Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland V Ireland Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

^^ id have to completely agree with you Redundo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

6 min: Italy 21 - 0 Scotland
    80 min: Ireland 19 - 18 Scotland

OK, so that first one was a once off. But still, not good enough, too much indiscipline and way too many costly errors. Wasn't expecting to have a subdued sense of relief at the end of that one! Any clinging hope that points difference might swing the championship for us can be truly fecked out the window now. Anyhoo, it's a Triple Crown... I guess. On the balance of things, I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The England game was two weeks ago was'nt it? So no excuses for having a Croker hang-over. Maybe they should have played for thier provinces and shaken the topor off.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Woeful game. Which isn't a surprise, the same happened to England and France last year when playing Scotland.

The only plus was POC putting in an immense performance today. He was everywhere in the loose - and he ripped that last ball out that denied Scotland their last attacking move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Are you kidding?? The ref gave some very dodgy calls our way.

Nope aint kidding, yea there were 2 or 3 flat at best passes..

But playwise, we didnt get any luck when we were attacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

We didn't get any luck because we were sloppy with our passing and because our runners weren't always aware of the support just on their shoulders.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Nice to see George Hook say 'I refuse to use the expression a win is a win is a win'.

It really is a mindless phrase.

One good thing about today was that it showed Ireland can win without Isaac Boss.
    That irritating and hateful player is surplus to requirements - so back to New Zealand with you.

Baffling comment???:confused:

When has any one ever said Boss was essential for Ireland to win?
    Irritating ? Hatreful ? not really relevant comments for a rugby forum are they?!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

wasn't a great display, none of the breaks turned into to anything good. looked like a lack of concetration. Dissapointed Hickie didn't finish his chance, getting your foot into the in goal area before the ball isn't great. It was a good tackle from Lamont but Hickie should have seen him coming and dived for the line. Did well in first half to tackle and compete with patterson though.

Ah well, another triple crown and hopefully a kick in the arse for them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There goes the championship aswell. Whatever slim chance we had of winning it has just been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

daveym wrote:

a kick in the arse for them..

Thats what we have been sayint about all of the poor preformances. And it hasnt really been a kick in the arse :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Daveym wrote:
    wasn't a great display, none of the breaks turned into to anything good. looked like a lack of concetration. Dissapointed Hickie didn't finish his chance, getting your foot into the in goal area before the ball isn't great. It was a good tackle from Lamont but Hickie should have seen him coming and dived for the line. Did well in first half to tackle and compete with patterson though.

I think Hickie should have off-loaded to his right right, or behind him. He had plenty of support in better try-scoring positions and he knew a tackle would be coming in from Lamont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Redundo wrote:

It seemed like Ireland had abandoned all the aspects of their game that make them a great team.
    I can never recall Ireland being a great team.
    Grossly overated and limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I had Scotland @ +14 as part of my weekend accumulator.
    I never expected it to be THAT close :o

Redundo wrote:
    I think Hickie should have off-loaded to his right right, or behind him. He had plenty of support in better try-scoring positions and he knew a tackle would be coming in from Lamont.

He didn't have any support that I could see, Darcy inside him with 2 scots on his shoulder. As conor o'shea pointed out the scots covered the inside well forcing him to go on his own..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

seemingly ROG got choked in the final ruck:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

^^^attempted murder according to Mc Gurk!!!!

O'Sullivan didn't mince his words either

There goes the championship aswell. Whatever slim chance we had of winning it has just been lost.

how so?

1 France 3 +50 6
    2 Ireland 4 +38 6
    3 England 3 +5 4

We need england to beat france and then we will likely be within 10 points
    of them going in to last game, don't fancy our chances but don't see how
    they are much worse after today?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

daveym wrote:
    how so?

1 France 3 +50 6
    2 Ireland 4 +38 6
    3 England 3 +5 4

We need england to beat france and then we will likely be within 10 points
    of them going in to last game, don't fancy our chances but don't see how
    they are much worse after today?

we were supposed to whip scotland today to give us an even beter points diference points

RuggieBear wrote:
    we were supposed to whip scotland today to give us an even beter points diference points

Oh I realise that, just don't think our chances are any more 'gone' than they were after beating England.

• Advertisement

They are i think. I'd be alot more confident of France racking up points at home to scotland then Ireland away to Italy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Redundo wrote:
    Why the hell did Ireland try to drive 70-80% of our attacking ball straight through the middle of the Scottish pack?

For quite some time now I have been asking myself the same question. I'd much sooner see them play the ball out wide, creating space to unleash our great back line. Never having played rugby myself, my knowledge of the game is somewhat limited so maybe someone would be good enough to enlighten me on this matter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Basically because if you try and play an 'out-wide' game without creating a platfrom for it (e.g. rucks/scrum/line-out) then you end up with a flat, lateral game where the other team just fans out and you can't get anywhere. You just end up going from side to side going nowhere. You need pick and drive ball to suck in players and create space for you wingers. Ireland don't do it because they think the forwards will score a try off it, they do it because they want to create space out wide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Cheers Sangre. I understand the bit about using the ruck/ maul to create space. It's just the seemingly relentless targeting of the centre channel which leaves me scratching my head. It looked like incredibly hard work with little apparent reward.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oasisfan

thats true the award seemed little purely becuase the scots were physically perpared but in the world cup if we come up against the likes of NZ the only hope we have is to pick and drive as we would be humiliated in the backs against a team like that....to be honest its not all about the distance you make even if the ball carrier only gets an extra blade of grass further they are still sucking the scotish players in and are applying more pressure which in turn opens up gaps/causes mistakes on the oppositions part and allows us to score....
    Good example of a forwards game is the munster team if you get their Dvd about winning the heiniken cup it has stuff on it about "pick and go" should help you understand the game bit better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Redundo wrote:

he only had darcy who was completely man marked, I would have put that down to good scottish defence than bad decision making

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

They seemed to be lacking any imagination in attack, ROG failed to give the little kick over head when the scottish line was up so quick, scotland did well to disprute the way we wanted to play.

It was an off day, I still would not be making any general swiping statements of how we have ruined our chances in the world cup

and unlike what George Hook said a win is win

so updated table now:

1 France 4 +42 6
    2 Ireland 4 +38 6
    3 England 4 +13 6

I think that gives us a great chance, france will still be favourites but not by much. Big advantage playing second but if we can win and put on a decent score then the pressure will be on them..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

oasisfan wrote:
    thats true the award seemed little purely becuase the scots were physically perpared but in the world cup if we come up against the likes of NZ the only hope we have is to pick and drive as we would be humiliated in the backs against a team like that....

What?

Firstly, did you not see the 2 summer tests?

Secondly, our centres are much better than theirs.

• Advertisement

You'd think our centres would be much better then scotlands aswell.

Advertisement