Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying for neighbour's electricity

Options
  • 10-03-2007 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

We've been renting our apartment for a number of months. It's in a converted georgian house.
    Our last two esb bills were very high. (the ones before had been based on estimates). The most recent one was for 485 euro for two months. Two people working during the day and not usin much.
    We turned off everything in the house and looked at the meter. It was still going around faster than any of the other meters. We went on holiday fo a week then and took readings before we left and when we returned. The meter reading was much higher when we returned.
    We noticed a timeswitch in the hall outside our flat, which was set to always on. We turned it off. We stopped having hot water.
    This morning our next door neighbour had an electriian round to investigate why she had no hot water. The hot water for her apartment is from the same timeswitch.
    There is also a switch board for power beside the timeswitch. I turned thigs off one by one util everything in our flat had no power. Then i went and looked at the meter. It was no longer going around.
    The girl next door came out and said her power had just gone off.
    I told her what i was doing. She said that when she moved in the landlord's agent had told her to register with the esb. The esb said her apartment didn't exist. The landlord's agent then told her that her esb was covereed by the landlord and her apartment didn't have its own meter.
    But now it seems pretty clear that her esb is not being covered by the landlord, who seems to be a major investor with numerous properties (according to google) and at least one hotel (according to his agent). Her esb is being covered by us!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That is very good of you ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fair dues to you, very charitable!

on the serious side, she musn't have a supply direct to the apt so it isn't
    going to be easy to add one. not sure it is going to be a quick fix for you..

I presume you have the same landlord? Kick up a fuss in a hurry and see
    what he comes back with. You should get money back off him and get him
    to get something sorted or else pay your bill (with hers) from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I would go mad if I was in your position. It's hard to work out who has been using how much electricity so I would expect as least half the bill to be returned to me by the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

feckin landlord, if he doesnt do something in a week, ring ESB and tell them you no longer want electric, get it cut off, preferably when you're going away for a few days, and force the git to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Besprechen wrote:
    feckin landlord, if he doesnt do something in a week, ring ESB and tell them you no longer want electric, get it cut off, preferably when you're going away for a few days, and force the git to act.
    not ideal if you have a freezer full of food.

if the landlord has a deal set up with the neighbour then he should be reimbursing you with half of all your bills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

We're using much less than half the amount of electricity we've being billed for.
    I sent the landlord an email adapted from the original post. I'll ring him later when i have credit in my phone. I said we need this sort out and our money repaid.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if your neighbour was going nuts with the lecky since she knew she wasn't going to have to pay for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think the only option is for the landlord to pay ur esb get it included in the rent coz i think it will be a fairly big job to get it sorted in the other flat.if i was u i wud turn everything off on the way to work in the morning that way u not payin for someone else and if it affecting the other flat the landlord mite act bit quicker if there a few people on his back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I second that. Put a lock on the fuse box and turn it off. When the neighbor pesters the landlord enough about having no electricity he'll do something.
    They cant do anything to you for turning off your own electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may be a situation of theft here, although its usually the ESB is the victim, in this case its you.

Heard a story of a guy in Italy who started pulling fuses when he got his electricity bill. All the street lights went off.

• Advertisement

I've been in touch with the landlord. He says this is all news to him - which I'm inclined to believe. The flat had previously been used for short-term corporate lettings, where the esb would have been covered by the landlord as a matter of course. His agent, who had been working for him directly (not part of an agency), had asked our neighbour to register with the esb when she movede in, and it was he who then said the esb was covered by the landlord. Which was probably an assumption on his part when he was told the flat was not registered with the esb.
    As regards turning the power off at the source when we are at work: The fusebox is in the hall, and I think that it would be unfair to the neighbour.
    Anyway, the landlord is coming around to the flat shortly, and my gf has taken a day off to be there to show him how things are. Hopefully the girl next door will be there - since if she's out and has nothing on then it might be difficult to demonstrate.
    As far as it being theft - it's only theft if he's doing it intentionally, as I understand it - and so far he's been quite reasonable to deal with. I don't intend to "get nasty" unless he does first.
    Thanks for all your responses so far.

Incidentally, I posted a link to here in the legal discussions forum, where there is discussion on the legal viewpoint of the issue:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055064026

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

where is the meter? In the hall or your apt?

The meter is in the hall (beside the front door). we are on the second floor

The landlord came to the flat and saw the way things are this morning. My girlfriend was there to meet him
    He gave us a 500 euro cheque to cover the current bill (485).

This is what he said to my gf:
    He's going to find out how much 2 bedroom flats generally use (we live in a one-bedroom flat). He will cover the difference between our bill and that estimated figure. We will cover 70% of the estimated bill. This will be backdated. From now on the neighbour will cover 30% of the esb used on the floor. I don't know if he meant that he would cover the excess from "normal" bills in the future as well - apparently this seeme dto be what he was saying. He talked to the neighbour and asked her to be frugal with electricity use from now on.

I'm not particularly happy with this suggestion. I'd rather just pay our own esb bills. The 70-30 ratio is unfair, since the neighbour uses far more electricity than we do. all parties seem to acknowledge this and there is no reason to assume she will suddenly start using half the amount we do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I have seen devices in the electrical suppliers which calculate the amount of electricity consumed in specific parts of a building. They are relatively inexpensive. He should buy one for you. This corporate let business sounds like rubbish. Where are his bills for this? If he has bills he would have had an account which could be re-activated. The reality is that your flat was being billed for it, and he must have known about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

To be honest I wouldn't except that he did not know about it.... He was very quick to hand over €500 for something he knew nothing about...

