Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dabs.ie order - probably worst service ever

Options
  • 01-03-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Last Friday morning I placed an order with dabs.ie for a few bits and pieces that were needed for my new built.

On Monday morning I received an email that there was an issue with the Secutity check, and they asked me to update my details online, and to send them an email. I updated my details within 5 minutes and responded via email.

Since then the Status of my order is "Awaiting Security Check". I sent them emails requesting an update and the processing of the order, but no response at all.

When I used the live chat they first told me that they couldn't help, and referred me to the Webaccount team. Later on I chatted with another person, and she more or less told me to better cancel the order, as I was a pain in the ass anyway.

That's service... just checked, and my order is still in Awaiting Security Check Status. If would have cancelled long ago, but one part I can't find anywehere else (for that price).

Useless Idiots over there. Will never order anything again with them.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Security check eh..are you sure it was from dabs? You might be better giving them a call if they have a service number to get some answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Yeah, def. dabs. They verify CC addresses for security purposes, which is fine with me. But not if it takes one week to do.

They don't do phone. According to their support person they are a pure internet company, and only deal with customers via email and chat. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Did you have to email them your cc details or any other details?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Had a similar issue with them. Some BS about my address not being recognised. I emailed them but didn't receive a response so I cancelled the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭verbatim

Same here, tried to buy some stuff off them, and one week later they were still checking the credit card, so I cancelled and went to komplett.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are they still at that craic? I had the same issue years ago (1999 I think) when I first used Dabs. They wanted my previous address as I had moved within the past 3 years. Your current address should be enough to verify with the credit card, it works for every other company so why not them? I just replied with my previous address (which incidentally was never used with the credit card) and everything was fine.

In terms of price, I've often noticed the same items being cheaper on Dabs than Komplett for example. But I've always found the difference to be minimum. Actually I've just ordered a whole system for a friend and although Komplett were dearer for certain items, they were cheaper over all.

Have you tried other online shops for what you're looking for? Overclockers for example. Never used them myself but hear some good things about them. http://www.ankermann-pc.com/en/ might also be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your placing your order

**Please note that if you do not action this email within 5 working days we will not be able to process this order and will cancel it on your behalf**

Regarding address:

Eire

We have attempted to authorise your address which you provided when placing your recent order with us, but have experienced a problem with this process.

This could be something as simple as a line missing from your address or that the address is a new building.

Can you please confirm by return?

- The address details (above) you provided are correct?
    - The first line of your credit card address.
    - Your relationship with the above address (eg home/work/friend).
    - If a work address, please provide the company name.
    - If a relative/friend please provide their full name.

Please ensure you check your details online before emailing us, if you find that amendments are needed please do as follows:

Log on to your online account, in the account options section select the ‘edit contact details’ option to amend your card registered address. To change your delivery address select the ‘manage addresses’ option. Once you have made these amendments (if applicable) please e-mail us with the correct information to enable us to complete the processing of your order.

We use information provided by your card issuer to ensure the details that you have provided when placing your order are correct. We apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced, however these checks are put in place to ensure card holder protection is at a maximum and to reduce the incidence of fraud.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Regards

Card Security Department
    dabs.ie

That was the email I got from them the day after the order. I responded within minutes telling them that the address was correct, home address, etc.
    I then got this:
    We have received your email message with the subject:

* RE: dabs.ie Address Check - Order Ref *******

We will action your query as soon as possible, but ask that you are patient and do not send a duplicate query.

Thank you.
    dabs.ie

So I didn't send a duplicate query. And they still hadn't contacted me 4 days later so I cancelled the order. Strangely they never emailed to ask why the order was cancelled or even to confirm cancellation. Now that's brutal customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 giancaldo

I have had exactly the same problem with them many times. It's good to see I'm not the only one out there. It's a pity they're the only one's who have such a good range, good prices, and cheap delivery. their customer service is appalling though. First they said my card was out of date. Then they said there was a problem with the address, eventhough I used the exact same address and card successfully a few weeks ago. Now the status says that I need to reply to their email eventhough I replied 2 days ago. Rang up the bank and was told they debited and refunded 1 cent to my credit card. Dreadful service.
    I think I'll take my business elsewhere next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Yeah I had similar. Because my delivery address was different to billing, they sent me out the e-mail. I replied to it ASAP but you guessed it......4 Days and nothing! I cancelled the order and then changed the dilivery address to the billing address, and i still got the securety mail. I also tried communicating using the online chat help, but they couldnt help in any way.

I was so frustrated as i usually order off the excellent Komplett.ie but the motherboard I was looking for is temperarly out of stock. I also read on dabs.ie that they require a landline phone number, which nowadays its common to be without one. To me they are crippling themselves by having such tight securety!

I ended up finding the motherboard on pixmania.ie, but at a higher price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I'm stuck in address check hell here too, they asked my were there any letters wrong on my address. Well for a start I put in Ireland, NOT Eire. You know, if you go changing words that would more likely mess it up.

Its silly, my address is not wrong- but it failed to authorise?? What the hell is with that? I thought they would be a good alternative to komplett, but no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

when did you order aphex?

I ordered a case today simply because no where elses had it for that price so I got my uncles credit card set him up an account with his address and everything made sure by him the details were right.. yet they tell me its wrong? :confused:

I replied to there email and now im waiting reply whether or not they reply I don't know if I dont get a reply within two days ill cancel! I would happily pay more on komplett for it cause there service is better! They just dont have the case I want :(

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

DeafVision wrote:
    when did you order aphex?

