Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations XV

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think David Wallace is one of the most under-rated rugby players in Ireland. Okay the back row is particularly competitive but to me he'd be the second forward I'd list on any team sheet after POC.

My XV

15. Poitrenaud - I thought Dempsey was inconsistent in defence throughout the tournament plus was responsible for France catching us with quick throws rather than lineouts in the opening match

14. Lamont - for sheer flare and magic. And for looking so totally different from his brother that he proved the officials in the France match need to see an Optician

13. BOD

12. Darcy

11. Strettle - the blondes were on fire this season

10. ROG - leading points scorer, plus a few tries, and some great support play

9. Mignoni - he just got everywhere

8. Leamy

7. Wallace

6. Easterby

5. POC

4. Bortolami

3. Marconnet, would love to say Hayes but too many scrum problems

2. Ibanez (or for a super sub Flannery)

1. Milloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

athtrasna wrote:

My XV

15. Poitrenaud - I thought Dempsey was inconsistent in defence throughout the tournament plus was responsible for France catching us with quick throws rather than lineouts in the opening match

14. Lamont - for sheer flare and magic. And for looking so totally different from his brother that he proved the officials in the France match need to see an Optician

13. BOD

12. Darcy

Please enlighten me as to how one of our most consistent defenders EVER, was inconsistent in defence this six nations. How were France's quick lineouts the fault of Dempsey? He kicked the ball too far?

You pick Strettle and Lamont over Hickie!!!

Any chance you are anti-Leinster?

Nothing to do with Leinster. Hickie was good this season but I don't think either he nor Horgan stood out whereas Lamont and Strettle were exciting in attack. Hickie is a good defender but the days of a 100m dash down the touchline with no chance of being stopped are gone for him.

Dempsey just doesn't do it for me. If he was a Munster player I'd say the same thing. Not all the French quickie throws were from a Dempsey kick but he didn't marshal the ball. I also thought there were occasions where he should have called the mark rather than invite tacklers on himself. I'd rather have Murphy on my team than Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

athtrasna wrote:
    Nothing to do with Leinster. Hickie was good this season but I don't think either he nor Horgan stood out whereas Lamont and Strettle were exciting in attack. Hickie is a good defender but the days of a 100m dash down the touchline with no chance of being stopped are gone for him.

Dempsey just doesn't do it for me. If he was a Munster player I'd say the same thing. Not all the French quickie throws were from a Dempsey kick but he didn't marshal the ball. I also thought there were occasions where he should have called the mark rather than invite tacklers on himself. I'd rather have Murphy on my team than Dempsey.

I am a leinster fan but it is impossible for 2 game Strettle to oust Hickie from the 11 sgirt in this topic. Hickie played 3/4 great games and 1/2 good games.
    Italy he was on fire burning guys half his age all season too!

Hickie is looking in the same amazing form he did going into last WC, just hope he does not suffer an injury this time mid touro!
    He will have a point to provre this WC;)

athtrasna wrote:
    Nothing to do with Leinster. Hickie was good this season but I don't think either he nor Horgan stood out whereas Lamont and Strettle were exciting in attack. Hickie is a good defender but the days of a 100m dash down the touchline with no chance of being stopped are gone for him..

Are you taking the P!ss? Hickie wasn't exciting in attack!!!!
    athtrasna wrote:

I admit I am a big Dempsey fan and have always favoured him over Murphy, but could see some points the Murphy brigade have made in the past, but OMFG after this season, and argueably last season too, I thought this debate was over and done with.

How in God's name could you even consider having Murphy on your team let alone at fullback????

You bring up the French game as evidence of Demspey playing badly, how about Murphy in that game? I don't recall Dempsey ever pussying out of a tackle.

Furthermore, Dempsey rarely gets turned over when tackled, unlike Murphy (remember the matches against NZ in the summer?). Do you remember Paris last year? (not sure anyone has ever played as badly for Ireland as Murphy did that day)

I will admit one thing about Murphy, he has flashes (and only flashes) of brilliance in attack, but that is worthless when you concede two tries in the process. He has played well for Leicester, but in my opinion, he has NEVER performed well for Ireland against decent oposition.

It is an added advantage if a fullback is a brilliant attacking player, but catching the ball, the ability to kick and the ability to defend are even more important. Dempsey has all those traits and with three tries in this years six nations he links up pretty well with the rest of backline too...

• Advertisement

FFS - I'm not the only one not to include Hickie or Dempsey in my XV. Chill people, gave you my team, my reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lets be nice, people.

athtrasna wrote:
    FFS - I'm not the only one not to include Hickie or Dempsey in my XV. Chill people, gave you my team, my reasons.

Your selections... fair enough..... I am just questioning your reasoning.

Fair enough. How about I thought there were better players than Dempsey and Hickie so I put those players in my XV instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

athtrasna wrote:
    Fair enough. How about I thought there were better players than Dempsey and Hickie so I put those players in my XV instead!

Well then we would all know you were completely mad!!!!:p

• Advertisement

Fairly accurate :D But in a good way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

athtrasna wrote:
    I can't believe you have Strettle in ahead of Hickie - someone's been watching too much sky News.

you said that you thought there were better players than Hickie. That is very questionalbe IMO, but what IS certain is that Strettle wasn't one of them. A good performance against France and a singular Try against Ireland .... that's it. Against one of the players of the tournament. If you think that Hickie supplied nothing more than a 100m dash to the line, you really must have been fairly well-oiled for most of the games.

FFS - why is everyone so excited because I chose someone other than Hickie on the wing. Have a look at page 1, he didn't make all the other XVs.

FYI - I never watch Sky news, indeed I've seen next to no tv news coverage of the 6 nations.

As for being well oiled - grow up. Hickie did not impress me as much as Strettle, hence I wouldn't put him in my team. Maybe it's because I'm used to Hickie and the new guy on the block caught my eye as exciting..who knows. Drink has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I just mean that you couldn't have possibly seen his performances in detail, if you believe that all he did was tried to dash up the touchline.

I meant that that was Hickie's trademark, for years he's been odds on to score if he got the ball in space.

I do think Hickie is a good player, like I said, maybe I'm just used to it and expect that of him. I just think Strettle is a more exciting prospect.

Advertisement