Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations XV

Options
  • 20-03-2007 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Well here's mine:

15: Dempsey
    I was always a Murphy fan, but Dempsey is playing out of his skin. His positional sense is brilliant; rock solid and can steal a few tries too.

14: Horgan/Lamont.
    I can't decide this one. Lamont had a mare start but he had fun against us and France. Horgan stay on the wing!

13. BOD.
    Nothing spectacular, but without him even for a few mins Ireland lost the Grand Slam: the French try he was off the pitch, and we lost the championship when he was off against Italy, penalty in ROG's range, IMO since there was no leader on the pitch so we ran it instead of taking it... and that was that.

12. D'Arcy
    Brilliant (with BOD)

11. Williams/Hickie/Strettle
    Tough again: I really like Williams he's quality, Hickie had a great finish to the 6N. Strettle... Good 6N.. Jury's out

10. ROG.
    I'm so impressed with this guy ever since the kiwis blasted him after the lions: "'Kiwis know their rugby and know a lemon when they see one. O'Gara should have painted himself yellow and jumped into a gin and tonic. His kicking was duff, his tackling was duff and he didn't look like he could run a pack of girl guides"
    The Guy has visited the gym allot and has drastically improved his game since then: I think he is defo number two 5/8 in the world... imagine what he could do if the forwards dominated teams like Carter and Skrela have (remember wilkinson... IMO overrated 10... great kicker don't get me wrong but will never have the time he had in 2003 when the English forwards dominated)

9. Peel/Troncon/Mignoni/Ellis
    no idea. everyone but stringer.

8.Leamy
    Yeah very tough call but Leamy is class. Honourable mention to Parisse though.

7. Wallace.
    Rock solid throughout. Class. f**k he is fast (Irish player of the tournament)

6. Betsen.
    Easterbunny played well but betsen has that like sneaky edge.

5. POC.
    People say he was not performing until the England game... BS

4. Bortolami.
    He personally destroyed our lineout.

3. Castrogiovanni.
    Awesome;

2. Ibanez.
    No one else stood up.

1. Milloud.
    incroyable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I think Hickie has to get it given he played all 5 games Williams only played 2 and Strettle also. The 2 correspponding games that hickie played with the other 2 were also his best.

Tough again: I really like Williams he's quality, Hickie had a great finish to the 6N. Strettle... Good 6N.. Jury's out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do you mean Shane Williams at 11 ? He was either injured or woeful.

15. Dempsey / Poitrenaud
    14. Horgan
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. Jauzion
    11. Hickie
    10. ROG
    9. Troncon

8. Parisse
    7. Wallace
    6. Easterby
    5. Alun Wyn-Jones
    4. Bortolami
    3. Villiers
    2. Ibanez
    1. Milloud

I wouldn't pick someone who played half the games, whats the point.

zabbo wrote:
    Do you mean Shane Williams at 11 ? He was either injured or woeful.

15. Dempsey / Poitrenaud
    14. Horgan
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. Jauzion
    11. Hickie
    10. ROG
    9. Troncon

8. Parisse
    7. Wallace
    6. Easterby
    5. Alun Wyn-Jones
    4. Bortolami
    3. Villiers
    2. Ibanez
    1. Milloud

I wouldn't pick someone who played half the games, whats the point.

A brave man leaves Darcy out!!! Id have left BOD out over Darcy if I absolutely had to pick based on who had a better campaign.

Any player ratings in the press I read over the 6N would also have had Darcy rated higher than BOD game for game.

Well here's mine:

6. Betsen.

Eh what? Betsen was awful this 6n. He did absolutely nothing. He's a mere shadow of his former self.
    Easterby has him by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flsghujslkuo

with regard picking players who only played a couple of games, I ask this:

If Carter or McCaw played 10 mins in the championship would they be good enough for a six nations best 15?

A. YES.

enough said.

• Advertisement

If Carter or McCaw played 10 mins in the championship would they be good enough for a six nations best 15?

A. YES.

enough said.

Eh NO !! the point of what you are saying is picking the best team based on the form displayed. If BOD or ROG or Carter did not play any games they cant be picked!If they played 1 game it better have been one hell of a game and the competition poor.
    Otherwise Henson could be picked and JW based on way distant form, they are still techinically available by your rationale. hey JW did play one game why not pick him, ROG would rate him higher than himself even!

Whats your point?

[edit] not you diamond, I was referring to flsghujslkuo [/edit]

Whats your point?