I ordered a case today simply because no where elses had it for that price so I got my uncles credit card set him up an account with his address and everything made sure by him the details were right.. yet they tell me its wrong? :confused:

I replied to there email and now im waiting reply whether or not they reply I don't know if I dont get a reply within two days ill cancel! I would happily pay more on komplett for it cause there service is better! They just dont have the case I want :(
    I ordered it on Tuesday but canceled the order and got the same item off komplett for a similar price today. I waited over a day for them to accept the reply to my email. Having read this thread I decided it was pointless following it up. :mad:

They did reply to you though? Im going to wait a day or two for a reply if not ill cancel it!

Im just annoyed cause they have the case I want and komplett dont...

I cancelled my order :D

Screw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

pity i didn't spot this thread sooner :rolleyes:

what a crowd of usless buggers!! no phone, automated e-mail and messaging service, i guess it's tough when there's only one person running the show - at least thats the way it seems.

anyway i got the same security warning asked to reply which i did, i have waited 5 days, so today, well just minutes ago i cancelled the order, also deleted my cc details too,
    and to add insult to injury i get their 'Free' Newsletter in my inbox today like WTF!!!

i'd hate to have to deal with them with a returns situation huh?

They just lost out on a nice bit of business big thumbs down to Dabs.ie
    lesson learned!!

ive sourced the same item with Elara and it's actually a little cheaper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Same here; absolutely disgusted. Scott the customer support guy is as helpful as a bullet in the head. Ordered on Wednesday 02 of May, got a security response the next day. Replied to it and have been waiting since. It is now the following Wednesday and nothing makes any sense. How do people make money in this business?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I presume in the UK they just rely on the Postcode system, which of course we don't have here yet.

Still though, that is no real excuse for the security issues here, as most other UK companies don't seem to have that problem.

I cancelled the order today, finally. I thought I had made some progress with a helpful customer support representative, Anthony. He provided me with his personal e-mail address and told me he would deal with my order personally. I waited for twenty-four more hours but gave up after yet more silence. I believe they are experiencing technical issues as Anthony said they “have had this problem before”. Its their loss, I will never buy from Dabs.ie again, nor do I recommend them to anybody else.

Have to laugh, I got this e-mail:
    Thankyou for your e-mail,
    >
    > We have checked with Anthony and he has not received
    > the e-mail from you confirming the security
    > information. This will be the reason you have not
    > heard back from our security team with regards to
    > the order. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    >
    > Regards
    > Dabs.Com
    > Customer Service Team

Thing is I had sent it, and as to “This will be the reason”, it is just an obvious excuse for there incompetence.

You should direct them to this thread, if they're so bloody smart.

• Advertisement

Just did. They said it was interesting but declined to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

On dabs.ie, order for 218.10 euro. On verified by Visa screen it's going through as 218.10 POUNDS STERLING.

Spoke to Heather on the online tech support thing, who hung up (see below) when I asked her to stay on the line while I phoned the bank (her suggestion).

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
    An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
    The next available Agent will be with you in a moment.
    You have been connected to Heather .
    Heather : Good morning, how may we help you?
    (Me): hi
    (Me): am on dabs.ie
    (Me): have an order put together for 218.10 euro
    (Me): when i go to Place Order
    (Me): £218.10 sterling is the figure
    (Me): that will be deducted from my Visa
    Heather : Is this on the verified by visa page?
    (Me): it is
    Heather : Ok, you will be deducted in Euros, not Pounds
    (Me): can i take your word on it?
    Heather : I would advise you to contact your bank/card issuer as this screen is controlled by them.
    (Me): sounds like the dabs system is specifying the currency tho, as everything here is in euro by default?
    Heather : No, this page is controlled by the bank/card issuer, you will need to contact them for confirmation
    (Me): mmm
    (Me): i know they'll say that if it says sterling, sterling will be deducted
    Heather : Unfortunately I can only advise that you contact your card issuer
    (Me): how would you advise that I phrase the question to them?
    Heather : I can only advise that you inform them you are about to place an order and the Verified by Visa screen is showing the
    amount in sterling instead of Euros
    (Me): Ok, will you stay on the line for a few secs while I phone the Visa section at my bank...
    Heather : Unfortunately I cannot do that, if you have any more problems, please contact us again using this service.
    Heather : Thank you for using this service. Goodbye.
    Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
    Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wow. I was going to order my 8800 off Dabs (After all, to their credit, their video card prices right now are far better then Komplett), but after hearing some of this nonsense....I'm not going to come out with the classic 'I'm never, ever, using them...' - but I will definitely think twice, or look into other online retailers.

@ JHMEG

That’s ridicules. I suggest you print and keep a copy of everything. Your bank should sort this out for you if they’re worth what there charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Lots of negative feedback, bummer.
    I've been searching for a week or 2 now for some stuff and dabs is the only place that has all the items i want, at a low price with cheap shipping, i think i might risk it.
    Fingers crossed, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I ordered Ram off them recently and bar it arriving in an bloody huge & un-necessary box, they were grand. Fast service and no credit card issues at all..first time dealing with them too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

After a few hours of back and forth e-mails and "awaiting security check" my order was completed. Now i just hope it arrives and all works, because i've heard a few bad things about that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Consistency

I had same issue as JHMEG when the verified by Visa screen quoted the price in sterling, after getting onto dabs.ie and then verfied by Visa support nobody could give a solution. In the end my credit card company said they would monitor the transaction to see if it went through in sterling or euro. It went through in Euro so that was a relief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pgleeson

I had the security check problem with them too, turns out they triggered a red flag with my bank cause they were trying to do all kinds of weird transactions on the card in order to verify it.

I just canceled my order and went with another site.

They're losing a lot of business because of all this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gorilla

:( Are they really this bad? I want to buy a laptop of them but after reading these comments I might think again. Is there anyone out there who has had a good experience with them, normally people don't post anything about a company if everything goes well.

Advertisement