Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

According to CTYI Lore...

Options
  • 14-03-2007 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

... it will be a good year if CTYI coincides with the launch of a Harry Potter book.

This year will be the last time a Harry Pooter book will be released. I'm a Nevermore, so I'm not sure if it's being released during CTYI (21st of July), but at any rate I'd say there'll still be people skipping the discos to finish it.

Anyway, what I'm asking about are the other 'good years' of CTYI. I don't know how many of the other 6 books were released during CTYI. I was only there for one of them; the 6th one. The experience of watching people lean against walls everywhere from the canteen to Res reading the same book was a bit bizarre. Every now and then, people would burst into tears as they reached page 596. It was like living in the '60's. Not very like living in the '60's probably, but I wasn't there, so I've decided that it was.

So what was it like when the other books were published? Was there as much hype? And what will it be like this year...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rawr-im-a-lion

Haha, I was one of those people who skipped the disco. But I didn't cry at page 596. I'd been into the series a long time ago, but now that it's taking so damn long between the release of the books, I've just lost interest, and really only keep reading so that I can actually find out what the conclusion is, since it's taken years already.

I'm fairly sure CTYI '07 will be a good year though. But we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

I checked the official CTYI website (it sucks..), and the book will be coming out on the first Saturday of Sess 2. Which means the good people at the bookshop in Omni Park are going to have to batten down the hatches again.

There was a great quote for someone in '05. "Imagine how they felt. The day the new Harry Potter book comes out, and here comes Nerd Camp on their day off."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I remembr John Bowler accidently let slip what happens on page 596 to Aonghus Collins and Aonghus nearly throttled him and was pissed off for days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Back in '05, I decided my time at CTYI was precious and that I'd read it after. Then my roommate told me about page 596. Damn you Guy. Damn you to Hell.

Also, two new threads in one day. Way to breathe some life into this normally-comatose forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, someone revealed it to me during the session... so I didn't bother actually reading the book until a week ago. Good book. Bastard end-ruiner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Piste wrote:
    I remembr John Bowler accidently let slip what happens on page 596 to Aonghus Collins and Aonghus nearly throttled him and was pissed off for days :p
    I'm still a little pissed =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Jack Lynch wrote:
    Every now and then, people would burst into tears as they reached page 596.

No way! Never saw that. I'll read the book, didn't last time, will kill anyone who ruins the plot but I'm sure there'll be lots of that, considering it's the last book and everything. I think it'll be kinda emotional for me cos it'll be my last year and then that'll be the last harry potter book.......all my beautiful nerdiness will be finished for me! Nah, I think it might be a bit annoying tbh if everyone's reading instead of talking, but I doubt that'll happen tbh.

I finally read the last half of the book while lying on a trolley on st. Vincents (yes I was one of those famous "people lying on trolleys" the media are always harping on about) so the moment was a bit lost on me by my IMPENDING SURGERY.

Piste wrote:

That happened to me too, as it happens. Not John Bowler, but I was walking into someone's room just as he said what happens on page 596, and I ran over and caught him in a headlock. The unfortunate thing was, he hadn't got to that page yet. The guy next to him was reading the book and had just told him. So not only did he have the book ruined, but when he repeated it in awe, he was nearly killed.

Sorry Dominic.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

yea... My roommate spoiled me. But, it WAS fun annoying and omni book people. "Hey... Do you have this book called... what was it called... Larry Sotter? Harry Potter. Thats the one. D'ya have it?"
    "No, sorry, we are all out."
    "Ah. I will come back in a few hours then"
    "Em...."

Also, was that the year where some bad bad radio presenter spoiled it for all his/her listeners? bad person.

• Advertisement

I didn't hear anything about the radio presenter, but there was somebody who wrote what happens on page 596 on a white T-shirt. Tut, tut, tut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

S**** I forgot Dumbledore died :(

I'd say 'Haha, that was so gonna happen...' but what's the chances of someone who didn't know that even finding the thread...

I'm glad somebody said it. Saying 'page 596' over and over again was getting boring.

Was there any hassle when any of the other books came out? She seems to kill off someone in each of them, so there were probably a few toes stepped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ah ill prob jus wait for the movie anyway....

That could end up being the next evolution of 'CTYI Lore'; it will be a good year if CTYI coincides with a Harry Potter film launch. I know the first film came out at Christmas, so that one doesn't count.

I thikn hey all have come out around Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Wrong. The third came out at the beginning of the secondary schools summer holidays, 2004 it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Piste wrote:

I was present at the event. Gave him a very solid kick to the ribs. I think John fell of the chair (he was leaning back at the time).

Aonghus was not a happy dude.

Someone ruined the ending for me too, though I'm not quite sure if it was a specific person or just everyone talkin about it, but I knew what happened. I didn't really mind though, I don't take HP that seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

Yeah, my beloved father got a bit confused about ordering it so it came later than he expected (he thought it would be on or near the release date, I think, and it was a few weeks later). And I was away when it arrived. So at home, my father was reading Harry Potter. Where I was, doing a course in Galway, my roommate was, every night, reading Harry Potter. And poor I was not (I was just staring at your one's book with puppy eyes). And then one day somebody who hadn't read it was whingeing about Dumbledore and she had heard but didn't know for sure and I tried to put it out of my head until I read it, but it was a bit like pretending you hadn't heard about Santa Claus.

But us S1ers don't get HP and CTYI at the same time even when they happen in the same year.

It wasn't that take HP seriously, I get irked when things are spoilered for me in general. Didn't you hear how pissed I was when someone told me Jesus dies at the end of the passion of the christ?

We were watching Jesus of Nazareth in religion and when they have the scene where the people pick Barrabus to be freed over Jesus, the whole time I was just going "come on jesus, you have super powers, you'll win!"...

Raphael wrote:
    It wasn't that take HP seriously, I get irked when things are spoilered for me in general. Didn't you hear how pissed I was when someone told me Jesus dies at the end of the passion of the christ?

He does?

Ok now I'm pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Piste wrote:
    He does?

Ok now I'm pissed.
    He'll be back, I've heard they're making a sequel.

'Re-discover the Passion this summer'

'Passion 2; this time, it's personal'

'Heeeeere's Jeezy!'

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mocha One Sugar

nah, i waited til after the session to read it...
    spent two whole days reading and then dropped dead from post-CTYI fatigue..
    awh man!

Raphael wrote:
    Yea.... Example. Micheal and Evo's Wingin' it.
    Without even saying spoiler alert, somebody shouted
    WASH DIES!

(highlight the black. If you have not seen the movie-film Serenity, but are going to, don't highlight)
    That really sucked.

If someone had spoiled THAT for me, I would have broken something. Probably a part of them.

• Advertisement

I would have, but I couldent, what with them being in the USA.

Advertisement