Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baggage fares boycott

Options
  • 21-03-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

The new excess baggage fares are going to really hit passengers in the summer. Aer lingus now only allow you to carry 20 kilos in your suit case and you will have to pay an extra 8 euro for each extra kilo. 20 kilos are nothing, the average weight of hand luggae is 12- 15 kilos alone. People are going to be hammered at check-in with no choice but to pay and extra 90-120 euros each way per suitcase. Boycott Aer Lingus and Ryanair, tell your friends and family not to book any flights in protest for the next 2 months, if enough people do this they will have to make some changes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Good man Don!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Sadly they wont do this and the companies will have another good year. I like to take everything i need on my holidays and when i last did a trip to the UK i had the bare min. I dont like tripping this way, thats why last October the car came with me on the ferry!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

How does one boycott Aer Lingus and Ryanair when their practically have a monopoly of routes out of Ireland?

Even if one was to try to boycott paying baggage charges, unless you are on a day trip it is impossible.

Shame on the airlines.

We have no choice. We have to check in bags and we have to pay for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People bring too much crap with them anyway. 20kg of luggage is a huge amount.

I don't have a problem with the new charges. If they could only stop people bringing those enormous hard-sided wheeled cases on board now it would be even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

Aer Lingus carry on allowance is 6KG! Which is absolutely miserable. Even Ryanair is 10KG.

And I've had mine weighed even when I was carrying just an overnight type bag. Ticketing agents in some European cities tend to be particularly zealous about checking this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭WhiteAp

20kg is loads for checked in luggage. I went on a round the world trip with 14kg in my rucksack.

Tips for getting round hand luggage weight restrictions:
    * Check in online / on the machines: No one checks bag weight when you are checked in electronically
    * Take out some heavy stuff out of your hand luggage, stick them in your coat pockets or in a plastic bag (give plastic bag to some nice person who is not in the queue :) )
    * If still overweight, then just start wearing additional items of clothing from your bags. Everyone will laugh, you will look cool and deny Mr. O'Leary a couple of Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, I agree wholeheartedly.

I saw on RTE's teletext news that the company seemed to justify it because they'd not received any complaints!!!

Well, I checked the phone book and the head office Dublin Airport number is 886-2222, and I urge all Boards.ie users to call and complain/whinge. Let them know customers are outraged with this.

Well, woop de doop, Ryanair are not in the phone book, I take it they want us to contact them via letter (torn up) or email (deleted unansered).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Forget it. They won't be boycotted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

oclugg wrote:
    The new excess baggage fares are going to really hit passengers in the summer. Aer lingus now only allow you to carry 20 kilos in your suit case and you will have to pay an extra 8 euro for each extra kilo. 20 kilos are nothing, the average weight of hand luggae is 12- 15 kilos alone. People are going to be hammered at check-in with no choice but to pay and extra 90-120 euros each way per suitcase. Boycott Aer Lingus and Ryanair, tell your friends and family not to book any flights in protest for the next 2 months, if enough people do this they will have to make some changes.

What could you possibly need to bring on a trip that would weigh more than 20kg? It's difficult to lift 20kg ffs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Maybe we could be going back to the good old days of getting da boat!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If you book an Aer Lingus flight through British Airways, you get free baggage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

testicle wrote:
    If you book an Aer Lingus flight through British Airways, you get free baggage!

Which routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

15-Mar-2007 : AER Lingus has announced its results for the year ended 31 December 2006. The Irish flag carrier posted a revenue of US$1.47 billion in 2006, an increase by 11.3 per cent compared with 2005. Cargo revenues went up 19 per cent to $65.3 million in 2006. Profit before tax decreased by 1.3 per cent from $120.9 million in 2005 to $119.3 million in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Baggage charges suck, but 20kg is a huge amount. Thats almost a sack of potatoes, which most people cant lift without a fair bit of effort. If you cant lift your suitcase, you're bringing too much.

Hold luggage is for CLOTHES. How anyone can bring 20kg of clothes is beyond me. Precious stuff is hand luggage, again thats usually a camera, essential passport stuff, medicines etc, an mp3 player and maybe a laptop. Stuff like that.

Try to carry around six bags of sugar (ie 6kg). Its quite a lot, surprisingly.

Put heavy things in your pockets, they cant pull you for that.

All that said, I would argue that fat people should pay more for flights. If you weigh 75kg you should have to pay more than someone who weighs 60kg. But it'll never happen though because people would be up in arms about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

People want cheaper fares and this is one of the side effects.

