Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Dress shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kateof

Martina05 wrote: »
    I was going to buy mine online, found a good site, bestbridalprices, the dresses look great & as I only have a few hundred to spend they have lots of stuff in that price range, but they don't cut to measure, & I'm afraid now that if I order it'll be like a sack on me. Does anybody have good experiences of dresses online? My friend swears by a China site but I will admit on the day I thought her dress was a bit tight looking around the bust & shoulders
    I really recommend u don't buy on line, I've seen and heard so many awful stories!!
    Try that place in Galway across from the Abbey Church, they have brand new wedding dresses (mine was a discontinued Prnovias) and you can see exactly what you're getting and take it away, there and then. I went to their dressmaker for shortening and she was fab.
    The day is too important to take the chance - especially when you dont have to

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

excellent advice, Kateof!! Was off today so managed to get an appointment this afternoon. Saw a great dress, floor sample but perfect condition. Now, my only problem is, is a long dress suitable for a tiny wedding? I was certain all along I was going to order a short dress online, as its just 20 people at the wedding, then friends & family much later. Once I tried on the long dress today I pretty much fell for it. Its very, very simple but I love it. The only thing is, would a long dress be OTT?

Definately not OTT - It really doesn't matter whether you have 2, 20 or 200 at you wedding, it is a very special day, and you should absolutely wear the dress you feel wonderful in, Go for it Girl, and enjoy the process

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

Yep I'm going to get it, delighted with myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martina05 wrote: »
    Yep I'm going to get it, delighted with myself!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WAY to go Marina, Congratulations and 'pleasant dreams'!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Looking for some advice about going out wedding dress shopping.. I plan to go in January (in Dublin). I believe you have to book appointments - if I was going to visit a few on the one day, how long would you allow for each appt or are they generally an hour or so?

I'm also looking to keep costs down so if you have any suggestions of helpful places that might fit that criteria? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 snowflakebride

Hi All

Likewise I am starting my wedding dress shopping in Jan / Feb in Cork and would love some pointers on where to go .....not sure of the style/colour I want but I definately aint a small girl either so I would be looking for a place that caters for all shapes and sizes

All advice welcome...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi All

Likewise I am starting my wedding dress shopping in Jan / Feb in Cork and would love some pointers on where to go .....not sure of the style/colour I want but I definately aint a small girl either so I would be looking for a place that caters for all shapes and sizes

All advice welcome...:D

Hi ya, did the dress shopping with my sister last year. We went to rice and roses and they were very nice. Also went to a few others but didnt think they were great. One of the not so good ones were in Ballyvolane. Eventually she got her dress in the Ivory Rose in Passage, found the girl Marie very nice and helpful and my sis dress is outstanding! She has all clips and elastics that tie on the dresses at the back so it doesnt matter what size you are, the dresses look perfect. They will then order your dress in your size. Happy shopping!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 snowflakebride

Thanks Cadyboo, I have heard that The ivory Rose in Passage west is good and I remember shopping there with a friend of mine, also Brides of Eire in Clonakilty is my next stop after that...a good few people i know have had success in getting their perfect dress there !

Thanks for the tips !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maroonandred

Hi folks! Just seen this thread and have already posted! Anyone know anything about above shop-it closed down bout two weeks ago according to the neighbours and one of my bridesmaid dresses was in for alternations. Neighbours throught she was operating from home-anyone any idea or heard of her as to how i could get in contact with her. Many thanks i'm a bag of nerves since i heard have everything colour co ordinated with dresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Hi,

Not sure which section is best to put this, but hope it might help somebody.

Everything but the Groom in Waterford is having a closing down sale: Wedding shoes €10 and wedding dresses from €90.
    I didn't go into the shop, so do not know what kind of selection they have left, but I did get dresses for college Law balls over the years, and found then to be very helpful.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

went to barnados in carlow yesterday with my friend thats getting married this year, they had some amount of dresses there in all sizes. she ended up getting her dress there for a seriously fantastic price, bargain!!
    their dresses were all from bridal shops just last seasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Minou

Hi there!

