Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland V Ireland Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

spanner wrote:
    he only had darcy who was completely man marked, I would have put that down to good scottish defence than bad decision making

I'll have to see a replay but wasn't there a player following right behind Hickie? He also had D'Arcy on his shoulder, so even if he couldn't have offloaded he could at least have set up a ruck.... He would probably even have been better off getting bundled into touch as it would have kept the Scots in their 22.

Anyway, water under the bridge now. As long as we can beat Italy by 5 more points then France can the Scots - we should be laughing.

I hope!
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Will ROG play next week? I know if you get knocked out its 10 days off isnt it, or has it been scraped? Does that apply to losing concisousness aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Will ROG play next week? I know if you get knocked out its 10 days off isnt it, or has it been scraped? Does that apply to losing concisousness aswell?

I think that's concussion, not losing consciousness. It's just probably rare for a player to lose consciousness without having picked up a blow to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

They are i think. I'd be alot more confident of France racking up points at home to scotland then Ireland away to Italy.
    Are you sure after seeing their chronic performance against England today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

One good thing about today was that it showed Ireland can win without Isaac Boss.
    That irritating and hateful player is surplus to requirements - so back to New Zealand with you.
    What in Gods name is that about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Diarmuid wrote:
    Are you sure after seeing their chronic performance against England today?

Yet people seem sure we will rack up the points against Italy after are chronic performance aganst Scotland yesterday.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Yet people seem sure we will rack up the points against Italy after are chronic performance aganst Scotland yesterday.:confused:

Your predictions in the last week have a lot to be desired. If the trend continues, Ireland will beat Italy by 50 points and Scotland will beat France.

Very please EOS didn't follow your suggestion below;
    So, will steady eddie actually decided to give some players a bit of game time? I wouldnt bet on it, after all there is still a championship and a Triple crown to be won!

I'd make at least 6 changes. Boss, Flannery, Best are the straight away obvious ones. Wallace has to come in for O'gara. I'd give MOC a start too. Geordan Murphy should be given a start at full back. Trimble should be given a shout at outside centre too. The experiment of Horgan first centre and D'arcy 2nd didnt work and.

Maybe move jennings into the squad and give heaslip and try at number 8 for Leamy.:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Linford wrote:
    Your predictions in the last week have a lot to be desired. If the trend continues, Ireland will beat Italy by 50 points and Scotland will beat France.

Be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You'd think our centres would be much better then scotlands aswell.
    So you'd rather the Scottish centres?

Linford wrote:
    Your predictions in the last week have a lot to be desired.

If the trend continues, Ireland will beat Italy by 50 points and Scotland will beat France.

Huh? These were my predictions last week. If the the trend continues, it will actually be italy beating ireland by 50 points.
    Scotland +14
    France -7
    Italy +6

Linford wrote:

i dont thing the chances would of made a huge difference myself.

Sangre - of course i wouldnt. I am just saying having better centres doesnt make winning a game a whole lost easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Huh? These were my predictions last week. If the the trend continues, it will actually be italy beating ireland by 50 points.

My issue with your posts last week, like the one I posted (and I was taking the p!ss a little) was that it, like a lot of other people (see post where guy was going to bet on France at 3-1 on), were seeing the match against Scotland as a guaranteed win for Ireland and as unimportant, akin to an Autumn international against the likes of a pacific Island or northern american team.

Didn't mean to cause offence, just your post on the suggestions for EOS to make changes stuck in my head.

I still think he should of made changes. I dont think the new players would of done a whole lot worse. Also, look at england, due to changes(and injuries) they have probaly found there best 15.

The team that will start next week against Wales will be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Way too close for my liking!
    18 - 19

Way too close. They won didn't they. You hardly expected Scotland to lay down and allow us to thrash them did you?

What is it with us Irish and all the negativity about the performance.
    Rugby a lot of the times is won and lost by errors, bad play, dodgy refereeing etc etc.There is no such thing as an easy win in the 6 nations, not anymore. The 6 teams are all very good, below New Zeland and Australia I believe, but still very close in terms of the 6 nations. It's like in Ireland we are not happy unless we win with ease or when we do win with ease, we slag off the opponents at them being weak and useless. Ireland make mistakes, some silly ones but so do all the teams in the 6 nations. It's what separates a win from a loss. We went to Murrayfield and beat a damn tough, dirty resilient Scottish side. And we did it coming from behind which showed real guts and character. It may not have been the prettiest affair, but most times that's rugby and Scotland certainly were not going to lie down and give us a free reign. Lay off all the negativity. Ireland as usual were fantastic. Even in defeat we always battle and play to our best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Play to our best? What game were you watching?

The fact is that Ireland have been compared with the very top teams in the world (i.e. NZ) over the past 6 months particular. Performances like we got last weekend make a mockery of those comparisons.

A top level side would beat Scotland relatively comfortably. Remember Australia, who we comfortably beat in the Autumn? They put 40 points on Scotland.

Struggling past Scotland or Italy is not good enough for this side, considering the players we have. This will be very obvious when we suffer a drop in the quality of players available in 5/10 years or whenever, and we're trying to win a 6N title with inferior resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

bugler wrote:

The fact is that Ireland have been compared with the very top teams in the world (i.e. NZ) over the past 6 months particular. Performances like we got last weekend make a mockery of those comparisons.

A top level side would beat Scotland relatively comfortably. Remember Australia, who we comfortably beat in the Autumn? They put 40 points on Scotland.

All very true. I think Ireland's problem is they dont believe they can be the best in the world. The national hysteria about thrashing a poor England side was ridiculous. That's what great teams do! Go out, beat the life out of these teams, expect to win every match. Just get on with it! We need to get out of this 'we have to be the underdogs' mentality that plagues Irish sport, coz they're the one team where thats not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

can we for once stop with this "Ireland don't believe in themselves" mantra.
    I'm guessing the french don't believe in themselves either after being dominated by England. :rolleyes:

Murrayfield has been a tough place to play over the last 2 seasons. Scotland beat England and France there last season. Those matches were exactly like Saturday's match. Tough, scrappy, handling errors, little attacking play. We did well to win imo. Italy won there primarily due to some large slices of luck regarding their tries.

bugler wrote:

Struggling past Scotland or Italy is not good enough for this side, considering the players we have. This will be very obvious when we suffer a drop in the quality of players available in 5/10 years or whenever, and we're trying to win a 6N title with inferior resources.

I never made Ireland out to be the best. I still believe the southern hemisphere teams to be 10 points clear of any of the 6 nations sides. That's just the level at the momemt. Does that make Ireland poor?, absolutely not. To me they are a top 6 team in the world and travelling to Murrayfield with the expectation of another triple crown and coming from behind to clinch victory over a dogged determined Scottish side deserves nothing but praise.
    It's actually arrogance on our part (fans and media) and disrespect to Scotland and Italy that we have people mocking the Irish, just because the score line was close. The absolute arrogance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nice to see George Hook say 'I refuse to use the expression a win is a win is a win'.

It really is a mindless phrase.

One good thing about today was that it showed Ireland can win without Isaac Boss.
    That irritating and hateful player is surplus to requirements - so back to New Zealand with you.

ehy?
    unless you know Boss personally why are you making these comments? Even if you do they are completely irrevelant here! what matters is his performances on the pitch for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can never recall Ireland being a great team.
    Grossly overated and limited.

We'll see come the World Cup how accurate that statement is.

Advertisement