Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raggggg Wk!!!

Options
  • 02-03-2007 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

ah it is tough, being a real person for awhile, stuck up here in intel in the heart of horse county for coop but alas i managed to book my days off for Ragg Wk!....Yeah Baby!!

Counting the days now so I am, so does anyone know the schedule for it?? word on the street is that Director and The Blizzards are playin but does anyone know whats nyts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Monday
    Time Event Venue
    11am Tunes Ulster Bank Stage
    1pm Rag Week Launch Ulster Bank Stage
    1.15pm Nathans Hot Dog Eating Competition Ulster Bank Stage
    1.30pm BeachBall Beach Volleyball SU Courtyard
    1.30pm Shave & Wax Ulster Bank Stage
    2-3.00pm Spanish Wine Drinking Ulster Bank Stage
    2.15pm Ice Cream Eating Competition Ulster Bank Stage
    2.30pm Limbo Competition Ulster Bank Stage
    3.00pm The Great Race Results Ulster Bank Stage
    3.30pm Pizza Eating Competition Ulster Bank Stage
    3-4.00pm Boat Racing Ulster Bank Stage
    4.00pm Surf Simulator Ulster Bank Stage
    8pm Director on stage Stables Courtyard
    10pm Buses to Alloha Ball Stables
    10.30pm Alloha Ball Trinity Rooms

Tuesday
    Time Event Venue
    12noon Raft Race River
    12.30pm Tug of War Across the River River
    1pm Reuben – King of Comedy Ulster Bank Stage
    1.45pm Vets Lucky Dip Ulster Bank Stage
    1.45pm Bucking Bronco Ulster Bank Stage
    2.00pm Milk the Cow Ulster Bank Stage
    2.00pm Boat Racing Ulster Bank Stage
    2.30pm Yard of Ale Ulster Bank Stage
    3.00pm Pie Eating Competition Ulster Bank Stage
    3.30pm Pig Sty Wrestling Ulster Bank Stage
    4.00pm Human Horse Show Ulster Bank Stage
    8.00pm Christy Moore Tribute Stables
    10.00pm Buses for Bogmans Ball Stables
    10.30pm Bogmans Ball The Sin Bin

Wednesday
    Time Event Venue
    11am Tunes Ulster Bank Stgae
    12.45pm Irelands Largest Hug Ulster Bank Stage
    1-4.00pm Race Day Ulster Bank Stage
    1.30pm Ski Simulator Ulster Bank Stage
    2.00pm Snow Globe Ulster Bank Stage
    2.00pm Boat Racing Ulster Bank Stage
    2.30pm Snow Bungee Run Ulster Bank Stage
    2.45pm Xmas Dinner Eating Competition Ulster Bank Stage
    3.00pm Yard of Coke Ulster Bank Stage
    3.30pm Xmas Pass the Parcel Ulster Bank Stage
    4.00pm Hypnotist Ulster Bank Stage
    8.00pm The Blizzards Stables
    10.00pm Buses for Trinity Rooms & Sin Bin Stables
    10.30pm Snow Ball Trinity Rooms
    10.30pm Tennis Ho’s & Golf Pro’s Sin Bin

Thursday
    Time Event Venue
    12noon St Patricks Day Parade Stables Courtyard
    1.00pm Burger Eating Competition Ulster Bank Stage
    1.15pm Wheelie Bin Grand Prix Stables Courtyard
    1.45pm Gunge Tank Ulster Bank Stage
    2.00pm Green, White & Orange Ulster Bank Stage
    Cucumber Eating
    Hard Boiled Egg Eating
    Bean Eating
    2.30pm Jelly Wrestling Ulster Bank Stage
    3.00pm Green Beer Drinking Comp. Ulster Bank Stage
    3.30pm Giant Twister Ulster Bank Stage
    4.00pm Trad Session Ulster Bank Stage
    6.00pm FireWalk SU Courtyard
    8.00pm Mystery Tour Who Knows?
    8.00pm Fred Stables
    10.00pm Ceili Mor Stables

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ah it is tough, being a real person for awhile, stuck up here in intel in the heart of horse county for coop but alas i managed to book my days off for Ragg Wk!....Yeah Baby!!

Counting the days now so I am, so does anyone know the schedule for it?? word on the street is that Director and The Blizzards are playin but does anyone know whats nyts??

