Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Dress shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Shoves

Ashlynn wrote: »
    Hi Sparkle ref your dress if you look up "just pretty bridal" or "rk bridal" it will give you a good idea of what brand of dresses are sold over there & then it is just a matter of checking shops to see if they stock that brand most of there web sites will tell you what they stock, im going to order mine from just pretty bridal its the Alfred Angelo 1136 tried it on here & it costs 1400 Euro & from America the same dress is costing 450 Euro typical ripe off Ireland :mad:. As for your invites i bought mine in Rathdowney outlet centre in Laois worked out at 8 Euro for 2 packs of 50 cream invites there plain card shaped come in 4x6 or 5x7, i tried them on my printer at home & it prints on them perfectly, going to get my SIL who is very good at art to draw me a cool bride & groom & then ill scan & copy them onto the invites i hope this is of some help & most of congrats on your engagement :D:D:D

Hi Ashlynn

just wondering if you ordered your dress from Just Pretty Bridal in the end and if it worked out OK. thinking of ordering bridesmaids dresses from them - €250 here versus $120 each so huge saving.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Shoves wrote: »
    Hi Ashlynn

just wondering if you ordered your dress from Just Pretty Bridal in the end and if it worked out OK. thinking of ordering bridesmaids dresses from them - €250 here versus $120 each so huge saving.

Thanks!

WWould also love to know if you ordered your dress and if so how did it work out? Fit and quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just wondering, is there any market for second hand wedding dresses really?
    My wife is thinking of putting hers into this place..

Preloved Wedding Dresses

Seems like good savings for those that want to keep the costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know if bridal shops have Christmas/January sales?!

I have been to one bridal shop so far (just for a nosy!) and I guess I didn't realise how expensive wedding dresses were! So I was wondering if bridal shops have a sale when new collections come in for the year? You know yourself - in a recession, affected by unemployment, on a budget.....

Getting married Sept next year BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 squidgy10

chrisr wrote: »
    I would like all you women out there to know off this shop and to stay well clear. Bridle Perfection, It is located in the Omni in Santry.
    My sister ordered her dress in April 2009, her wedding is in 2 weeks and she has been fobbed off so many time after making half a dozen trips up to the shop, just to be told "oh sorry its not here" and would you like this dress (already worn). She has realised her dress will not be in and she is not getting her deposit back to add insult to injury. My sister has been left so angry and upset over this, after all the dress is a huge part. now she has only 11 days now in which to find a dress and get fitted.

Please do not go near this shop if you do not want this hassle.

Chris

Totally agree with this. My wife had the exact same experience, the woman who runs the shop is a disaster zone, steer well clear.

She ordered her dress in this shop 8 months before the wedding. With 2 months to go heard nothing so rang up and was told it was in stock and organized a fitting. Fitting was then cancelled at the last minute (literally 15 mins before appointment) and another was made and again this was cancelled at the last minute.

What followed was 2 months of phone calls, shop visits etc in which the owner just blatantly lied through her teeth every time, "the courier lost it", "they sent the wrong dress", "they sent the wrong colour". She then threatened to cancel the order saying that she wouldn't take anymore from us !!!!

Dress was eventually delivered at 11pm on a friday night with the womans kids in toe and was still the wrong colour but had to take it as had no time left to do anything else.

So in short avoid Perfection Bridal in the Omni park centre if you want a stress free wedding dress experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alterimage

lyndak082 wrote: »
    hi
    had a look at the website, but it doesnt say much about where you are based?????
    the last heading titled CONTACT has all the information, address, phone number, directions..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if bridal shops have Christmas/January sales?!

I have been to one bridal shop so far (just for a nosy!) and I guess I didn't realise how expensive wedding dresses were! So I was wondering if bridal shops have a sale when new collections come in for the year? You know yourself - in a recession, affected by unemployment, on a budget.....

Getting married Sept next year BTW.

December/January is the busiest time for bridal shops (as people need to order 6 months in advance for summer weddings) so they tend not to have sales around this time. I think it varies depending on the store, but there was definitely sales in October last year in a number of shops I visited. Ring around a few that you're interested in visiting and ask them when they usually have their sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blondie_507

It's always good to keep an eye out in all bridal shops as The Bridal Shop in Drogheda has just had a sale on this previous weekend. I got a dress worth over 1050euro, and I bought it for 100euro. They were selling old stock to bring in the new, so it's definately a idea to keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi, my sister just booked an appointment with a bridal shop in Cork. We are new to the bridal shopping, but the girl said there is a 25e consultation fee, is this the norm for all bridal shops? As we have a list of 10 we want to go to, at this rate that will 250e before she get a dress!!

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Hi, my sister just booked an appointment with a bridal shop in Cork. We are new to the bridal shopping, but the girl said there is a 25e consultation fee, is this the norm for all bridal shops? As we have a list of 10 we want to go to, at this rate that will 250e before she get a dress!!