[edit] not you diamond, I was referring to flsghujslkuo [/edit]

I think he means that even Keith Wood is available for selection too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

A. YES.

enough said.

A: NO they wouldnt

- no matter what they did during their 10mins.
    The question is what 15 would you pick on the basis of the 25 games. You cannot pick someone on such limited evidence (or would be foolish if you did).

Of course if you're picking on what players have done in other games - yes to McCaw and Carter, but thats a different question.

Of the players that played in the 6N's.... I think if a player is good enough they should be in a best 15.

Certain players are good enough to be in a best 15. if McCaw had one leg and the other leg hang on by the ligaments and played in a wheelchair for 10 mins he would be better than all the northern hemi options at the moment.

Slight exaggeration but, in short, I think the best players (including past accomplishments) should be included, but I accept your arguments to the contrary e.g. Christian Cullen.

Side point, I still reckon Wood would start for Ireland if he wanted too. (He’s only 35...a yr older than Ibanez)

• Advertisement

Ill sat this and leave it but:

The "best selection" of any competition traditionally ie in the press etc etc refers to the best perfomring players over the course of the season.

Hickie played well for 5 games and (for arguments sake) Williams equally well for 2. who is the choice here? it has to be Hickie based on form over the competition to hand.

If McCaw ( for arguments sake again ) plays 10 minutes then he can NOT be included as this is not long enough to gain a selection to this format.

perhaps if you were picking a Lions/Baba type selection then yes you can pick him but not in a 6N Best selection.

I cant believ I got sucked into this argumenet, I feel like Im in the pub:D
    I think Ill crack one now to add to the feeling:cool:

Eh what? Betsen was awful this 6n. He did absolutely nothing. He's a mere shadow of his former self.
    Easterby has him by a long shot."

what the hell are you talking about... have you ever played rugby: Serge Betsen was probably one of reason they won the tournament…
    He constantly annoyed and frustrated the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

My XV:

15. Dempsey
    14. Lamont
    13. BOD
    12. Darcy
    11. Hickie
    10. ROG
    9. Troncon
    8. Parisse
    7. Wallace
    6. Betsen
    5. O Connell
    4. Bortolami
    3. Castrogiovanni
    2. Ibanez
    1. Milloud

Our backs are the best in Europe, I think most would agree. Only Lamont prevents a green clean sweep from 10-15 in my eyes.

If you were a Northern Hemi coach and you had to pick a team based on players that played in the 6N to play against the all blacks and say, for arguements sake, Carter and McCaw had Irish parents and were willing to play for Ireland and did, but only played 5 mins against Italy: knowing what players they are, would you pick them in your team?

Ok that's enough of that....

Back to the BEST 15 players that played in the 6N ;)

If you were a Northern Hemi coach and you had to pick a team based on players that played in the 6N to play against the all blacks and say, for arguements sake, Carter and McCaw had Irish parents and were willing to play for Ireland and did, but only played 5 mins against Italy: knowing what players they are, would you pick them in your team?

Yeah:D just like the pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

calm down

Jackson%20Calm%20Down.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How do you not get this? Are you slow?

Which players played the BEST GAMES in the 6N. We aren't asking who are the best players overall. Jesus.

Anyway, I thought Betsen had a poor 6N for his standards. Definitely not the no.1 6. Would have Williams and Easterby above them. Mine first one is;

15. Poitrenaud (while Dempsey played great I think a lot of it was down to just finishing - P created more imo)
    14. Lamont/Horgan
    13. BOD (cant think of any other outstanding 13s)
    12. Darcy
    11. Hickie (with Strettle close - gave to Hickie because more games)
    10. Skrela
    9. Mingoini
    8. Parisse
    7. Wallace (with Bergomausco close)
    6. Williams
    5. POC
    4. Bortolomi
    3. Castrogiovani
    2. Ibanez
    1. Milloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Well here's mine:

14: Horgan/Lamont.
    I can't decide this one. Lamont had a mare start but he had fun against us and France. Horgan stay on the wing!

12. D'Arcy
    Brilliant (with BOD)

6. Betsen.

Interesting that you are picking Horgan on the wing when deciding against Hickie. Horgan had a very average six nations: he didn't play against Wales, was poor against France (albeit out of posistion) was good against England (as was everyone else) was dreadful against Scotland (one of his poorest games) and was good against Italy.

Hickie on the other hand played amazing in the last two games. He didn't get much ball against Wales or France, but unlike some of the others he looked very exciting when he had the ball and was very solid in all five games in defence.