Got engaged last weekend :-).No ring ............No date.....No dress.No venue!! Shame alot of these posts a bit old, anyone out there at 'The Start' like myself?? Going ring shopping in Dublin this weekend and then wedding dress be delighted for any current advise or up dates :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Hi Minou,
    Congrats! :)
    i'm at the start myself! we got engaged at the end of january. my fiancé proposed with a "token" ring so i was able to pick out my own ring. we spent one afternoon looking at rings, and i found one in the 3rd jewellers we looked it....i knew the minute it was on my fingers that it was for me.

everyone was asking had we set a date...so we started looking at venues and this took at bit of time. we've only just decided on a place now, and have set a date (kind of)...pending registrar availablity.

plan on starting to look at dresses maybe next month...but only looking! :o

hope you found your ring ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Annabel Rose in Dublin are having a sample sale for one week only, apparently with up to 70% off

http://www.anabelrose.com/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nelbell

In the same boat myself. Isn't it exciting! I have a bit of time but I promised a friend I'd go shopping for my wedding dress before she emigrated, so we'll be going shopping in a few weeks. Problem is we'll only have a day to spend together to do this, so I was just wondering how long should I aim to spend in each shop as I want to maximise our shopping 'day'! I have an idea of where the shops are and travel time etc, so I need to work out a schedule for the day. I'll post back with my shopping experiences in a few weeks.
    Any advice on a shopping time scale is very welcome! Thanks

Went wedding dress shopping last year with my future sister in law (that sounds scarey ha), and the first day we went, she had booked all the appointments and allowed roughly 1 hour per shop. It depends on how big the shops collection is i suppose, but in some places we spent maybe half and hour!

The next day we went back to the shops that had dresses that she was interested in, and narrowed it down from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Minou

Hi there!So DELIGHTED to see ur response.....so on the beginning we are! Pleasse lets stay in contact!!Sx

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I am reallly tempted to buy online...I don't want to spend any more than €400 on a dress..and there are really gorgeous ones online! But then there's the nightmare of what if it doesn't fit right, doesn't look like in the pic, etc..

Also, I REALLY don't want a train...just a floor-length dress, that's it! All the nice ones seem to have some kind of train tho :( Anyone know can drssmakers get rid of them?

• Advertisement

I am reallly tempted to buy online...I don't want to spend any more than €400 on a dress..and there are really gorgeous ones online! But then there's the nightmare of what if it doesn't fit right, doesn't look like in the pic, etc..

Also, I REALLY don't want a train...just a floor-length dress, that's it! All the nice ones seem to have some kind of train tho :( Anyone know can drssmakers get rid of them?

Marians in Galway City have wedding dresses starting price 250-euro! Was in with my sis and she got a beaut for 395, it was way more to begin with. and they were great to us, really know their stuff. might be worth a try, to take the worry out of it for u?

Jeutonic in Kilkenny are having a sale starting May 3rd for one week.

www.jeutonic.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I got mine in Belladonna Bridal in Galway. Honestly they have beautiful dresses. I was sick of seeing nothing but fussy, strapless numbers or overly funky frocks that only belong on a catwalk. I particularly loved the Charlotte Balbier collections. If you are going there, ask for Cathy. Good luck wherever you go and enjoy shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EimearM

I put my deposit down a couple of months ago. Not getting married until August next year so haven't even gotten measured yet.

I am getting my made to measure in Tamem Michael in Ballymount. Paula the owner and designer is one half of the mother and daughter team that make up Tamem Michael and she couldn't have been nicer.

I went for a 1950's inspired, tea length, sweetheart shape, ivory dress. With detatchable parts for my day look to cover my ..... "pride" in the church.

I can't recommend TM highly enough for customer service. Paula made a huge impression on me and compared to other shops I went to she really gave me her undivided attention and very professional opinions.

I also ordered my veil from TM at less than €60 it was a bargain, considering I was quoted €200 from another retailer.

Hopefully I will be as happy with my dress as I am with the trying and buying experience so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

That dress sounds gorgeous Eimear, and it seems like you had a great experience in Tamem Michael. I might go there for accessories based on your recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I just ordered my dress on Saturday.
    I first tried on THE dress in another shop about 4 months ago (price tag €1,350), took my time looking around at other styles etc & confirmed with myself that it was the one, so then I did my research!
    I emailed the manufacturer of the dress & obtained a list of all suppliers in the island of Ireland that stocked their brand. I then proceeded to email each shop & asked how much they were retailing this particular dress at.
    I got an email back saying they had the dress for €950! That is a whopping €400 difference! So needless to say the dress is ordered & I've saved a bunch!
    I mentioned this to a few friends recently married who had purchased their dress as soon as they saw it & had that 'this is the once/emotional' feeling, & they couldnt get over the amount I saved with simple enquiries.
    So just wanted to let you all know!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I just heard that The Wedding Collection in Kennedy Avenue Carlow are having a closing down sale, they are shutting up their shop Aug 27th & from then on they will no longer sell dresses as they will be concentrating on their online business of accessories, stationery etc. So it might be a good chance to bag a bargain!

I'm not very surprised by this actually. I didn't think they were great with regards selection.

Could you let me know the price range for Tamem Michael? I had a look at their website and saw some lovely dresses, but are they very expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

thanks for that, good saving tip

Advertisement