Definitely NOT the norm. I think that Vera Wang in BTs (used to?) charge a e40 consultation fee, but that's the only place i've ever heard of that does this.

• Advertisement

Eerie wrote: »
    Definitely NOT the norm. I think that Vera Wang in BTs (used to?) charge a e40 consultation fee, but that's the only place i've ever heard of that does this.

Thanks for your reply, I could nearly understand the Vera Wang fee, but this is just an ordinary shop. Im very annoyed over it. If it was a deposit that was returned, so as to stop people cancelling i would understand. Will let you all know how we get on and if its awful, I will name and shame them!

I assume it's to stop time-wasters and people trying on dresses in the shop and buying online, which apparently is a big problem for bridal shops these days. Still seems crazy though...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Wedding dress shopping at the moment and havent been asked for a consultation fee from any shop. Have probably been in to about 8-10 different shops! Went into Vera Wang with a friend of mine when she was dress shopping last August and there was no fee there either.
    I was looking at a dress by a particular designer and could not find it in any of the shops and was told by one shop that they could borrow it for a weekend so that I could try it on but there was a €150 charge for that. If I went on to buy a dress from them they would give me €100 back

Thanks guys, am trying to get an appointment with another place for Saturday, and if we do, we will be cancelling that one.
    They told her that people were coming in trying on dresses and never coming back. If she buys her dress there they will take 25e off it.
    Im sorry though, some people might go to ten or more dress shops, they cant expect people to buy in their shop just because they spent time with them trying on dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Cadyboo wrote: »
    T
    They told her that people were coming in trying on dresses and never coming back.

That's called 'shopping'. I don't think they will get much business with this tactic.

Walls wrote: »
    That's called 'shopping'. I don't think they will get much business with this tactic.

That the way I see it too. Have booked somewhere else for Saturday. That shop will definitely be a very last stop for us. Thanks for all your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I want to go wedding dress shopping in the next few months. Does anyone know the best shops to start looking in Limerick? There are a few around so would love some recommendation before I start looking.

Hey guys, just an update about our dress shopping last Saturday. Went to two places and would you believe she has found THE ONE, in the first shop.

So I would like to recommend the Ivory Rose is Passage Cork. Its in the girls house and she is fantastic. Very helpful and honest and has a lovely selection, also a huge selection of bridesmaids dresses.

Also it was the Moderne that was charging the 25e, we cancelled after hearing from you all that it was not the norm, thanks again. Heard that the bridal shop that was on Penrose Wharf a few years ago charged for the appointment and they ended up closing...

Thats brilliant!
    Congrats to your sister!!!!

Was dress shopping again on saturday!
    Was in a shop in Sligo - "Simones" and have to say they were really good!
    The girl that dealt with me, Eimear, was just fantastic and by far the most helpful person I have met in my wedding dress search!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭emarfrog

@ DarkBlonde

Few wedding dress shops in Limerick, very few left in city.
    so city shops first:
    Virjinia's: Big selection, very difficult to browse through. The day I went I felt totally confused and there were a good few people in the shop looking at the same time.
    Butterfly brides: Nice looking shop, but did not see anything at all there.

Outside the city:
    Serocca, Lisnagry. Beautiful shop and set up. A lady runs this from her house. you will get royal treatment here. If I could have bought the dress from her, I would have!
    Bliss, Raheen. Nice selection of dresses, lady there very helpful. Even got me to try a few styles that I had previously not thought of.
    Aphrodite, Newcastlewest: Amazing selection, great prices, even met the seamstress as she called in with dresses and I would have been delighted to buy a dress there if I didn't have my heart set on another dress!
    Aibheal, Adare: This is where I bought my dress. I went back 3 times to try it on and they had so much patience! They even let me go outside in it to see it in the natural light!

If you are headaing to Limerick you may as well continue on to Nenagh, there is a gorgeous shop there called Secrets, and the lady who owns it is amazing, even though I did not buy the dress there, she helped me to find a photographer! I also went to Kathy deStafford in Nenagh. I thought the shop was awful as a lot of the dresses were shabby and even dirty. The assistant was lovely though.

hope this helps. I know everyone's shopping experiences vary, so this is just an account of what I experienced!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 coolusername

Hey.

Just thought I'd let you know about my recent experience in Protocol and the Bridal Studio in Drogheda....

Protocol:

This was the last place I had expected to find a wedding dress - personally I'd associate them more with Grad dresses, or even suit hire. I was passing the shop with a friend, and one of the window displays caught my eye, and we just chanced our arm and asked the assistant, Annette, if she wouldn't mind us having a look upstairs at the bridal section. She wasn't too busy, so after a quick 10 minute wait, she brought us up, and let me try on whatever I wanted.

I had a kind of style in mind, but wasn't too set on it. Tried on some nice dresses (and some...erm...'unique creations'....) and soon had a better idea of what I wanted, and what would suit me. Annette was really helpful for this: honest, no nonsense, and happy to point out the positives and negatives of each dress - letting me know which were flattering, and which made me look like a sack of potatoes! She was in no-ways pushy. And after figuring out which style best suited me, her suggestions were almost spot on!