Anything decent is sold out, but I gots a Totti card:p :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Got tickets for the Blizzards and Director..I hate the fact you have to but tickets 2 weeks in advance for it though...ruins any possible sense of spontaneity for the week. That, and I have my driving test on the Wednesday, so I have to trek back up to Dublin and down again, and be in the stables for 8.00pm somehow. Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 stoneybuckets17

Cheers Kaimera!.. Looks like a pretty good line for the wk!! well impressed with the Blizzards and Director! big respect to the the ents committee! (just to clarify I said ents committee, NOT ents crew...w**kers!)......Only got the thurs and Friday off work tho so not gonna make either but my fellow Corkonions, Fred should be good on the Thurs nyt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

ninty9er wrote:
    Anything decent is sold out, but I gots a Totti card:p :p:p:p
    They dont actually hold tickets for you if you have a totti, its still first come first served you just dont have to pay. So if you dont have the ticket by now your pretty much screwed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Anyone here doing the great race?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

was meant to be but had to pull out, 3 of my mates are goin on it. Should be some weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I'm doing it!

Woohoo!

Although, we seem to be the only team that I've encountered that has not made out a strategy and is not taking it in the least bit seriously...!

Maybe it's a coincidence that we're all girls too though! :D

cooperguy wrote:
    They dont actually hold tickets for you if you have a totti, its still first come first served you just dont have to pay. So if you dont have the ticket by now your pretty much screwed

Nope...checked with Keith Piggott of EightBall..."show the totti for the week"

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

exciting stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Whats a totti?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Cheers Kaimera!.. Looks like a pretty good line for the wk!! well impressed with the Blizzards and Director! big respect to the the ents committee! (just to clarify I said ents committee, NOT ents crew...w**kers!)......Only got the thurs and Friday off work tho so not gonna make either but my fellow Corkonions, Fred should be good on the Thurs nyt!!!

Man that annoys me, I worked 70 hours for rag week (I was ent crew for 4 years from 97 to 01) and we all we got was sh1te off everyone. Without Ents crew around you dont get a rag week. I would start work at 11 in the morning and work tlll 4 in the morning. And that was from Saturday to the Thursday. And that was getting paid £2.50 an hour.

THe amount of time i spent
    making sure people got home safely,
    getting threatened with a kife,
    have guys take a swing at you because you told them the bus was full and they couldnt get on and to wait until the next pulled up which was right behind it
    taking people to hospital (first ever night, i was holding a guys scalp together in the ambulance and had to go to his house because it was his housemate who did it to him),
    breaking up idiotic fights,
    having 3 guys come back after the night was over to pick a fight,
    dealing with idiots on pills and guys dealing,
    having a whole load of drunk students try to ram themselves onto a bus and give you abuse because the traffic is bad and the bus isnt back,
    trying to be nice and get people to leave politlely ( i only threw out 3 people in my whole time, everyone else left of their own accord)
    and generally getting abuse hurled at me,

when i could have being like stoneybuckets17 and calling them all w**nkers and just getting pissed. You do get the odd person saying thank you for the night.

Mods feel free to delete this post if you feel it takes away from the general spirit of the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'd tend to agree with Ginger......anytime I've met someone from the ents crew or been on a night out organised by the ents crew they've always been reasonably sound. They have a job to do and from what I can see do it well enough.

Cheers
    Rory

ragweek is an over-hyped over-blown and over-silly excercise is wasting time and money. its purpose is only to give centre stage to idiocy, drunkenness, immaturity and questionable lifeforms who think they are important and that society should bow down before them and be in awe of their increasingly irrelevant antics. Is it any wonder why the world is in the sh*t it is in when a week of senseless drinking is hailed as a great achievement?

Why instead of all the money that is poured into the pockets of the drink companies why isnt something more worthwhile done? Enough stupidity goes on in the college year without having to encourage more with rag week - a change of thinking is needed - change ragweek to signify one where something is given back to the community to compensate for what happens during rest of the college year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Why instead of all the money that is poured into the pockets of the drink companies why isnt something more worthwhile done?

I agree. I think it would be useful if, oh I dunno, some amount of money, we'll say 11 grand, was raised for charity or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yeah, that would be useful Peteee... oh wait, I see what you did there.

Rag Week, as an idea is good, its intentions are good and it DOES actually help places like the Milford Hospice. Problems arise from the many who don't give donations or volunteer, instead deciding to get plastered at 12 in the day, pick fights, vandalise...

Rag Week is meant to be fun and helpful. It has been neither of these for the past few years.

Rag Week is meant to be fun and helpful. It has been neither of these for the past few years.

Yea, ya drunken lout!

kaimera wrote:
    ya drunken lout!

I dare say, that sounds like an insult, kettle!