I imagine having checked in baggage is a large expense for an airline wrt employees, extra security, baggage belts etc.. If these baggage charges mean a lower base fare then I'm in favour of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

BAH! I was hoping to do my Christmas shopping in Germany again where they have these amazing innovative things called real comprehensive and cheap department stores with proper goods in them rather than tacky gimmicky rubbish that costs a bomb.

On the subject of competition, you've got more choice too than the same old same old UK high street stores (and Easons' for books). You can even buy your English books at sensible prices there!

Of course it's probably not an overall saving moneywise including trip expenses, but it's far more pleasurable (they have real Christmas over there, not just American-style tack) and a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

zoney, I love the bookstores in germany. you can sit in a large comfy sofa and read the book with a cup of coffee. no squeezing between the shelfs like in O'Mahony's in O'Connell St or Easons.

Or the gadgedt shops saturn, media markt, conrad and all of them! not the rubbish shops like dixons or currys with the identical range and identical prices! or the laughter shop called PC WORLD.

my personal advise: shop there and avoid the baggage fee by sending it with GLS. up to 40kg for just 33.20EURO and a 72hr delivery time to Ireland. GLS shops are in almost every town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Which routes?

All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

That's 20kg gross. A proper suitcase can weigh quite a few empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm quite experienced at travelling light. I'd like to thank all those paying baggage charges for subsidising most of my flights :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Or the gadgedt shops saturn, media markt, conrad and all of them! not the rubbish shops like dixons or currys with the identical range and identical prices! or the laughter shop called PC WORLD.

You need to go into Maplin :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a look at how much BA charge for excess baggage on long distance flights !

BTW: anyone know if when you pay for a bike with aer lingus , if it's part of your weight allowance or on top of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

BTW: anyone know if when you pay for a bike with aer lingus , if it's part of your weight allowance or on top of it ?

To US it's included.
    To other destinations it's on top of it.

http://tinyurl.com/2aaxom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks - links don't work cos it's all session stuff
    Golf bags, surf boards, wind surfing equipment, skis, snow boards, bicycles*, sports guns and ammunition (see restrictions for guns and ammunition) and fishing equipment are accepted as baggage under the following conditions:

US flights: Normal baggage allowance rules/restrictions apply.
    All other flights:
    Pay online prior to day of departure: (where possible)
    Fee of €25 / £17 / AED104 one-way**

Pay at the airport on day of departure:
    Fee of €30 / £20 / AED125 one-way**

*Bicycles departing Amsterdam airport must be boxed or bagged. These can be purchased at the airport.

**The flat charge is based on a maximum permitted weight of 15 kilos. If the sports item weighs in excess of this 15 kilos, then a charge of €8/£5 per kilo will apply to this additional weight.

Reminder - BA want the guts of €200 per bag on long haul if you excede your allowance.
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagunacc/public/en_gb
    All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances is charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey.
    Excess baggage charges
    Longhaul £120 per bag or £84 per bag if paid online (includes 30% discount)
    Shorthaul £60 per bag or £42 per bag if paid online (includes 30% discount)
    UK Domestic £30 per bag or £21 per bag if paid online (includes 30% discount)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Thanks - links don't work cos it's all session stuff

Reminder - BA want the guts of €200 per bag on long haul if you excede your allowance.
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagunacc/public/en_gb

but you didnt mention that the BA checked baggage allowance to long haul for economy is 2 bags PER PERSON with max weight of 23kg per bag. Do you really need more than this?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

but you didnt mention that the BA checked baggage allowance to long haul for economy is 2 bags PER PERSON with max weight of 23kg per bag.

Actually, it's soon to be one bag in economy, except to countries where local regulations say differently (USA, Nigeria and few other countries). Still quite a lot, though.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

oclugg wrote:

What do people be bringing with them ? As a family of 5 we brought one large bag with us for five days in Berlin and we still had room for souvenirs (and yummy marzipan...).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oclugg wrote:
    20 kilos are nothing, the average weight of hand luggae is 12- 15 kilos alone.

What are you, a professional body builder? ;)

I rarely bring more than 10kg in my checked in luggage and I find it a very burdensome weight when I do. The one time I came close to going over the baggage allowance was when myself and some friends were bringing a 12-person tent abroad with us.

The people who'll be affected are those muppets with the piles of massive wheelie suitcases who need the airport trolleys to get their luggage straight from their car to the check-in desk and to their hire car on the other side. God knows what they need to bringing with them. Noone needs that much luggage for your average 2 week holiday.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I once had a woman ask me where the rest of my luggage was. I had a small back park and a not full outsized sports bag (including gifts). She said that would cover her make-up. I believed her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I don't really know how much my luggage has weighed in the past.

I can see it now, all the Irish ringing up with their hotel enquiries "Do you have a weighing scales in the room?"

Advertisement