At the end of the day he is the landlord and it is his responsibility to make sure all the wiring is up to scratch & safe before renting out either appartment, ignorance is no excuse, he has a duty of care to those who rent off him.

I think at this stage he should be getting a survey done of the electrical wiring for the complete building, god only knows what way the 2nd appartment was added to the wiring...

Jo King: Do you have a link for one of those devices please? I suspect they might be difficult to wire in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

pwd wrote:
    The landlord came to the flat and saw the way things are this morning. My girlfriend was there to meet him
    He gave us a 500 euro cheque to cover the current bill (485).

least he should do but as another poster pointed out that was surprisingly quick

but at least it confirms what we thought

This is what he said to my gf:
    He's going to find out how much 2 bedroom flats generally use (we live in a one-bedroom flat). He will cover the difference between our bill and that estimated figure. We will cover 70% of the estimated bill.

if i'm reading this right that seems fair

70% of estimated not 70 % of acuall estimated bills in two be apts will be quite small

This will be backdated.

so will you be getting a rebate? fair again

From now on the neighbour will cover 30% of the esb used on the floor. I don't know if he meant that he would cover the excess from "normal" bills in the future as well - apparently this seeme dto be what he was saying. He talked to the neighbour and asked her to be frugal with electricity use from now on.

pwd; i'd just assume that he means he'll be covering the excess from your 70% of estimated and her 30% of total draw up a document to that effect and get all parties to sign up. As the lecky is in your name you have every right to expect some written clarification
    I'm not particularly happy with this suggestion. I'd rather just pay our own esb bills. The 70-30 ratio is unfair, since the neighbour uses far more electricity than we do. all parties seem to acknowledge this and there is no reason to assume she will suddenly start using half the amount we do.

shouldn't make any diff if you just type up the docu as i interperet it you payment will be 70% of the estimated for a 2 - bed
    this also has the advantage that yer bills will be regular
    now here is a link to some hid lamps

We're getting a rebate yeah.
    If it's 70% of a fair estimate then it's acceptable. 70% of the full amount is not acceptable. We'll have to decide ourselves what fair is. An estimate based on bills during the winter is going to be higher than it should be for instance.
    Seems like it's being resolved in a satisfactory manner. The rent is decent for what and where it is, and I'm aware rents in dublin have gone up generally recently, so we'll try to be agreeable with working this out.
    Thanks again for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I saw the devices in Dolphin Electric. It is a trade suppliers to the building business on the South Circular Rd. Dolphins barn, Dublin 8. You can probably find a phone number for them in the phone book. They are not difficult to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A lot of energy use is per property, not per person - one fridge, one TV, one set of lights, one oven. Two people in one apartment might only use 30-50% more electricty than one person in one apartment.

That would be a somewhere between a 60:40 and a 56:43 split. Certainly one person is unlikely to use less than half the electricity of two people implied by 70:30 (35:35:30).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

I wouldnt go for 70% if i were you.
    I would ask for your own meter.
    Thin about it like this.
    If electricity only cost you 30% of what it normally costs wouldnt you use it like it was water? I'n sure your neighbor will.

TCollins wrote:
    I wouldnt go for 70% if i were you.
    I would ask for your own meter.
    Thin about it like this.
    If electricity only cost you 30% of what it normally costs wouldnt you use it like it was water? I'n sure your neighbor will.

30% of the estimated usage in a 2bed flat
    not of the acuall usage

a new meter would mean a whole floor re-wireto split the circuits and then re-plastering painting etc
    nobody will want that

No actually it seems like he's suggesting 30% of actual usage. Which is not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I have a kind of similar situation here as the OP has.

Two semidetached houses, meters outside. This week we discovered that my meter is counting the neighburs electricity and vice versa (we switched off the main fuse to see which meter wheel stopped). we discovered this as they were assigned the meter readings (utterly different figures) to the wrong meters.

Now they have to recalculate the bills for the last nine months as we refuse to pay. Clearly not our fault if some clown is connecting the meter on house number 45 to the electricity system of house number 44!

Muppets!

pwd wrote:
    No actually it seems like he's suggesting 30% of actual usage. Which is not acceptable

70/30

on what grounds

is she living on her own

1 flat should be 1 share

I have a kind of similar situation here as the OP has.

Two semidetached houses, meters outside. This week we discovered that my meter is counting the neighburs electricity and vice versa (we switched off the main fuse to see which meter wheel stopped). we discovered this as they were assigned the meter readings (utterly different figures) to the wrong meters.

Now they have to recalculate the bills for the last nine months as we refuse to pay. Clearly not our fault if some clown is connecting the meter on house number 45 to the electricity system of house number 44!

Muppets!
    nice

a shop unit meter i was running had not been read in 5 years
    they finially copped and called in
    i pointed out we were only there 3 years and had only started using electricity for the previous 12 hours

the esb had no leg to stand on so we paid nothing the meter was read and we pay from now on

saved thousands

no wonder they need to use dutch postoffice boxes

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't think I could live with sharing the esb with a neighbour. For all you know she has the immersion on 25/7 and has an indoor hydroponics facility!

I guess it must be some work but surely in the long run the landlord should have to have two seperate measureable boxes for two apartments. You didn't consent to sharing the bills with this other lady, what if she decides she's a bit short one month?

Get landlord to get a qualified electrician in, or maybe the esb itself in this case (haven't a clue)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Is he that cheap that he cant get the house isolated? I.e put each flat on a meter? Its not that hard to do when all the wires are there.

I would not be happy with the present setup at all.

Advertisement