI-E or AGP graphics card, that will enhance your system for FS beyond belief and you wont get the problems you mentionned. The integrated graphics just dont cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Here's one I've only ever heard of but not had a chance to try- I believe it works due to Excel 97 having the same engine as FS

http://www.eeggs.com/items/29841.html

Anyone that has Excel 97, try it and let me know if it's true!

Yeah it does work I remember playing with that during boring ECDL classes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Doesn't work on Excel 2003 :(

Ned, did you get your goodies yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahh I used to be full on into Flight Sims a few years ago, I used to review for avsim. It got far too hectic though and I just had to give it up as I was living and breathing the whole scene.
    I haven't played much since then though I have been thinking about getting back into it.

• Advertisement

Doesn't work on Excel 2003 :(

Ned, did you get your goodies yet?

Sure did, got the Track IR, with the pro clip, and my yoke&pedals. It makes a significant different to simming. FSX is still only giving 13FPS with the settings half way though, and no matter if it's running at 1024x768, or 2560x1600, it averages 13FPS. Turn the quality settings down, and it goes to 30, but then it looks like crap. And this is with 2 Gigs of Ram, and a half gig graphics card!

Advertisement