Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycles & deadly cable barriers.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The rider passed away as a result, just under the photo you can see the word ‘Fatal’ mentioned.

And the piece starts with "A man was killed..."..dont be so pedantic..doesnt suit you..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

And the piece starts with "A man was killed..."..dont be so pedantic..doesnt suit you..;)

You don't know me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

You don't know me :D

I'm starting to tho......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is gas though, Ive seen them repairing perfectly good barriers on the bridges of the M50 putting new railings in with incorporated squared mesh, presumably to stop any debris from an impact going out to the road below.

They shape cars impact zones to insure pedestrians have a change at survival.

The put in water barriers at exists and slope side barriers upwards so the vehicles continue to travel forwards.

Yet they are allowed to install cheap body slicing wire across all of the road networks insuring the immediate death of any rider that comes in contact with it.

Its perplexing....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

fatty pang wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/traffic-chaos-on-m1-after-biker-is-killed-in-crash-with-truck-37265808.html

The bike is wrapped around the cable barrier. It's not clear from the report how the rider died but it's quiet likely he didn't end up that far from the bike.

That photo shows exactly what your up against with cable barriers, their on the mallow to cork road for a nice stretch to. A Garda on a bike crashed into them last year I think.
    I hate them I’d would say they would turn a fall from a few broken bones in severed limbs fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    That photo shows exactly what your up against with cable barriers, their on the mallow to cork road for a nice stretch to. A Garda on a bike crashed into them last year I think.
    I hate them I’d would say they would turn a fall from a few broken bones in severed limbs fairly quickly.

Spot on about the Garda in Cork. He lost a bit of blood after that apparently. How are those things deemed appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Spot on about the Garda in Cork. He lost a bit of blood after that apparently. How are those things deemed appropriate.

I’m told they replaced the old wire with new stuff along the cork road lately. Given the choice in a fall I’d take my chances with oncoming traffic over the wire.

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    I’m told they replaced the old wire with new stuff along the cork road lately. Given the choice in a fall I’d take my chances with oncoming traffic over the wire.

It was replaced over the duration of late 2015/early 2016. I'd rather a solid concrete barrier than the cheese wire anyday, but that would cost too much they'll say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It says clearly in the article that the biker died after a collision with a truck, and not a cable barrier. The bike ended up in the cable, presumably after parting company with the rider.

Given a choice between getting caught by a cable barrier and something solid (and moving like other traffic) give me cables every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

I'm deliberately not quoting anybody here and I don't think it's appropriate that anybody discusses the exact circumstances of that bikers death.
    Condolences to his family.

• Advertisement

Another Biker passed away in Waterford overnight.

Thoughts are with their famiies.

R.I.P to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Another Biker passed away in Waterford overnight.

Thoughts are with their famiies.

R.I.P to both.

Yes.
    22 years old, hit a barrier.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

listermint wrote: »
    It is gas though, Ive seen them repairing perfectly good barriers on the bridges of the M50 putting new railings in with incorporated squared mesh, presumably to stop any debris from an impact going out to the road below.

These works were to increase the containment level of the bridge parapets so that if a truck crashed into them it wouldn't end up on the carriageway below.

While I am fully on board with the campaign against use of wire-rope barrier, it is no longer the barrier of choice for most scheme types. Solid concrete barrier is preferable in the long term as it is much cheaper to maintain. As far as I'm aware it is the uprights of the wire-rope barrier that pose the most hazard to riders, not the actual cables.

The standard steel rail barriers can be just as lethal for bikers as the uprights that hold up the rail are fully exposed and can sever limbs etc if hit at speed. This is relatively simply addressed by the inclusion of an additional rail beneath the existing one, which is far more forgiving to any errant riders.
    See for examples:
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=motorcycle+friendly+barrier&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-gbIE791IE791&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirw8j5zO_dAhUGaFAKHcV3D3IQ_AUIDygC&biw=1680&bih=908

Advertisement