Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi Everyone,

BookClub meeting this evening @ 7:30, Bar No 8. The barlady told me on Saturday night that they have some kind of Elvis impersonator on there this eve also (unless I completely got my wires crossed???). Hmmmm. Should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

So are we going to discuss the book using our best Elvis impersonation so we fit in?

Brilliant:D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Bump!

This is on tomorrow night in Bar No 8 on the docks... new members always welcome!
    I'll tip along this evening ... I'll get some opinions for the book off Google seeing as I haven't read it :)

ciotog wrote: »
    I'll tip along this evening ... I'll get some opinions for the book off Google seeing as I haven't read it :)

And get some Elvis lyrics while you're at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

Hi all,

The book that I would like to pick for Tuesday April 29th is

The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Swan-Benjamin-Black/dp/033045403X

Happy reading ;)

Benjamin Black a.k.a. John Banville

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi All!

Here's an update from the 4th Book Club meeting, which was held on Tuesday 18th March at 7:30pm in Bar No. 8.

Attendees:
    TristanP
    Sandra
    James
    Karl
    Hugh
    Hazel
    Paul
    Ann Marie
    Caitriona
    Matt

The book up for discussion was 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon.

The general consensus was that the writing style was very impressive, and provided a wonderful insight into the thought processes of someone with Asperger's Syndrome. Some felt that the book promoted empathy and understanding, whereas before there might have been apathy, even fear, of sufferers.

It was felt by some that the storyline itself was not especially riveting, though it was agreed that the focus of the book was in relating the feelings, or lack thereof, of the central character when confronted by everyday tasks and circumstances. The story arc itself, while delivering massive external change in the characters life and understanding, took a back seat when it came to examining the central characters own internal cognitive patterns.

And TristanP got confused by the maths problems!

So the book didn't prove especially controversial, but most thought it a worthwhile read.

Sandra won the raffle from Matts kindly volunteered hat, and she has chosen 'The Silver Swan' by Benjamin Black.

So for now it's onward to 'The Motel Life' by Willy Vlautin, see you in two weeks, and in the meantime happy reading!

hh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I missed on account of being in Sligo. Such a waste reading a book if I can't meet about it!

For the Motel Life - will a bookshop here order a book for me (and then I can pick it up in store?) Do they do that here?

Hi Tristan,
    I've done that before in bookshops but I think it takes a while. I suppose you do have just under two weeks. I'm half way through mine so if you like I can lend my copy to you as soon as I'm done.

I just hope Sligo was worth it;)!!!

• Advertisement

was he on a promise;)

I may have to hit ya up for it. I'll ask a bookstore and see how long it takes them to order it.

I actually rather liked Sligo, though I don't think I'd be up and moving there. Granted I spent half the time playing the Wii with my mates, so I don't know why I had to go up there to do that.

Matt, if you don't mind I'd like to borrow you're copy when you're done with it (think you mentioned you were nearly through it at the last meetup).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

"If, like me, you're tired of the same old pub, club, supermacs social scene of galway"
    Hits the nail on the head. The utter boredom of that version of galway.

Hi Everyone,

This is just a reminder that new members are always welcome at BookClub so here are the details again:

Venue: Bar No. 8 (on the docks)
    Time: 7:30pm every 2nd Tuesday.
    Next Meeting: Tuesday 1st April.
    Book being Discussed: The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin.
    Book nominated for meeting, Tuesday 15th April: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (which I just got in the Westside Library:))

Hope this is a help if anyone is interested.

Okay, haven't gotten book. Can I borrow?

I'm struggling to read this one (I know I chose it) work is super busy right now and finding the time is proving difficult.

tristanc wrote: »
    Okay, haven't gotten book. Can I borrow?

Just finished it yesterday so I can lend it to you today Tristan. I should be in town this afternoon at some stage. Will you ba around or could I leave it in R. Square for you?

MattKid wrote: »
    I'm struggling to read this one (I know I chose it) work is super busy right now and finding the time is proving difficult.

Carry it with you everywhere and read it when you get half an hour or even twenty minutes. The chapters are short so you should be able to knock one off even if you've only 5 minutes (anyone order a double entendre?). At the least a concerted push over the weekend should finish it for you, I started it last thursday and finished monday, and that was not by over exerting myself believe me!

Just finished it yesterday so I can lend it to you today Tristan. I should be in town this afternoon at some stage. Will you ba around or could I leave it in R. Square for you?

I'm around - I'm heading to the tax office and then to spend the security deposit I just got back (yeah!) on festival tickets. I can meet ya somewhere, or red square would be grand (or actually the hotel next door eyre square might be a better bet).

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'll drop it into reception desk in hotel for you. Will be in around 7 I think

Awesome, thanks. I will be roaming the area with a pint in hand at a yet to be determined location.

TristanC... did you get the book, I dropped it into reception on Friday night?

Yes, sorry, many thanks. It seems to be one of those cheerful, uplifting tales.

Good good.

A reminder to all that the Book Club is on tonight at 7:30 in Bar No. 8 on the Docks, the Honourable Pope Buckfast XVI presiding.

New members always welcome... :pac:

Ill be a wee bit late Mr. Buckfast but I'll get in as quick as I can. Hopefully it will be an Elvis impersonator-free zone tonight

Won't be along tonight - didn't get to pick up the book. Might be awhile before I get to another one as I'll be off to Canada for a couple of weeks, shortly.

Ill be a wee bit late Mr. Buckfast but I'll get in as quick as I can. Hopefully it will be an Elvis impersonator-free zone tonight
    ciotog wrote: »
    Won't be along tonight - didn't get to pick up the book. Might be awhile before I get to another one as I'll be off to Canada for a couple of weeks, shortly.

You're both banned from the book club, you and your children and your childrens children... for 2 days...

Anyone want to borrow the next meetings book as I won't be able to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

Hi guys,

Was there any progress on the idea of having another meeting on a different night?

Thanks
    D

Advertisement