At the end of the session, I had come accross one gown which was a definite maybe! (A dress I had initially hadn't been too keen on, but after some encouragement to try it on, it really was fab!) I didn't buy anything on that day (though was tempted!), but it definately was an encouraging start.

Bridal Studio:

Soon after Protocol, we hit the Bridal Studio. After such a good experience with Protocol, I was actually a little disappointed with the service here (and this time, I actually had an appointment)! They didn't really seem too enthusiastic about the whole thing, and it put me off a little.

Also, the main difference for me was the fact that in Protocol, all of the gowns were samples, and the assistant was happy to stick pins in the back/sides etc to show me what the dress would be like if it fitted better, to do some on-the-spot quick adjustments, so that you could get the full effect. In the Bridal Studio, however, some of the dresses were dresses that would be sold as they were, so they didn't do this. At all.

I did find one dress that I liked, which was very similar to one that was in Protocol, so I made appointments with both for the next day (to have the mammy's opinion!) - I figured if I had two really stunning gowns, either of the two I would have been pleased to wear on my Wedding Day, I could, after only 24 hours, stop looking elsewhere!!

After sleeping on it, I had one dress that I was thinking about more that the other...and in the end I went with a Tamem Michael gown from Protocol (and Bridesmaid dresses x 3 from the Bridal Studio).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

@ emarfrog. Thanks for that detailed response. I am getting excited now thinking about the shopping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 snlynch

I have been looking on www.lightinthebox.com , fab dress, prices range from €60 to €350, custom made to fit from China. A pal of mine got hers there last year & it fit like a glove, it was stunning, great quality.
    It is where alot of bridal shops buy their dresses in from!
    I am going to go to a few bridal shops, find astyle that suits & buy it on line!
    Def worth a look, its only one day girls!!

snlynch wrote: »
    I have been looking on www.lightinthebox.com , fab dress, prices range from €60 to €350, custom made to fit from China. A pal of mine got hers there last year & it fit like a glove, it was stunning, great quality.
    It is where alot of bridal shops buy their dresses in from!
    I am going to go to a few bridal shops, find astyle that suits & buy it on line!
    Def worth a look, its only one day girls!!

Ive just ordered mine today from www.dhgate.com
    Hopefully I'll be back with a good report soon!

Was also recommended a website www.hibridal.com by a fellow boardsie who had purchased her dress online!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 snlynch

Must look at those sites, thanks
    Let us know how ur dress turns out

Ive just ordered mine today from www.dhgate.com
    Hopefully I'll be back with a good report soon!

Was also recommended a website www.hibridal.com by a fellow boardsie who had purchased her dress online!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 runninggirl

Hi

I got my dress made by Ann Flavin who is based in Roisin Cross silks in DunLaoighre. There was a particular designer who's style of dresses I really liked, and had tried on a few but they were very expensive (over 5,000) (very expensive taste! :D). Ann was able to use a picture of the dresses to create a very similar dress in my chosen style with lace and silk that I picked out.

Her work was to a really high standard, she worked with my shape adding padding ;) where needed, and sliming other areas, the dress fit really well, and got loads of compliments. She was lovely too, and the most important a lot less that 5k for a unqiue dress like no one else will have. http://www.silks.ie/silks/Main/AnnFlavin.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

I was in there yesterday taking some photos for them and they have some fantastic dresses for an amazing price!! ( See below ) these have only been worn once and then donated to the charity. They have a private viewing area upstairs for anyone interested in the brides or bridesmaids dresses. Check the link for more details and its all helping a great charity!

IMGP9655a.JPG

Enable Ireland Wedding Dresses for only €50 in Limerick
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FiCork

These girls here are great, really down to earth.
    They have gorgeous elegant dresses.
    Why cant we wear frocks like these every day!!

http://www.amorebridalwear.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kateof

snlynch wrote: »
    Must look at those sites, thanks
    Let us know how ur dress turns out

I bought my dress on line - what a nightmare!! they said they went by the measurements I sent and I must have lost weight!! maybe I did, but not so much! Then the dress maker couldn't get it right, if it was good on the bust it was awful on the waist, when she got the waist right the bust was awful!! and this on the week of my wedding!!

Eventually - only two days before my wedding!! I bought my beautiful dress in Galway, off the peg. AND it was reduced to 375 - euro, (only because the lace is discontinued) and I love it still. The pics look fab. BEWARE OF ONLINE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

I was going to buy mine online, found a good site, bestbridalprices, the dresses look great & as I only have a few hundred to spend they have lots of stuff in that price range, but they don't cut to measure, & I'm afraid now that if I order it'll be like a sack on me. Does anybody have good experiences of dresses online? My friend swears by a China site but I will admit on the day I thought her dress was a bit tight looking around the bust & shoulders

Advertisement