I cannot see how you can even consider Shane Williams. An ok try scorer that gets turned over in posession more than any other player in world rugby, so over hyped... Of the 12 first choice wingers on the six nations teams, I would have Williams about 9th best, ahead of only Paterson, Pratichetti and the other Welsh winger.

I agree with most of your other selections but would have Easterby over Betson. Betson had a very quiet six nations and is a shadow of his former self.

What did Hickie do against scotland (except the tackle)... In fact, what did any Irish player do against Scotland.... the worst game I've seen. dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

What did Hickie do against scotland (except the tackle)... In fact, what did any Irish player do against Scotland.... the worst game I've seen. dreadful.

Guess he got man of the match for nothing!!! In any event he did little or nothing wrong and was unlucky not to score. Horgan on the other hand was one of the reasons Ireland only scored one try against Scotland.

May I ask you why you are so keen on Shane Williams. You even created this post on 26/2/2007
    If we want the lions to actually win, then with all due respect to the other nations, the team has to have an Irish spine:

1. Horan
    2. Flannery
    3. Hayes/Vickery
    4. DOC
    5. POC
    6. Best
    7. Wallace
    8. Leamy
    9. Peel
    10. O'Gara
    11. Williams
    12. Darcy
    13. BOD
    14. Horgan
    15. Morgan

when he had only played the one game. What someone has done in the past (I still argue that Williams has done little or nothing) is not indicative of how good they are now. Williams has been poor for the six nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I didn't think Williams did much this Six Nations. He was awful on Saturday, had terrible lines of running and made some really poor decisions. For someone of his ability he wasn't on good form at all and I wouldn't have him on my bench let alone my starting XV.

Amz wrote:
    I didn't think Williams did much this Six Nations. He was awful on Saturday, had terrible lines of running and made some really poor decisions. For someone of his ability he wasn't on good form at all and I wouldn't have him on my bench let alone my starting XV.

His lack of vision ( or white line fever ) cost wales many tries V eng, it was also critically singled out by Davies on the Beeb.

Also he gets turned over like a rag doll under an inquisitive dogs snout!

Amz wrote:

His lack of vision ( or white line fever ) cost wales many tries V eng, it was also critically singled out by Davies on the Beeb.

Also he gets turned over like a rag doll under an inquisitive dogs snout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭loadabollocks

i thought ROG had a poor tournament......missed a lot of kicks for touch, looked quite vulnerable, missed a loada kicks in the italy match too. i think skrela and pez (the little i saw of him looked decent enough) had better tournaments.

who was that guy who came on for france against scotland? he looks class.

i think dempsey runs wallace close for irish player of tournament. im a leinster fan and i hate him usually but god did he have a good 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd agree with the view that ROG had a poor enough tournament with his out of hand kicking.Admittedly against England and France he was in Croker with it's somewhat unusual dimensions but over the course of the tournament his tactical kicking lacked it's usual precision.An area he needs to tighten down before the WC.That said i thought he has become a much more dangerous attacking player and his distribution was excellent.Some of the passes in the England were amasing,rifling the ball flat at top pace.Great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

A brave man leaves Darcy out!!! Id have left BOD out over Darcy if I absolutely had to pick based on who had a better campaign.

Any player ratings in the press I read over the 6N would also have had Darcy rated higher than BOD game for game.
    D'Arcy has got to be player of the Tournament. He was immense in everything he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

davyjose wrote:
    D'Arcy has got to be player of the Tournament. He was immense in everything he did.

I agree about D'Arcy being the player of the tournament. They way he manages to break the gain line nearly every single time he gets the ball is amazing. Popey said it one day aswell, wondering how such a relatively small fellow can break through tackles with monotonous regularity. He defies all logic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

who was that guy who came on for france against scotland? he looks class.

Beauxois. A promising 21 year old.

D'Arcy player of the tournament are you f**kin kidding me:

he is a great player but as he showed when O driscoll wasn't playing he looked ordiary... don't get me wrong together they are the best but I think Ireland's midfield could survive without D'arcy and wouldn't with out BOD. His influence on the Irish team is immense... is BOD player of the tournament. No.

That honour without doubt has to go to *Drum roll* Wallace. David Wallace was once outstanding on the open side in the back row for every game. The man is class. I know certain parts of Ireland don't appriciate good forward play and prefer back play but open your eyes people HE IS CLASS. I'm going to say he's the no. 2 wing forward in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

D'Arcy was player of the tournament imo.

Advertisement