Otacon wrote:
    I dare say, that sounds like an insult, kettle!

An observation Mr. Pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

Rag week is a week for the dim-witted lower-orders of UL to get 'plastered'; get each other pregnant; and kick each other into the head. I for one, will refrain from such goings-on.

[edit]Unless you have proof, try keep the wild accusations to yerself please

• Advertisement

Peteee wrote:
    I agree. I think it would be useful if, oh I dunno, some amount of money, we'll say 11 grand, was raised for charity or something

and how much was "raised" for the drinks companies in the same period?
    yes i applaude the fact that 11,000 was donated but it is nothing compared to what is spent on drink. if you take the sum of €11,000 and take the number of students on campus it doesnt equate too much per head now does it? but yet no-one seems bothered by spending a few hundred euro on drink during rag week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

My god this thread is starting to annoy me now. Saying that RAG week is "a week for the dim-witted lower-orders of UL" and the rest of the drivvel being spouted round here is just stupid. Its like saying everybody in Limerick is a knacker who will stab you as soon as you look at them or every Irish person is a drunken idiot. As with every event, place and occassion you will get the idiots during RAG week who will cause trouble but the vast majority of students are out for a good time that week and nothing more. So stop looking down you noses at people and get back to reality.

cooperguy wrote:
    ...the vast majority of students are out for a good time that week and nothing more...

I, and 'most' of my friends are in this bracket. I'm not saying that Rag Week is all bad, its just most of the stories one hears after it is about stupidity run amuck.

Of course, there are plenty of people who behave normally. What I don't like is the attitude some people have, thinking that Rag Week is about getting 'b*ll*xed' and acting the maggot.

Again, I'm not complaining about Rag Week, just these yobs who don't treat it properly.

Actually if you look at the link the figure is upwards of €20k, just so happens that in 2006 €11k of that stayed local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭massplanck

Rag week used to be 10 times better in UL. Massive marquees were erected on campus for events, now its just pokey gigs in the stables and stupid eating competitions .:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

massplanck wrote:
    Rag week used to be 10 times better in UL. Massive marquees were erected on campus for events, now its just pokey gigs in the stables and stupid eating competitions .:p

Oi you!! what are you doing on here?? get back to your cepstral analysis will ya :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

massplanck wrote:

Somewhat ironic really but... The residents have raised objections on many the occasion with regard to setting up marquees on campus, due to student (anti-social) behaviour...hence no can do...which in turn means that RAG week becomes more about the drinking again...which in its own turn increases anti-social behaviour...vicious circle really.

It's done for another year anyway. Phew.

what residents were complaining about the marqees? the college is hardly in the middle of a residential area? Maybe they were getting pissed off with all the non-college people that came out for the gigs there. Either way those nights were special.

+ all the money raised from the marqeee gigs could go to a local charity as opposed to going straight into the hands of the Lodge or Trinity Rooms owners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

massplanck wrote:
    what residents were complaining about the marqees? the college is hardly in the middle of a residential area?

Ahh yes it is in a residential area. Look at all the housing estates surrounding the college. A lot of houses have permanent residents in them and there have been complaints before from various residents associations.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote:
    Ahh yes it is in a residential area. Look at all the housing estates surrounding the college. A lot of houses have permanent residents in them and there have been complaints before from various residents associations.

Cheers
    Rory

all those housing estates used to be full of students too though. And i dont have much sympathy for people who bought a house there since then! Anyway i dont know how a marqeee in the college will effect a few residents in Milford Grange? The students are still going to be wandering around on the lock anyway? I dont get it. Marqee or no marqee = loads of locked students going nuts/on the piss. And anyway judging from the amount of on-campus accomodation the drunken walk home for most students wont be through Elm Park/Milford etc..
    Make 10,000/20,000 from the on campus gigs. And give it to the Hospice. Not straight into pockets of the owners of the Lodge etc
    Why dont the students organise a sponsored CLEAN up (yes clean!!) of Mildford Grange,Elm Park, Briarfield of all the rubbish that has been strewn all over the place for the last 20 years. Plant some flowers etc.. ie Give something back for once and maybe the residents wont see rag week as such a terrible event. duh!

No one has any imagination in UL anymore esp running events\rag week etc. Cucumber eating competitions. Sausage eating competitions. Pie Eating competitions. Gimme a break. And of course a cushty closed shop ents company... ! Jobs for the boys! Id rather UL got a few enthusiastic first years to run events!!

UL is a serious imagination/creativity-free zone.

Advertisement